Game Day Thread: Islanders at Sabres, 3/30/2007

nfreeman

Finally, if you're Nolan - how far to you go to make sure Wang & Snow lock up Blake and show the door to Yashin & Satan?

Due to the nature of Yashin's contract, he isn't going anywhere. Can someone please explain to me why these Islanders absolutely love these double digit years in contracts? Dipietro's is for 15 years. Yashin's is for 10 years from the time he signed it, and all of the money is guaranteed. Why are these guys such idiots? Given that Yashin is paid about $6.65 million / year, it's virtually impossible to buy him out at 2/3 of the remaining contract (Please verify if I have the new CBA correct and if that is in fact the case for a buyout). They sign these guys to ridiculous contracts that make them untradeable and unable to cut/fire. And Yashin has had zero motivation to play since signing this contract, and I suspect Dipietro's motivation will progressively get worse when he slowly has no new contract to play for. I don't know but these guys who structure contracts for the Islanders are idiots.

Yeah, I know that Yashin isn't going anywhere, but I bet Nolan will be looking for someone to hobble him so they can IR him and maybe suggest retirement...

As far as the Isles go - you reap what you sow. Their new owner came in and thought he was so much smarter than everyone else, he's going to do it different, blah blah blah - now he is stuck with Yashin and DiPietro for the rest of their careers, regardless of whether they get better or worse. DiPietro's contract is less of a gamble overall - he is likely to get better and play pretty solid, but the motivation issue is likely a factor as well.

6-4? Only 40 seconds, but why do we continue to give up these late goals? This is the next thing we need to do is close out games in the last few minutes and stop giving up goals late in games we've already won.

Don't worry about this, this game was over in the first 10 minutes. The Sabres are ready for the playoffs, they've been waiting all year for them. I just hope no one gets injured in these remaining games. I think we haven't seen the best of the Sabres yet. In a week, that chip returns to their shoulder.

I know I have mentioned it before, but I am SO glad that I found this place first and don't post on some of the other Sabres message boards - I would lose my freaking mind. I have never seen non-Philly fans turn on their team & players so fast as I have on some other "Sabres" boards, and this board seems to have more intelligent posters (for the most part) that don't fanboy or poo-poo everything that happens, and actually understand hockey a little bit and think before they type.

Sorry for the rant, but I wandered over to another board just to see if they had any new stuff up, and you would think that Miller let in 4 goals from the oppositions' blue line or further. :angry:

So anyway -- here's to the smart posters (you know who you are) and to the rest of you - keep trying... (just kidding!) :beer:

Archived