BFLO Clinched Last Night @TB

ExiledInIllinois

Was gonna post this in wjag's thread... Noticed there was a glaring mistake... There it states that BFLO is 2 pts away from a playoff berth... Well... I did the math after a whole season of scoreboard watching... :D :bag:

CAR & NYR can end with 98 pts... BFLO swept them in the season series... So... Right now only Toronto can finish with 99 pts... Everybody else is BELOW 98 pts...

BFLO is AT LEAST granted the 8 hole... Toronto loses tonight v. Habs and they can only finish with 97 pts and BFLO is granted AT LEAST the 7 hole!

Now as the top 8 start losing or BFLO keeps winning... The playoff seed climbs higher for the Slugos...

:D :D

GO HABS!!! :death: :death: to the Leafs!!!

Nice work in FLA BFLO!!!

Was gonna post this in wjag's thread... Noticed there was a glaring mistake... There it states that BFLO is 2 pts away from a playoff berth... Well... I did the math after a whole season of scoreboard watching... :D :bag:

CAR & NYR can end with 98 pts... BFLO swept them in the season series... So... Right now only Toronto can finish with 99 pts... Everybody else is BELOW 98 pts...

BFLO is AT LEAST granted the 8 hole... Toronto loses tonight v. Habs and they can only finish with 97 pts and BFLO is granted AT LEAST the 7 hole!

Now as the top 8 start losing or BFLO keeps winning... The playoff seed climbs higher for the Slugos...

:D :D

GO HABS!!! :death: :death: to the Leafs!!!

Nice work in FLA BFLO!!!

No mistake. Toronto AND NYR can finish with 99. 11 games remaining and both are currently at 77.

I don't consider ties, although I'm watching it. Not quite clinched, although some losses tonight while Buffalo is idle may do it as well..

Aren't the NYR @ 76?

Maybe my bad? I will check back later... Just running out the door with my so for the big district wide Pinewood Derby... We buried everyone 2 weeks ago in the Pack comp...

Later...

NHL.COM has them at 77..

I have to work on 2 Derby cars for my kids today. Not my favorite activity.... Good luck...

I come in peace. I need someone to explain to me why this is fun for them. I just want to understand this mentality.

well you see the pinewood derby is a chance for cub scouts to build and then race cars... :D

Do they still have the races where you sit in the car and race. They called it Soap Box racing or something like that.

not sure.. we did it when we were kids before helmuts were mandated for walking in .. but this is where you carve a piece of pine and race it in heats down a ramp.

I come in peace. I need someone to explain to me why this is fun for them. I just want to understand this mentality.

For me, it just makes things more real and tangible to watch the rise and fall of things. I'm more interested in who the Sabres will be playing. This focuses my attention on how well the competition is playing.

We have indeed mathematically clinched a playoff spot.

Philadelphia, Washington, Florida, Boston, and Montreal can not reach 98 points.

Carolina can reach 98 points, but can not catch 46 wins, which is the first tiebreaker.

Both the Rangers and Toronto can gain 99 points, but they play each other on April 1st. Therefore, even if that game goes to OT, the best the loser can do is 98 points. Since neither team can catch our 46 wins, the loser of that game joins Philadelphia, Washington, Florida, Boston, Montreal, and Carolina meaning there are seven teams that can not mathematically catch Buffalo.

We're the first team to clinch a playoff spot in the NHL.

according to WGR, we have clinched a spot due to tiebreaker advantages, but the official star won't be placed till the rangers or toronto lose a point or the sabres gain a point. The rangers play the bruins and the maple leafs play the habs tonight.

well you see the pinewood derby is a chance for cub scouts to build and then race cars... :D

I always thought they should have had two separate competitions... one for the cars that the Cub Scouts actually built themselves, and one for the cars that were obviously built by their dads. :)

I always thought they should have had two separate competitions... one for the cars that the Cub Scouts actually built themselves, and one for the cars that were obviously built by their dads. :)

Amen! when I was in cub scouts you just knew. My dad would help us, but he never built them. There were kids whose dad's always built there. I helped my brother beat them one year and it was awesome.

Ain't that the truth...I roll up there with my misshapen, poorly-painted excuse for a car, and some kid puts his aerodynamically-designed, perfectly sanded, factory-painted car in the next lane...

It sucks realizing that your car might not even stay on track, but his is going to cross the finish line before the others even get rolling...

Holy split personality thread batman.

I haven't checked the math, but it does sound like we have clinched a spot. Will be nice to see that mark on NHL.com tomorrow.

Ain't that the truth...I roll up there with my misshapen, poorly-painted excuse for a car, and some kid puts his aerodynamically-designed, perfectly sanded, factory-painted car in the next lane...

It sucks realizing that your car might not even stay on track, but his is going to cross the finish line before the others even get rolling...

I was that kid with the "aerodynamically-designed, perfectly sanded, factory-painted car" when I was in scouts only my father didn't help me. I was a nerd and went on to be an engineer, though. :thumbsup:

NHL.COM has them at 77..

I have to work on 2 Derby cars for my kids today. Not my favorite activity.... Good luck...

My bad!... I thought they were @76!

My son cleaned up District wise (about 70 cars) and took first overall! Last year was his sophmore jinx... We made a fatal error and used Dupont dry lube instead of graphite... This year we used a graphite and molybdenum mix... The dry lube would have been okay... But, not enough heat is generated in a Pinewood car...

I really love the thrill... At 5 ounces, the cars can only go so fast... So the trick is tweaking and puttering around...

This year we had a parent's race and I built my own car... The only rule was it had to be 5 ounces or under... I had a pretty cool designed (along with outlaw wheels... etc...) that nothing can beat...

Need any tips? I have a ton and can also point you in the right direction internet wise... PM if you you want...

Towards the end... I started to get embarrassed because we were just slaying everybody... I also thought the car would bust apart beacuse it was really hitting the end of the track hard... Then the final race came and my son (a Bear Cub) raced against a Webelos Cub that gave him a run for his money... He beat the Webelos Cub by an inch!!!... The timer failed and they had to do a re-run... I thought OH MY GOD! DOOMED FOR SECOND IN EVERYTHING!... They re-raced on another track and my son won by a car length!... Maybe this is a omen for the Sabres!? :D

I will try and post the pics of the cars, etc... If I can post them within a thread... Not sure if I can here? If Scott could be so kind to let me, that would be awesome... I will ask him...

Do they still have the races where you sit in the car and race. They called it Soap Box racing or something like that.

Yes!... I think 8 is the min age... I might get my son into that if he wants to... Only place around here (so damn flat!) is the west suburbs...

No is the could only have an unlimited age... 250 pound and under class... I am sure to get that car rolling really fast!!!

:bag: :bag:

IMO,That is just sour grapes because people don't want to pour the effort into it...

We do... I built one and my son built... Mine is an "OutLaw car" which means it follows no rules except that it is 5 ounces or under for the total weight... IMO, both are works of art... After all, he is MY son and I like woodworking and have all the tools... The right tools make it so easy... A band saw is the biggest help!

Nothing wrong working together and making it look awesome... Again, IF you want to spend the time and effort...

I heard some people groan with comments like: "He didn't make that." "It is a kit." One guy said he felt like he was bringing a butter knife to a knife fight... etc.. etc... :D

Well... He did! I Helped... Every inch of the way... And some of our ideas come from plans or kits... Doesn't mean we used the kit... We see a plan or a picture and duplicate it from scratch.

I coach him every step of the way and act as "quality control"... And man am I a taskmaster! ;) ;) :D :D

Just beacuse he is a kid... You don't have to let him flounder out there... He is gonna match the effort his parent would put in! And the more time and effort, the better it will look!

They gotta learn from somebody... Why not set the bar high early?... Of course IF the kid is interested and enjoys it...

We match what WE are capable of doing... No where are we ever judging that work against anyone elses... Only in competition, and THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LOOKS... We could put a turd out there and win...

He asks me: "I want to make this." I say: "Let's draw it up, anthing can be done!" He says: "I want to go fast and be first." I say: "This is what you do... This is what you use... This is how you polish the axles, bore the hub, hone the wheels, and where to place the weight..."

Then we run with it... Even if you lose or make a fatal error... Making it look good is still a pride issue!

:nana:

IMO,That is just sour grapes because people don't want to pour the effort into it...

We do... I built one and my son built... Mine is an "OutLaw car" which means it follows no rules except that it is 5 ounces or under for the total weight... IMO, both are works of art... After all, he is MY son and I like woodworking and have all the tools... The right tools make it so easy... A band saw is the biggest help!

Nothing wrong working together and making it look awesome... Again, IF you want to spend the time and effort...

I heard some people groan with comments like: "He didn't make that." "It is a kit." One guy said he felt like he was bringing a butter knife to a knife fight... etc.. etc... :D

Well... He did! I Helped... Every inch of the way... And some of our ideas come from plans or kits... Doesn't mean we used the kit... We see a plan or a picture and duplicate it from scratch.

I coach him every step of the way and act as "quality control"... And man am I a taskmaster! ;) ;) :D :D

Just beacuse he is a kid... You don't have to let him flounder out there... He is gonna match the effort his parent would put in! And the more time and effort, the better it will look!

They gotta learn from somebody... Why not set the bar high early?... Of course IF the kid is interested and enjoys it...

We match what WE are capable of doing... No where are we ever judging that work against anyone elses... Only in competition, and THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH LOOKS... We could put a turd out there and win...

He asks me: "I want to make this." I say: "Let's draw it up, anthing can be done!" He says: "I want to go fast and be first." I say: "This is what you do... This is what you use... This is how you polish the axles, bore the hub, hone the wheels, and where to place the weight..."

Then we run with it... Even if you lose or make a fatal error... Making it look good is still a pride issue!

:nana:

Don't let them get to you. The year I was in Cub Scouts my troop lost the track for the Pinewood Derby!! I was so mad. We had to make these stupid boats instead, then race them by blowing on the sails through a straw. The boat I (my dad) made was awesome, but my wimpy 2nd grade lungs didn't stand a chance. My other 3 brothers all won the Derby at one point. I'll never forget that sham of a boat race.

I was that kid with the "aerodynamically-designed, perfectly sanded, factory-painted car" when I was in scouts only my father didn't help me. I was a nerd and went on to be an engineer, though. :thumbsup:

Here I was going to call you a nerd, but you took the fun out of it by calling yourself that. :ph34r: (Closest I could find to a nerd smiley... ;))

E, if that was the case, then you guys should be commended for working together. My (and I think others) frustrations with these races were not the fathers who helped the sons, but rather those who did the whole damn thing themselves, and either the kid or the dad would all but admit it during the event.

Yo Inky! I come in peace also! Do you want an answer to this question... If so here it is... And it ties into the Pinewood thingy too!

This is fun (watching the satndings) for the same reason my son and I think the Pinewood Derby is fun BECAUSE we get to see what other people are doing and make ourselves better because of it... We learn what the other guy is and the situation he is going through...

You don't expect to put less hours in than the other guy and make it look as good... Or win, do you?

The more you pour into it, the more you get out of it... The more you can savor the final project...

Don't set yourself up for defeat because you can't watch what other people are doing! Even if you lose... You can still learn from it...

Just like the pine cars... It is still at your son's/your own pace... Why not aim for the stars and follow the success and failure of others to blaze a path to your own success and INDEPENDENT way of thinking...

"I asked my parent's if we could build a castle in the sky... They responded: "Here is the paper and pencil, let's draw up the plans!" ~Will Smith (not exact quote)

Archived