Why did Mike Grier bolt so fast

RVJ

He didn't even wait around to see what the Sabres would offer him.

We could use the toughness and leadership that he brought.

Taylor Pyatt is amother guy. It seems we lost all the players with any size.

Im just worried about teams that play a very physical style of hockey and dish out punishment in the playoffs.

They won a game like that last night, when the Leafs used it all up in the first two periods.

By the third period they were spent.

Getting pounded for four rounds in the playoffs may take its toll on the undersized Sabres.

The good thing is we have so much depth now with the emergence of Ryan, Stafford and Mcarthur. Then you add in Connolly, Kotalik and Max. WERE LOADED !!!

Is there a slight chance we get Gaustad back for the playoffs.

He didn't even wait around to see what the Sabres would offer him.

We could use the toughness and leadership that he brought.

Taylor Pyatt is amother guy. It seems we lost all the players with any size.

Im just worried about teams that play a very physical style of hockey and dish out punishment in the playoffs.

They won a game like that last night, when the Leafs used it all up in the first two periods.

Getting pounded for four rounds in the playoffs may take its toll on the undersized Sabres.

The good thing is we have so much depth now with the emergence of Ryan, Stafford and Mcarthur. Then you add in Connolly, Kotalik and Max. WERE LOADED !!!

Is there a slight chance we get Gaustad back for the playoffs.

Haven't heard in a while, but according to the injuries report on sabrespace (which I just discovered- great job to whoever is keeping track of all the injuries!!!!!!!), there seems to be a slight chance as of February anyway but the info is coming from Gaustad who might, of course, be a little biased. See http://www.sabresfans.com/injuries.asp

Philadelphia and Ottawa tried that last year.

Final Score:

Buffalo 8; Phila/Ott 3

Grier's departure is hard to figure out. On one hand, there are reports that he wanted to play closer to his home & family in California; on the other hand, he made some comments about "the direction of the team" on his way out the door, which, IIRC, was pretty early in the free agency period. There was also a report/rumor that Darcy was willing to match the Sharks' offer, so I don't know what to think...

Pyatt, OTOH, was traded for a draft pick, because we couldn't pay him ~$1M (his qualifying salary, IRIC) to play 10 minutes a game on the fourth line, and with the talent already on the roster, he wasn't going to move much higher in the rotation without some huge breakout play.

At the time of Grier's departure, the Sabres had yet to accept Briere's arbitration award, Pyatt was traded, Dumont's future with the team was uncertain and half the team was unsigned. You could see why he was concerned with the Sabres direction.

We couldn't have afforded his salary in hindsight as it was, so I really don't see any need for pontificating why he isn't here.

If the Sabres did sign him, Afinogenov, Kotalik, or even Tallinder or Lydman wouldn't be a Sabre due to salary cap restrictions.

While you are right that keeping Grier would have meant losing someone like Kotalik, Max, or Kalinin (no way they would have lost Tallinder or Lydman for Grier) that time line is a little off. Grier signed with the Sharks on July 3, just two days after free agency started. Briere's arbitration hearing wasn't until July 20, and Pyatt wasn't traded to the Canucks until July 14. If Grier was concerned with the direction of the team, it seems like he didn't give them much time to see what the team was planning, and just went ahead and jumped ship.

As said above he didn't like the direction the team was going in. Grier supposedly didn't think he would have the chance to win a cup in Buffalo so he wanted to go to a team that he thought would give him a better oppurtunity at winning one. Buffalo over SJ would be nice in the cup finals. :D

Grier's departure is hard to figure out. On one hand, there are reports that he wanted to play closer to his home & family in California; on the other hand, he made some comments about "the direction of the team" on his way out the door, which, IIRC, was pretty early in the free agency period. There was also a report/rumor that Darcy was willing to match the Sharks' offer, so I don't know what to think...

Pyatt, OTOH, was traded for a draft pick, because we couldn't pay him ~$1M (his qualifying salary, IRIC) to play 10 minutes a game on the fourth line, and with the talent already on the roster, he wasn't going to move much higher in the rotation without some huge breakout play.

Here is my purely biased conspiro theory on MG... His brother is a scout for the Phins down in Miami... The family is also from Detroit... How can you think highly of BFLO MAYBE growing up hating it?...

Blood is thicker than water... How the heck can you want to play in BFLO?... Then there is the race issue... IMO... Pure conjecture here... SOMETHING RUBBED him the wrong way!

Take this with a grain of salt... Fire away... Of course all my assumptions are wild...

Then mix in the high-motor system the Slugos play... And my ideas only get crazier...???

As said above he didn't like the direction the team was going in. Grier supposedly didn't think he would have the chance to win a cup in Buffalo so he wanted to go to a team that he thought would give him a better oppurtunity at winning one. Buffalo over SJ would be nice in the cup finals. :D

"the direction the team is going in"? When a player says that we all know what it means. Is the team going to over spend on players.

I like to believe that playing close to family was the issue for Grier. If it was direction/money he was concerned with than Mike Grier isn't the person I thought he was and he had no place on this team.

Then there is the race issue... IMO... Pure conjecture here... SOMETHING RUBBED him the wrong way!

This, combined with X. Benedict's point, just may have something to do with it--not that any of us actually know. But Buffalo isn't exactly a model of racial integration.

This, combined with X. Benedict's point, just may have something to do with it--not that any of us actually know. But Buffalo isn't exactly a model of racial integration.

Driving while black in Amherst is one of the major reasons they hold Freaknik in Atlanta.

That, and the weather.

Actually, I think his wife's family is from the San Fran Bay area.

Culturally it is miles apart from Buffalo regardless of race. .

It certainly wasn't a money decision. In 6 more years, Mike should be able to buy a small house.

Archived