One of the more disrespected first place teams?

Rabbit151

I know early in the year some wanted to hand the cup over to the Sabres right there. Now, I see more and more columnists and analysts not really mentioning the Sabres when talking about the cup.

I know Glenn Healey said recently that it's all about the Penguins and that no other team in the east scared him. The other announcer asked him about the Sabres and he said point-blank that he wasn't scared of them.

Kypreos kind of dissed the Sabres on toughness before Saturday's game. 9 times out of 10, Kypreos says something stupid anyway, Healey maybe about 7 out of every 10 things he says are stupid, so take it from the source.

And with all the injuries, it seems the general feeling is that they won't be able to hold 1st place and will disappear into the mist.

Here's the best part of this, the Sabres may be the highest scoring, highest point-total team to head into the play-offs as an underdog. They love the underdog role. They caved in for January with that pressure, but now it's back. I hope outsiders keep right on telling them they can't win. When they play determined, they are a tough team to beat.

BTW, did anyone see the records of Buffalo and Nashville versus below .500 teams? Some clown on hockeybuzz was talking about how easy the Sabres schedule was because they got to beat up on Boston. This was about 10 days ago, while the Bruins were above .500, I'm not sure if they still are.

The records were 21 - 6- 1 for Nashville

For Buffalo it was 7 - 3 - 1.

A 28 point difference. We're just laying in the weeds boys.

I know early in the year some wanted to hand the cup over to the Sabres right there. Now, I see more and more columnists and analysts not really mentioning the Sabres when talking about the cup.

I know Glenn Healey said recently that it's all about the Penguins and that no other team in the east scared him. The other announcer asked him about the Sabres and he said point-blank that he wasn't scared of them.

Kypreos kind of dissed the Sabres on toughness before Saturday's game. 9 times out of 10, Kypreos says something stupid anyway, Healey maybe about 7 out of every 10 things he says are stupid, so take it from the source.

And with all the injuries, it seems the general feeling is that they won't be able to hold 1st place and will disappear into the mist.

Here's the best part of this, the Sabres may be the highest scoring, highest point-total team to head into the play-offs as an underdog. They love the underdog role. They caved in for January with that pressure, but now it's back. I hope outsiders keep right on telling them they can't win. When they play determined, they are a tough team to beat.

BTW, did anyone see the records of Buffalo and Nashville versus below .500 teams? Some clown on hockeybuzz was talking about how easy the Sabres schedule was because they got to beat up on Boston. This was about 10 days ago, while the Bruins were above .500, I'm not sure if they still are.

They are scarry, they are the Sabres of 2007. A young team thats been disregarded and disrespected all year, and has now caught fire with their young team. The only difference, their youngster are about 10X more talented then the Sabres youngsters were last year (just one of the perks of drafting in the top 5 for the last couple years)

The Sabres aren't scaring anybody anymore because they are no longer dominating. That streak at the start of the year really helped this team now that they have returned back down to Earth. The are not playing like a #1 team and are only in that position due to the start of the season. Even during that time they weren't playing superb hockey, and most of their games were decided by OT/shootout

Nashville is a good team and are cup favorites from the West, but their schedule does get a little bloated because of the teams they get to play. Its one of the reasons why Detroit exited the playoffs last year in the first round. When you get to beat up on Chicago and St. Louis 8 times a year, it really helps your place in the standings

Must be nice to play in that Central Division.

Good point. Nashville gets 24 games against those juggernauts Columbus, Chicago and St. Louis, while every team in the Northeast is above .500

They are scarry, they are the Sabres of 2007. A young team thats been disregarded and disrespected all year, and has now caught fire with their young team. The only difference, their youngster are about 10X more talented then the Sabres youngsters were last year (just one of the perks of drafting in the top 5 for the last couple years)

The Sabres aren't scaring anybody anymore because they are no longer dominating. That streak at the start of the year really helped this team now that they have returned back down to Earth. The are not playing like a #1 team and are only in that position due to the start of the season. Even during that time they weren't playing superb hockey, and most of their games were decided by OT/shootout

Nashville is a good team and are cup favorites from the West, but their schedule does get a little bloated because of the teams they get to play. Its one of the reasons why Detroit exited the playoffs last year in the first round. When you get to beat up on Chicago and St. Louis 8 times a year, it really helps your place in the standings

The Penguins are the flavor of the month. They still a 1 or 2 line team, much like Atlanta, and that won't take them far in the playoffs. They are a younger version of a team from last season, but it's not the Sabres, its the Rangers.

From the start of this season, the pundits have argued that Minnesota, San Jose, Anaheim, Atlanta, Nashville, New Jersey, and now the Penguins are the team to beat. The Sabres have been there all year. I guess they're getting bored with discussing them.

The Penguins are the flavor of the month. They still a 1 or 2 line team, much like Atlanta, and that won't take them far in the playoffs. They are a younger version of a team from last season, but it's not the Sabres, its the Rangers.

From the start of this season, the pundits have argued that Minnesota, San Jose, Anaheim, Atlanta, Nashville, New Jersey, and now the Penguins are the team to beat. The Sabres have been there all year. I guess they're getting bored with discussing them.

Yup, because just like last year when Carolina was the best team all year and never the flavour of the month to win the cup. The key is that the playoffs are a different season, and all it takes is for a team (like the penguins) to catch fire, and they could win it all. Right now they are the Sabres of last year.

I think this is the most important point. The Sabres held the underdog role all of last year (including through the playoffs), which motivated them to get as far as they did. Throughout January & February this year, their play was getting stagnant, the columnists weren't talking about them because Pittsburgh and New Jersey were playing lights out, and they seemed to be going through the motions, even as the #1 seed in the East.

Now with the string of injuries, the Ottawa brawl, and the league's disrepect showed towards them (i.e., a fine against Lindy and no fine/suspension for Neil), it's starting to feel like they're the underdog again. Saturday night's game in Ottawa showed me something....down 4-1 with half of the roster from Rochester, they gutted and grinded back to tie the game. This team has the best never-say-die attitude I've seen in anyone. This should motivate them deep into the playoffs.

Yup, because just like last year when Carolina was the best team all year and never the flavour of the month to win the cup. The key is that the playoffs are a different season, and all it takes is for a team (like the penguins) to catch fire, and they could win it all. Right now they are the Sabres of last year.

Really. The Sabres lined up Drury, Briere, Connolly, and Gaustad, with Roy taking some shifts at center last playoffs. Who matches up on the Penguins with those FIVE centers?

[ When you get to beat up on Chicago and St. Louis 8 times a year, it really helps your place in the standings

Not to mention the Blue Jackets

I think the Pens will be for real by as early as next year, but this year, I don't see it.

It's ridiculous how many top 5 picks they have. Crosby, Staal, Fleury, Malkin....any others?

I'm not convinced they can play D well enough for play-off hockey, and I think their lethal PP may not be quite so lethal against a quality club over the course of a 7 game series. I'd like to see them dispense with Ottawa though!!

I for one can not WAIT for the playoffs. I don't think that the Sabres will steamroll their way through the playoffs en route to the Cup, but I think they will win it all. You have to remember that the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in all of sports to win. The ups and downs we all go through trying to win 16 games is what makes me feel alive. I know it is easy to let the seeds of doubt creep in, you know, let the "experts" say that Pittsburgh is going to be the team to beat, try to say that Buffalo is soft and will be pushed around come playoff time. I see it differently and I know you guys do, too. This is OUR year, and in the words of Herb Brooks, "Go out there and TAKE it."

I for one can not WAIT for the playoffs. I don't think that the Sabres will steamroll their way through the playoffs en route to the Cup, but I think they will win it all. You have to remember that the Stanley Cup is the hardest trophy in all of sports to win. The ups and downs we all go through trying to win 16 games is what makes me feel alive. I know it is easy to let the seeds of doubt creep in, you know, let the "experts" say that Pittsburgh is going to be the team to beat, try to say that Buffalo is soft and will be pushed around come playoff time. I see it differently and I know you guys do, too. This is OUR year, and in the words of Herb Brooks, "Go out there and TAKE it."

haha props for quoting herb. i just hope you didnt take that from the movie "Miracle" ;)

It's ridiculous how many top 5 picks they have. Crosby, Staal, Fleury, Malkin....any others?

Pitt has 7 of their own 1st round picks on their roster, with 5 top-5 picks:

Player: Round/Pick #

Armstrong: 1/21

Crosby: 1/1

Fleury: 1/1

Malkin: 1/2

Orpik: 1/18

Staal: 1/2

Whitney: 1/5

Archived