TG letter take 2

drnkirishone

ok wanted this letter on a thread thats not locked so it can be talked about still

WGR 550's copy of TG's letter

and also for thous not wanting to click the link

Following is the text of an official letter that was sent by Buffalo

Sabres owner B. Thomas Golisano to NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman today.

----------

Gary B. Bettman, Commissioner,

National Hockey League,

1251 Avenue of the Americas, 47th Floor

New York, NY 10020

February 24, 2007

Dear Gary,

I am deeply concerned with the standard the NHL has adopted that seems

to allow violent hits to the head.

In light of the most recent injury to our captain Chris Drury, I am

calling on you to address this issue immediately before another player

is seriously injured or worse.

In our recent game with the Ottawa Senators, an opposing player skated

half the width of the ice surface, approached Chris Drury from his blind

side, and delivered a blow to his head which dislodged his helmet,

severely lacerating the area around his eye causing a concussion. Chris

Drury did not have the puck, he was not able to see the player coming

from behind, and had relaxed his guard. The player in question was aware

his presence was undetected but chose to deliver a vicious blow, which

can only be construed as intent to injure.

Hitting is a very important part of our game. You hit to break up a

shot, you hit to disrupt a pass, you hit to battle for the puck and you

hit to gain position for a defensive or offensive play. There are many

times a player is vulnerable. And there are many times when a player can

make a hit on a vulnerable player but chooses not to for fear of

injuring an opponent for no practical advantage. It's called respect.

What we cannot allow are hits that are designed to injure and maim. The

hit delivered to Chris Drury the other night was a hit to injure. In my

view there is no other way to view that play.

As you know, we have been on the other end of hits which cause injury to

the head. Tim Connolly, our star offensive player was knocked out of the

Stanley Cup by this same team. Although I didn't like it, Tim's

situation is very different. He had the puck; he was making a play and

could have reasonably seen the approaching player. I never complained.

This situation is very different.

Your office informed our team today that the hit on Chris Drury was a

legal hit and that it fit within the standard of play acceptable to the

NHL. We do not think this should be the standard and we do not think it

helps our game or the league. There is nothing manly about hitting a

player that can't see you. There is nothing entertaining about a big man

hitting a smaller man in the head. There is nothing good to come of a

policy that allows exciting skilled players to be targets for what I

believe to be predatory play.

I strongly urge you to convene the appropriate forum to immediately

review this policy.

Sincerely,

B. Thomas Golisano,

Governor

Deliberate shots to the head don't belong in hockey, simple as that.

Seeing as Golisano used the Connolly injury as a refence, and that lardass tool from Ottawa used the Umberger hit to justify Neil's cheapshot, I'll use these two as well.

Connolly's injury? Well, he basically walked right into that himself. I still think the elbow was a little over-extended, but I don't think there was ever an intent to elbow Connolly in head. Tough injury, but I don't see how you can pass blame on that one.

Campbell on Umberger? Keep your head up RJ. Campbell comes in from an angle, but certainly within an 60 degree arc of RJ's front, and follows through. RJ takes Campbells shoulder on the jaw, because he's receiving a pass and has his head down.

Drury, takes a shot, stops skating, is at his full height, head up when Neil comes from behind, quickly changes his lane and delivers a full-blown intent to injure cheapshot of a shoulder to his head.

The Dury hit has nothing in common with the other two :

Connolly had his head down, hit from in front.

RJ had his head down, hit from in front

Drury had his head UP, hit from BEHIND!

Deliberate shots to the head don't belong in hockey, simple as that.

Seeing as Golisano used the Connolly injury as a refence, and that lardass tool from Ottawa used the Umberger hit to justify Neil's cheapshot, I'll use these two as well.

Connolly's injury? Well, he basically walked right into that himself. I still think the elbow was a little over-extended, but I don't think there was ever an intent to elbow Connolly in head. Tough injury, but I don't see how you can pass blame on that one.

Campbell on Umberger? Keep your head up RJ. Campbell comes in from an angle, but certainly within an 60 degree arc of RJ's front, and follows through. RJ takes Campbells shoulder on the jaw, because he's receiving a pass and has his head down.

Drury, takes a shot, stops skating, is at his full height, head up when Neil comes from behind, quickly changes his lane and delivers a full-blown intent to injure cheapshot of a shoulder to his head.

The Dury hit has nothing in common with the other two :

Connolly had his head down, hit from in front.

RJ had his head down, hit from in front

Drury had his head UP, hit from BEHIND!

IMHO, by far the biggest difference between the Drury and Umberger hits is that UMBERGER HAD THE PUCK!!! There is no question that if you have the puck and are skating up ice, you are fair game -- so you are prepared to get hit. Drury had unloaded the puck well before Neil hit him. The puck had gone into the corner and Drury was proceeding into the play when he got blindsided -- not thinking he would be hit and not ready.

For the Sens fans (and that slob of a sportswriter from the Ottawa Sun las night) to compare the 2 hits is to ignore that critical difference. Everyone knows there is a huge difference -- the 2 plays have nothing to do with each other. To pretend otherwise is just dishonest.

Happily, though, the Sens still scream "1st round losers" based on their play last night. I will admit that it would've been nice to see Neil catch the big Peters punches and Kaleta check that McGrattan caught last night.

TG is the man! He's showing outstanding leadership. Despite the publicity, I don't think the league is going to like that they cc'd the media. And leave it to Golisano to put Bettman in his place "you work for me, get it right".

The writing style is a little suprising. Not what you'd expect from the top of 100 million dollar business (and billionaire). Though on the other hand it is similar to stuff you'd see when he was in politics. Golisano for Governor

I think this story will have some legs as they say. Owners like Marion Lemiuex have already expressed their displeasure with the NHL's blind mice system of enforcing the rules.

A few weeks ago there were stories of owners being displeased with Bettman and seeking a change. This issue may be their catalyst for change.

If the Sabres didn't have this issue on their agenda before hand, it sure looks like "whoa is me".

Right, on the agenda at the GM meetings, etc, but for TG to chime in publicly takes it to a new level. And at the right time. As the league and hockey fans watch the hit over and over the past few days and coming weeks, if it's Sydney Crosby getting run like that, it's a whole different story.

Not to get carried away, but the thought of Golisano pulling together owners and running Bettman in the next few years is sweet.

I am so happy TG wrote this letter, it shows that the whole organization is united on this entire mess. TG's letter, Stafford going after Neil, Mair-Peters-Kaleta, and Ruff jawing with Murray and all sticking up for Drury... it makes me proud to be a Sabres fan.

And, TG is absolutely correct, something needs to be done about hits to the head. You can't hit people in the head in football anymore, and what started that...players, owners, coaches, and fans complaining about it. What if that was Crosby or Ovechkin getting run by Neil, the league would have stepped in immediately, and I would expect the same response from the Penguins or Caps organization. Look at what shots to the head have done/did to Lindros, Connolly, and Lafontaine. We can't sit by and watch star players, or any player, get taken out like this.

And for the Ottawa coach and that columnist on MSG last night to compare it to Campbell's hit is absolutely ridiculous. Umberger had the f'in puck, Campbell hit him head on - not from behind, and Campbell did not throw his elbow out and up. Ottawa's entire response to the situation is just crap.

If the Sabres didn't have this issue on their agenda before hand, it sure looks like "whoa is me".

I'm watching the Caps/Devils game and they have started to talk about the hits after the puck is gone and how the league will have to address it.

Sometimes it takes a incident to get things moving.

I'm watching the Caps/Devils game and they have started to talk about the hits after the puck is gone and how the league will have to address it.

Sometimes it takes a incident to get things moving.

In USA Hockey, any check that can be avoided after the puck is released; is to be avoided. Otherwise it is penalized as unnecessary roughness.

There is also a Head Contact penalty, for any contact with the head of your opponent. I think the NHL should add at least the Head Contact penalty.

DISCLAIMER: What follows is 100% unsubstantiated speculative opinion

That letter reads like something Lindy drafted and TG endorsed.

If so, this organization is in great shape. Stafford immediately had Dru's back. Lindy had the boys backs in the moment and in the press saying how proud he was of the guys and saying that he was the one who gave the order to take them on, knowing that this action is in direct defiance of the league's wishes re: fighting.

For the league, (Bettman) any fighting is to be of the staged goon vs goon type which is simply meaningless "violence" and something to be removed from the "product". For Lindy, and any hockey fan (as opposed to "product" consumer) the fighting on Thursday night had profound meaning and was entirely appropriate given the circumstances. What's more...it WORKED! THAT's why Lindy got fined. He stuck his neck way out against the league when he let his players defend themselves like men and his guys love him for it.

Nobody is talking any more about how the Sabres are soft, and that the way to beat them is to beat them up. Our boys passed another huge test. You can't skate with them, and you can't push them around either.

Now here comes TG publicly backing his players and coach against the league. My unfounded guess is it went something like this.. Lindy: Mr. G, this cheap shot business has to stop. We've tried to play withing the league constraints but people are still taking liberties and we had to take matters into our own hands to protect ourselves on the ice. If we draft a letter stating our case, would you underwrite it and send it to the league? TG: You got it Lindy. I've got your back. I saw that cheap shop on Dru and am incensed! I'll do more than send it to the league, I'll sign it, post it on our website and plaster it all over the news!

Whether he personally drafted the letter or not, it's signed by TG and this team is rock solid top to bottom. GO SABRES!

Archived