Major Missing Piece

Allan in MD

The Penguin game exemplified how much this team misses Maxim. Against a team that totally clogged the zone, we needed someone who could break it, or at least open it up a bit by drawing away defenders and allowing other forwards to sneak in. No one has that capability like Max.

When Max returns, hopefully we'll see teams having a much more difficult time stuffing the Sabres as they enter the zone. And since everyone is now defending the Sabres in that fashion, it will be interesting to see how easily teams adjust going into the playoffs.

I would add Goose to this also. Gary Roberts did whatever he wanted to tonight and not one guy stood up to the old fart. When he checked Paestch behind the net and added a right hook to the chops was a nice example. He should have received a roughing penalty, but NP also should have chucked one or two back. This team lost a ton of toughness when he went down. No one can clean out the front of the net either when it gets crowded. We definitely could have done better at the trade deadline by adding a physical d-man over Zubrus.

If these guys don't toughen up before the playoffs, it will be a short trip. I don't mean Peters playing more either. I would like to see Kaleta in the playoffs over Peters, or even Mair at this point.

kaleta over mair? easily over peters but i think mair has better skills on scoring at this point of kaletas career. but i am way into kaleta over peters. not many fights in playoff hockey. but the randmoness and chaos that kaleta brings to the ice is perfect for the fast pace sabes.

im into paille coming back and working with the roy vanek line. zubbie is warming into some spots, but paille's ability to the puck out of the corner is exactly what vanek could use to finally turn light on in a consistent basis, even more so than now.

go sabes!!!

we got this

kaleta over mair? easily over peters but i think mair has better skills on scoring at this point of kaletas career. but i am way into kaleta over peters. not many fights in playoff hockey. but the randmoness and chaos that kaleta brings to the ice is perfect for the fast pace sabes.

im into paille coming back and working with the roy vanek line. zubbie is warming into some spots, but paille's ability to the puck out of the corner is exactly what vanek could use to finally turn light on in a consistent basis, even more so than now.

go sabes!!!

we got this

Mair didn't get a lot of ice time last night, which I attribute to the guys who were his linemates -- MacArthur and Peters (Mair TOI: 8:07). When guys start coming back and we can roll four lines again, Mair will be key.

The Penguin game exemplified how much this team misses Maxim. Against a team that totally clogged the zone, we needed someone who could break it, or at least open it up a bit by drawing away defenders and allowing other forwards to sneak in. No one has that capability like Max.

When Max returns, hopefully we'll see teams having a much more difficult time stuffing the Sabres as they enter the zone. And since everyone is now defending the Sabres in that fashion, it will be interesting to see how easily teams adjust going into the playoffs.

IMO...Against a team that is lining up 5 players at the blueline, Max is the last player that will help loosen the play up, because he will be bullheaded and try time after time to stickhandle his way through them. Instead what you need are some players who are willing to dump the puck in and then go into the corners and dig it out.

Mair didn't get a lot of ice time last night, which I attribute to the guys who were his linemates -- MacArthur and Peters (Mair TOI: 8:07). When guys start coming back and we can roll four lines again, Mair will be key.

Just look at last year when he was skating with Gaustad and Pyatt. He has shown quite a bit of talent when skating with decent linemates. It's probably not enough to keep him around next year, but for now he can be very useful.

Games like this really magnify how much certain players contribute on a nightly basis. Gaustad would have helped a lot on the PK, down low in their own end, and would have been looking to back Roberts down, and Max's speed, while unreliable and out of control at times, does open up the ice for his linemates.

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Mair has seemed to be a reluctant grinder/semi-tough guy at times this year, and I wonder if his concussion history has made him somewhat tentative. He didn't look like he really wanted to go with Neil a couple weeks ago, and last night, the Sabres could have used his grit against Roberts & co...

Mair had two absolutely awful turnovers in the first period, one which turned into a pretty good scoring chance for the Pens (IIRC, the other one would have been if the "D" didn't cover up for his mistake.) I think his rough play in the first period played as big a part in his ice as his linemates struggling...

I don't know if anyone else has noticed this, but Mair has seemed to be a reluctant grinder/semi-tough guy at times this year, and I wonder if his concussion history has made him somewhat tentative. He didn't look like he really wanted to go with Neil a couple weeks ago, and last night, the Sabres could have used his grit against Roberts & co...

That's why I threw his name out there. He has not looked like the same guy, especially the second half of this season. He hasn't been nearly as physical as he can be. Ever since all the cheap hits around the league lately, he has seemed to back off. He should have been sent out on the ice to at least bang Roberts a few times.

I thought you were going to mention Biron. Seems like Marty was able to help Ryan alot from encouragement etc and possible to give the sabres a few games in a row. Is miller becoming a little too comfortable now or missing someone that helped alot on scouting tendencies etc???

I thought you were going to mention Biron. Seems like Marty was able to help Ryan alot from encouragement etc and possible to give the sabres a few games in a row. Is miller becoming a little too comfortable now or missing someone that helped alot on scouting tendencies etc???

Maybe Marty was the one who told Miller who to poke check during shootouts. He was doing it earlier this year and both goals scored on him last night could have easily been poke checked away. Both guys nearly stopped right in front on him on their deeks.

IMO...Against a team that is lining up 5 players at the blueline, Max is the last player that will help loosen the play up, because he will be bullheaded and try time after time to stickhandle his way through them. Instead what you need are some players who are willing to dump the puck in and then go into the corners and dig it out.

Dumping the puck in was all the Sabres did last night. And for almost the entire contest, it led to little more than Penguin control and another breakout. If the neutral zone front collapses on Max, others will be open. Get the puck to them. Of course, that's coaching and Max responding, hopefully.

Maybe Marty was the one who told Miller who to poke check during shootouts. He was doing it earlier this year and both goals scored on him last night could have easily been poke checked away. Both guys nearly stopped right in front on him on their deeks.

Excellent observation, although those were 2 great moves.

Archived