Dont make a tradeeeeeeeeee

gregkash

Seriously, we just spent all this time raving about how good our young guys are.. what do we need to trade for then?

Let's face it,

Biron > CuJu

Biron > Belfour

Kaleta can do the job Kevyn Adams, with a little more spunk I think, and he's from Buffalo like Adams so you can't use that argument.

Stafford has been hot.

McCarthur and Ryan are playing well.

I don't see a reason to trade anyone... I just really don't think we have a hole that we can't fill with a Rochester guy just as well.

There's a lot to be said for experience but there's a lot to be said for just being young and wanting it more..

Look at Doug Weight, "Whose Jason Pominville?"

That's a veteran guy right there sending the message not to care about a 25 prolly going to be at least 30 goal scorer in the NHL..

it depends, If you want to win the cup you make some deals to shore up your injury depleted team.

If your happy having "moral victories" and just being in the playoffs, keep this team together the way they are.

Unfortunatly, I think Regier is a gambler and will not make a deal and take a chance that his team of rookies will tap into the Disney magic and win it all with Heart and determination.

Sure the rookies played well, for rookies, but what everyone is overlooking is that they won the first game in a shootout, and then lost the last one. There are no shootouts in the playoffs, and they don't award the cups to teams that almost win games in the playoffs.

It's great that the young guys are showing spirit and playing well. But this is Buffalo's year. A young guy can lose confidence very easily if a couple bad things happen.

A veteran won't allow that to happen. It's just a little too much to ask of these kids right now. It's great that they are gaining experience like this. But with this being as good a chance as any to win the cup, veteran presence can be the difference.

It's great that the young guys are showing spirit and playing well. But this is Buffalo's year. A young guy can lose confidence very easily if a couple bad things happen.

A veteran won't allow that to happen. It's just a little too much to ask of these kids right now. It's great that they are gaining experience like this. But with this being as good a chance as any to win the cup, veteran presence can be the difference.

I agree, having 1-2 of the rookies up in the playoffs probably won't hurt, but without some more veteran presence (only one player on this team has won a cup (drury), and only one other (i think) has any experience in a Stanley Cup Final before (Spacek) and right now, both are out of the lineup and there is no guarantee when they will be back

Even with a healthy Sabres team, they still had some holes to fill to have a better chance at the cup

Sure the rookies played well, for rookies, but what everyone is overlooking is that they won the first game in a shootout, and then lost the last one. There are no shootouts in the playoffs, and they don't award the cups to teams that almost win games in the playoffs.

I agree. Emotion carried us thru those two games. There is no way that level can be sustained indefinitely. And amidst all that emotion, we played some bad hockey. That second period the other night exposed some of the limitations of the kids. To their credit, they battled back.

So no, I don't want that lineup to play in the playoffs. But some of those guys I do. I like Stafford and Ryan.

It really comes down to how much you believe the walking wounded will transition back to game shape. My take on those guys:

1. Drury. No Drury, no cup. Simple as that. I'm betting we don't see him much before late March.

2. Max. Probably the one with the longest road back. Will he be a step slower, tentative? Who knows. But I definitely want him back with some game time under his belt before the first series. Best guess is 1 April. The slow-footed Flyers are the last game of the season. That might serve as a useful tune-up.

3. Novo. Don't care.

4. Paille. Showed some promise, but others have to. Happy to have 'em, can live without 'em. Probably two more weeks minimum before we see him again.

5. Spacek. Losing faith with this guy. He was hired based on his playoff performance. We haven't seen anything close to that yet and he is a regular on the IR. Want him back only for his depth and experience. Prepared to go on without him. He should be available within the next couple of weeks.

6. Gaustad. Can't want what you can't have.

7. Kotalik. Will he be slowed down by the injury? His biggest asset will be of no use soon. He is a pretty good SO guy. As soon as the playoffs start, we lose that asset. So would we be better served keeping one of the youngsters.? IMO, yes.

8. Connolly. See Gaustad. To quote Hamilton from the other time, "Time to shut it down".

Now all that wishful thinking put aside, Drury, Max, Novo, Spacek and Kotalik will probably all be available come 1 April and we will dance with who brung us.

Based on Darcy's comments, I don't see us trading for a forward. Darcy and Lindy are expecting all of our injured forwards (other than Gaustad) back for the end of the reg. season & the playoffs, including Connolly. When you include Stafford and Paille, not to mention MacArthur, Ryan and Kaleta, we are very deep up front.

I wouldn't be surprised if we traded for a depth defenseman. Not a top 4 guy, b/c this will be too expensive in terms of cap space, but a #6-#7 guy to be there in case we suffer a couple of injuries on the back line. This would probably require us to trade a roster player. The only ones I can see us trading are Biron, Kotalik and Novotny.

As far as the title of this thread: I don't want us to trade anyone from the current roster. I like this team as is too much. If we can use Gaustad's salary slot to bring in a cheapo depth defenseman in exchange for a draft pick -- fire away. (I think initially this wasn't possible b/c we had to use that slot on Paille, but now with Paille's injury, not sure if that is changed).

24 hours to go...

It really comes down to how much you believe the walking wounded will transition back to game shape. My take on those guys:

1. Drury. No Drury, no cup. Simple as that. I'm betting we don't see him much before late March.

Buffalo News is suggesting maybe Drury will return for Montreal on Friday... If that is true, what fantastic news. He'll probably look like he'd been hit by a bus.

I agree, having 1-2 of the rookies up in the playoffs probably won't hurt, but without some more veteran presence (only one player on this team has won a cup (drury), and only one other (i think) has any experience in a Stanley Cup Final before (Spacek) and right now, both are out of the lineup and there is no guarantee when they will be back

Even with a healthy Sabres team, they still had some holes to fill to have a better chance at the cup

A lot of our guys played in a long playoff run last year, they have been tested.......... :beer:

why is everyone calling for a vet with playoff experience? i dont care if youve played in every cup final since the begining of the league, if said player is not fast enough or talented enough to play in the sabres system, then he wont do anything but take away a roster spot froma young guy who can contribute to the team.

the only way i see a trade happening is if darcy gets blown away by an offer, and since the sellers are asking for a kings ransom this just isnt going to happen.

and you really think Kevyn Adams is gonna be the one to inspire the cup run?
Maybe not inspire the Cup run, but he has two things that a lot of the younger Sabres don't have - extended NHL experience, both regular season and playoffs, and a Cup ring.

It also should be mentioned that you're all acting like none of the injuries are coming back..
Why bank on guys coming back at 100% when you never know what will happen? Drury, Connolly, Spacek, Kotalik, Max - any one of these guys could have a setback that keeps them out of the lineup for longer than anticipated. I'd rather see Darcy pick up a depth guy or two "just in case" so we aren't caught unawares if/when guys don't heal up as quickly as anticipated. Remember Connolly's off-season prognosis, or the fact that they couldn't correctly identify Dumont & Briere's sports hernias?

A lot of our guys played in a long playoff run last year, they have been tested.......... :beer:
True, but there are also some key guys who don't have that experience (Stafford, Paille and to a lesser extent, Vanek) and getting through 2 rounds of the playoffs and being knocked out in the ECF (freak injury bug or not) is not the same as winning the Cup.

True, but there are also some key guys who don't have that experience (Stafford, Paille and to a lesser extent, Vanek) and getting through 2 rounds of the playoffs and being knocked out in the ECF (freak injury bug or not) is not the same as winning the Cup.

Vanek actually probably learned the most and he has changed his game during the season and should be ready to go hardcore during this playoff run............ :beer:

First off alot of you are putting way to much into this veteran thing. A guy that has played 7 or 10 years in this league can screw up just as fast as a rookie. Add in the fact that we have veteran leaders to keep the rookies running (Drury, Teppo, Briere, Biron if he stays) already. The only move that should be made and only if we get it cheap is a experienced defensemen cause are D is still the thinnest depthwise. Every team that makes a run for the cup needs the youngsters there to get the experience and are prospects are probaly the most NHL ready in the league. So don't sell the farm for the rental.

Vanek actually probably learned the most and he has changed his game during the season and should be ready to go hardcore during this playoff run............ :beer:

I agree about Vanek - I am expecting a lot from him in this year's playoffs. I think his Andreychuk-like talents in front of the net, especially on the PP, will be a big part of this team's playoff run.

First off alot of you are putting way to much into this veteran thing. A guy that has played 7 or 10 years in this league can screw up just as fast as a rookie. Add in the fact that we have veteran leaders to keep the rookies running (Drury, Teppo, Briere, Biron if he stays) already. The only move that should be made and only if we get it cheap is a experienced defensemen cause are D is still the thinnest depthwise. Every team that makes a run for the cup needs the youngsters there to get the experience and are prospects are probaly the most NHL ready in the league. So don't sell the farm for the rental.
If you look through the completed trades thread, you'll see that most of us don't want Darcy to make a Waddel-type deal that weakens our system and gives away prospects. And while your point about vets screwing up as easily as rookies can is true, all things being equal (talent, speed, etc.) given a choice, I would rather entrust our playoff success to someone with playoff and Cup experience more than I would a rookie who has been pressed into action. I'm with you on adding depth, especially on D, but I don't think Darcy should sit on his hands and hope that the roster is good enough and deep enough to make it through the playoffs as is.

Since we are not privy to the team's dressing room dynamic and don't speak with the team on a daily basis, I think we can only speculate about the team's veteran leadership. Personally I think you are overestimating the Sabres' veteran leaders - I'll give you Drury (the only Cup winner on the team) and Teppo, but I'd put Briere on the bubble leadership-wise. He just doesn't seem like that guy that the rest of the team looks to, IMO. I also disagree completely about Biron - what exactly can he tell a young player about playing in the playoffs? How to trash-talk Eric Staal?

Again, there is no way for either of us to know who the team looks to for guidance, or how they would react to gaining more veteran leaders at the cost of a Kalinin or Kotalik (just examples) but I think they are a little light in the playoff leadership department.

Fact of the matter is that every team is looking for veteran leadership to help guide their younger players through the pressure and ups & downs of the playoffs, so there must be good reason for that.

the price has been set already on the rental players so if Darcy is gonna get one it is either gonna be a cheap move like a Corkum one or it is gonna be a sell the farm for a talent one. Cause that is what has been payed by teams already. Your not gonna get a all things being equal in a rental compared to are prospects, I'd take any of the prospects playing right now over Adams, Only other thing is a player like Guerin who would be great but your gonna give up a roster player a prosepct or 2 and a draft pick or 2 to get him. And Biron is a vet he has been in this league for awhile and based on how well liked he is by the media and fans for his personality I'm sure it is the same for the players and that is not to be underestimated as a leadership quality. Only move for Biron that I think is worth it is on defense, forward is talented and deep. But I just don't think there is a deal to be had for a defenseman nor for just Biron

the price has been set already on the rental players so if Darcy is gonna get one it is either gonna be a cheap move like a Corkum one or it is gonna be a sell the farm for a talent one. Cause that is what has been payed by teams already. And Biron is a vet he has been in this league for awhile and based on how well liked he is by the media and fans for his personality I'm sure it is the same for the players and that is not to be underestimated as a leadership quality. Only move for Biron that I think is worth it is on defense, forward is talented and deep. But I just don't think there is a deal to be had for a defenseman nor for just Biron

There have been a couple trades so far where it has been a pick or a prospect for a decent player (Zhitnik for a prospect, Zednik for a pick, Anson Carter for a pick, someone mentioned Smolinksi for a pick) so it's not unreasonable to think that Darcy can land someone who can make an impact on the team's success without mortgaging the farm.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree about Biron. Playing a lot of regular season games doesn't necessarily make him a veteran leader, and with no playoff experience at all (none, not a second's worth of playoff ice time) I don't think he is a playoff leader by any stretch of the imagination or definition. I don't doubt that he is a favorite in the dressing room and a media favorite (I can attest to this firsthand) but I don't know if that translates into being looked to as a leader. But again, none of us can know for sure, since we aren't in the room and on the ice with these guys day in and out...

While I admired the spunk and effort the young Americans, errr Sabres, showed the other night ... I think you are losing sight of the big picture > a few games against Ottawa are NOT four rounds of the NHL Playoffs. I was very proud to see guys like MacArthur, Ryan and Kaleta show up and be be accounted for and a few of them may have a future here, but not now. The only one I see making a big splash is Drew Stafford - he has star power written all over him. I am NOT advocating a wholesale, blockbuster move - but a solid centerman (i.e. faceoff winnner) and a veteran blueliner would be welcome for the rest of the season and playoffs (not to mention, I believe they could be had for a minimal price). Remember, our problems against Carolina last year stemmed from losing critical faceoffs and losing defensemen throughout the series. Just some food for thought ... I say makes some sensible moves and let some of the young guns go for broke in the AHL Playoffs.

While I admired the spunk and effort the young Americans, errr Sabres, showed the other night ... I think you are losing sight of the big picture > a few games against Ottawa are NOT four rounds of the NHL Playoffs. I was very proud to see guys like MacArthur, Ryan and Kaleta show up and be be accounted for and a few of them may have a future here, but not now. The only one I see making a big splash is Drew Stafford - he has star power written all over him. I am NOT advocating a wholesale, blockbuster move - but a solid centerman (i.e. faceoff winnner) and a veteran blueliner would be welcome for the rest of the season and playoffs (not to mention, I believe they could be had for a minimal price). Remember, our problems against Carolina last year stemmed from losing critical faceoffs and losing defensemen throughout the series. Just some food for thought ... I say makes some sensible moves and let some of the young guns go for broke in the AHL Playoffs.

thats probably what darcy is looking for. need to make some cap room or pay a high price to get what we want though...

thats probably what darcy is looking for. need to make some cap room or pay a high price to get what we want though...

Respectfully, I think you should have said "need to make some cap room AND pay a high price to get what we want..."

Bottom line is that we are at the cap. Darcy has been very clear that we are not going to play any games with keeping someone on LTIR in order to free up cap space. Accordingly, we will need to deal someone from the active roster in order to make a trade. There is simply no way around this. So, we really have to decide whether we want someone new bad enough to give up Marty or Kotalik, since they are the only ones who both make enough $$ to enable a decent player to be acquired in return and are non-core (Novotny is also possible, although he doesn't make enough $$). It's possible that someone out there would be more valuable to us than either of those guys, but not that likely.

Archived