Game Day Thread: Islanders at Sabres, 3/30/2007

nfreeman

While it's not good to let the NYIs back in to this. Maybe it serves a larger purpose. We need the NYIs to play Ottawa tough tomorrow. They need to have something to build on or Ottawa will run them out of their own building.

Agreed - he's skating harder and seems to be more involved in the play. Hopefully he is back to normal and is going to get hot before the playoffs start...

He would never use this as an excuse, but a very close family friend of his (my wife's cousin) passed away a couple of weeks ago at a young age. He was devastated, as were we all.

Players are human, remember.

I see that Detroit lost to Dallas in the shootout tonight. Here's our chance to gain a point on them for the President's Trophy.

Dallas, down 3-0 going into the 3rd, ties it up, including 2 goals in the final 3 and a half minutes, and beats Detroit in the shootout. The PT magic number is down to 9, and should be 7 after this game.

You beat me to it. :bag:

He would never use this as an excuse, but a very close family friend of his (my wife's cousin) passed away a couple of weeks ago at a young age. He was devastated, as were we all.

Whenever I saw Drury after the injury, he seemed depressed. I assumed it was from the injury. But that explains it. :(

Sorry to hear about it. My condolences.

Whenever I saw Drury after the injury, he seemed depressed. I assumed it was from the injury. But that explains it. :(

Thanks. It was rough. My wife has 15 first cousins (a very close Italian family), and they all grew up in Trumbull. 12 of them are boys; the oldest grew up with Chris and the rest of them totally look up to him of course, including the one who passed. :(

Same here, BRH. Never easy to deal with those kind of things, and it's exponentially more devastating to deal with when it's a young person involved.

Montreal loses but will stay in 8th because Carolina, and NYI lost tonight. That gives Toronto an opening to climb back in.

That makes the Pitt vs Toronto game interesting tomorrow....

Seems like no one wants the 7th and 8th seeds....

Two things I've noticed tonight (besides the vast improvement in the Sabres' play):

1. RJ has done a ridiculously good job calling the game tonight; probably the best I've heard him in a long, long while. I was wondering how he would respond to JL not being next to him and it seems to work much better than I thought.

2. Why isn't Jason Blake the captain of this Islanders team? Alexei Yashin is about as worthless as any player on their roster. Same with Miro, from what we saw of him tonight.

2. Why isn't Jason Blake the captain of this Islanders team? Alexei Yashin is about as worthless as any player on their roster. Same with Miro, from what we saw of him tonight.

Couple thoughts on that point:

First, I am having trouble figuring this out - is Alexei Yashin a more talented or slightly more motivated version of Alexander Daigle?

Second, I loved Rayzor's shot at Miro at the end - great time for him to score one of his late, meaningless goals right now...HA!

Finally, if you're Nolan - how far to you go to make sure Wang & Snow lock up Blake and show the door to Yashin & Satan?

Two is our magic number for the division and conference, right?

We have 107 points and 50 wins. The best Ottawa can do is 108 and 50, but because they own the head-to-head advantage against us we have to get to 109. The best Pittsburgh can do is 108 and 49, so we need just one point to eliminate them. New Jersey can do 108 and 50, but we win the tiebreaker based on a far better goal differential for the season, so we need just one point to put them away as well.

Win tomorrow night and the conference is ours, baby.

Archived