GAME DISCUSSION THREAD

Corp000085

Wow.. What a game. Lets recap:

Spacek, Afinogenov, Gaustad, Connolly, Drury, Kotalik are all out because of illness or injury. Another injured guy, novotny, gets traded for a guy who can't even play tonight. Oh yeah, they also lost the worlds greatest teammate and everyone's best friend in marty biron. To top that off, briere comes down with the flu. What do the sabres do? they just played the best road game of the season, completely obliterating the maple leafs 6-1. Completely surgical.

The pluses:

Hecht... 2 goals and he played center all night. way to step up.

macarthur... dude, you're an AHL player. you better start playing like one, or else kotalik won't have a roster spot

Stafford... ditto. by the way, that was an all star move you made. totally beating the defenseman to the puck and dragging it around the net. wow.

miller.. you held your ground. the goal that beat you was unstoppable, and that entire possession can be flushed down the toilet, but you did somethimng you haven't done in a while: shut out in the 3rd period.

Lydman... um, you're not a goalie... but i'll take your saves, mckee style. Great game

The minuses--

Briere has the flu. does that knock him out of friday's game? Did he infect the rest of the team?

The backchecking. Toronto was able to freely move the puck in the sabres zone at times. the sabres looked like pylons, especially on that goal that they scored. With that said, maybe having 29 guys out of the lineup and playing 2 forwards short (counting peters) took its toll tonight. oh well, i'll take crappy backchecking and 6 goals any night of the week.

Briere, drury, get your rest. friday's looking good.

Connolly, start skating and be a suprise starter sometime in the next week? please?

The rest of the rooks? keep on chugging. You'll make darcy's job really hard over the short summer.

On a complete side note, i missed a big portion of the 3rd period because messier was getting his number retired in edmonton. not to jinx anything, but i was staring at a nice trophy behind him for most of the night. We're closer today than we were yesterday... dream on!

I freaking love Kaleta's play. The kid has laid out some big names in the past 3 games. And the coolest thing is he picks his checks, he's not sloppy like piece of S%&T 25 (doesn't deserve a name) from OTT.

Who knows how long they can keep this up, but I'm loving the ride.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the fact that Kaleta's hit on McGratten shook him up so much he hasn't practiced since. Kaleta sure can lay the wood.

Someone may have already pointed this out but ... if the deadline was tomorrow, would the Sabres have made any deals? After the way the kids looked tonight? Probably but ... you never know.

Granted, the Leafs looked like doo-doo, but that's a damn good effort with a short bench.

they had to deal biron for the salary cap to work. paille's injury was the final straw. with him being paid along with his callup, it pushed the team OVER the cap. biron had to go, unless you considered freeing up $5 million and trading briere. just kidding... Now they have enough space for connolly to return, and our salary cap jail is over.

Someone may have already pointed this out but ... if the deadline was tomorrow, would the Sabres have made any deals? After the way the kids looked tonight? Probably but ... you never know.

Granted, the Leafs looked like doo-doo, but that's a damn good effort with a short bench.

I think so. At the least, they still needed to move Marty to free up cap space, which still required bringing in another goalie. And the defensive depth was also considered a need.

"The Sabres were without several injured regulars and leading scorer Daniel Briere was a late scratch after coming down with the flu. Forwards Chris Drury (head) , Maxim Afinogenov (wrist), Ales Kotalik (knee) and Paul Gaustad (ankle) and top defenceman Jaroslav Spacek (broken hand) all satout."

they noticed....

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197987&hubname=

Oh they noticed. The tool on XM's Ice Caps tonight, when he was giving the scores, dropped his voice an octave and sped up his cadence when he got to our game: "buffaloovertorontosixtoone," then moved back to regular speech for the next recap. Then when a Sabre fan called in to talk about the game, he dismissed it and said "the difference was the goalies. You had a good guy between the pipes and the Toronnamapleleafs didn't." Or something like that. Yeah the difference was the goalies. Whatever.

The Canadian anti-Sabre bias on XM is really something to behold. It's become funny, really. Jealousy, plain and simple.

TSN's writeup doesn't even mention briere's absence. Ah, gotta love the anti sabres canadian bias!

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=197987&hubname=

Jumping in late... Sabres are in such sad shape injury-wise... They couldn't even scratch Danny last night... He is listed on the rost and in the stats, of course having zero minutes...

I have to say that this was one of the most impressive efforts in recent times...

-Drury, Briere, Connolly, Spacek, Paille, Gaustad, Max & Kotalik all OUT, played one man short and still came away with a 6-1 victory.

-MacArthur is very slick and look poised for a guy who has only played a few games at the NHL level. Looked very comfortable on the PP.

-Miller very good, Roycroft very bad. That was the difference.

-Love the energy that Kaleta shows. I know he is probably another year away from a full time roster spot, but guys who love to hit each and every shift are not easy to find.

-I thought Hecht stepped up and played well. Roy also.

-The only thing that continues to worry me is the play of Campbell. He seems very tentative out there, reminding me of the Campbell from the beginning of last year and seasons before that.

GO SABRES!!!!

-The only thing that continues to worry me is the play of Campbell. He seems very tentative out there, reminding me of the Campbell from the beginning of last year and seasons before that.

GO SABRES!!!!

I'll have to disagree here. He seems to picking back up the last couple games. And last night he joined the rush a few times, including spinning into the corner from the point in Toronto's end.

He's still not where he needs to be, but is coming back from where he was a month ago.

Archived