Miller needs to bulk up.

bottlecap

On tsn this is the scouting report about Biron:

Needs more meat on his bones. Will have to add more stamina in order to become an above-average starting goaltender.

Sound familiar? Maybe that gaunt 150 lb. goaltender of ours needs to stock up on the pizza and wings.

I'm afraid going 13 games in a row, a new record for him, doesn't scratch the surface of stamina for

a starting goaltender in the NHL. And he's lost 4 straight. Look at Belfour, he must be about 45 years old and he's started 21 straight. I'm afraid stamina is a problem for Miller and I'm not sure he can bulk up longterm. He needs to. :(

On tsn this is the scouting report about Biron:

Needs more meat on his bones. Will have to add more stamina in order to become an above-average starting goaltender.

Sound familiar? Maybe that gaunt 150 lb. goaltender of ours needs to stock up on the pizza and wings.

I'm afraid going 13 games in a row, a new record for him, doesn't scratch the surface of stamina for

a starting goaltender in the NHL. And he's lost 4 straight. Look at Belfour, he must be about 45 years old and he's started 21 straight. I'm afraid stamina is a problem for Miller and I'm not sure he can bulk up longterm. He needs to. :(

His size hasn't been a problem in the past, so why would it be now?

Adding extra weight could make him worse becasue he may become slower with the extra bulk.

I don't think stamiona is a problem with him. The only time he has needed a rest because he was "tired" was after the allstar break which was tough on almost all players (especially goalies) playing in the game. Lindy gave him days off before because he knew he had a capable backup behind Miller that could give the starter a rest when ever the schedule had them playing games that would tire out most goalies (like back to back home and away games)

Very rarely do you see a goalie play in back to back games. Even Luongo now in Vancouver gets a breeak every now and then, when he was in Florida he would play almost every game

I am not sure, he really seem has seemed frustrated lately. Is it him?, defense? Percentage wise it hasnt seemed like he has been bombarded lately bt anyone, a couple flukey ones, shorthanded crap, and straight up good shots. Do I think he could be more aggresive, yes, get out of the net more, yes, challenge shooters instead of them coming to him. Olli Jokinen inside and Bouwmeister from the point tonight!

I was thinking the same thing...Bulking up actually might hurt his stamina.

You said it. Why on Earth would a goal tender get better by bulking up? Goal tending relies on flexibility, fast reflexes, quick body movements, and stamina. Increased bulk would hurt all of those.

Lance Armstrong is the poster boy for how losing bulk can improve your performance in sports or positions that do not require pure strength. Few people remember this, but before his cancer, Armstrong was built like a line backer. Now he's built like a cross-country runner. His peformance in a sport that requires unbelievable stamina and recovery abilities went from mediocre to legendary.

Maybe Miller has to bulk up his brain. Seriously. Maybe he's wound a bit too tight. He reminds me of the guy you golf with who has the wristband that's supposed to channel your energies, or something, throws up the little blades of grass to test the wind, looks at a putt five different ways, plumb-bobs it, stares at the cup for 30 seconds... and you know he's going to miss it.

I've really seen the frustration the past few games. In the shootout, you could see the old Hasek chicken-pecking-at-feed head.

Most fans can just laugh off this slump and say everything's going to be fan. But what worries me is that the players seem to be tightening up just as much as my corn hole. :)

Maybe Miller has to bulk up his brain. Seriously. Maybe he's wound a bit too tight.

The brain is his only stamina issue. I think the all star game was a serious tax mentally in terms of stature / starting in front of Brodeur. Statistically he's just not there and it has to wear on him. Blowing shutouts has to suck. In the beginning of the season he said "saving them for later". Well, it's later.

I believe in Miller long-term, but he's still finding his way.

He's also in his second year of pro hockey. He has a lot of learning and growing to do. I think he more than proved himself by coming up big last year in the playoffs.

He has stolen games and carried this team many times. He hasn't been stellar lately, but the team also hasn't done much.

The brain is his only stamina issue. I think the all star game was a serious tax mentally in terms of stature / starting in front of Brodeur. Statistically he's just not there and it has to wear on him. Blowing shutouts has to suck. In the beginning of the season he said "saving them for later". Well, it's later.

I believe in Miller long-term, but he's still finding his way.

Again, only 1 goalie had a sub-par performance in the All-Star game...and it wasn't Miller.

Who cares about shutouts? Sure they're nice, but they don't really matter (unless your team only scores 1 or 2 goals a game).

Maybe Miller has to bulk up his brain. Seriously. Maybe he's wound a bit too tight. He reminds me of the guy you golf with who has the wristband that's supposed to channel your energies, or something, throws up the little blades of grass to test the wind, looks at a putt five different ways, plumb-bobs it, stares at the cup for 30 seconds... and you know he's going to miss it.

I've really seen the frustration the past few games. In the shootout, you could see the old Hasek chicken-pecking-at-feed head.

Most fans can just laugh off this slump and say everything's going to be fan. But what worries me is that the players seem to be tightening up just as much as my corn hole. :)

sometimes it seems like he loses concentration at times and eases up.

True, he is in his 4th season as a pro (technically his 3rd, since his 03-04 season consisted of all of 3 games) but it is only his second year as the bona fide #1 guy, and he has only played a career total of 120 games - which is about the same as a two-year, no 1 Brodeur-type starter.

Actually, that makes perfect sense. THN has a stat of SV% when facing more than 30 shots a game, and Miller's was up near the top.
hopelesly, can you link those stats, or is it just in the print edition? I can't seem to find any in-depth stats on the website...

Look at the top goalies Brodeur and Luongo. Unlike the Sabres, who are play a wide open game often counting on the big saves, the Devils and Canucks are very protective of their goalies. They pack it in and keeping the shots to the outside. There are not many teams that rely on their goalie as much as the Sabres do. I would love to see the Devils and Canucks get involved in some run and gun games and lets see what type of numbers Luongo and Brodeur have.

The Sabres put a ton on Millers shoulders. He should get a little more credit for the numbers he has.

Archived