Sabres PP improving

eball

That's an encouraging statistic -- they're now in the top half of the league (13 for their last 48 over the past ten games). The PK is still in the bottom half at 18th. I'd love to see both break the top ten by the end of the season; that would give both units some confidence heading to the postseason.

(Oh wait -- I left out the obligatory "get a deal done NOW, Darcy" that is a necessity in all posts around here.)

Paestch is making a big difference. When he can't get a puck on net, he's chipping it low instead of trying a cross-zone pass. Campbell still is trying to make the low percentage play.

They're also getting more production down low from Drury and Briere. That area to the right of the slot was money for the power play last year. Drury and Briere are starting to get more opportunities from there, thanks to the improved play from the point.

The Sabres power play has been very good since the all-star break. Nathan P. was a great find. When Spacek returns, the Sabres can move him up to forward, which was a great idea a few weeks ago.

One more thing before I go...don't trade Biron! I'll admit I thought the Sabres needed this a few months ago, but what if Ryan Miller got...I don't even want to say it. The Sabres need Biron. He has played great when Miller needed a rest.

You know what I really like in Paetsch's PP game? He skates hard and fast coming up the ice with the puck on the breakout, that makes the PKers have to react faster and lets are forwards hit the line with more speed. It is such a good change of pace from watching Teppo, Tallinder, and even Campbell come gliding up ice there, and i think thats is a major reason for hte improved PP lately

It's taken them a while to gel and it's encouraging to see that they have been clicking with some new personnel on the ice. I tihkn they've been working much harder in the corners and obviously Paetch has really improved our blue line play.

It will be interesting to see what happens if the PP keeps clicking when some of our players return. Connolly played point last year, will they go back to 4 forwards given the number of 5 on 5 goals they are scoring or will they stay more conservative with 2 defensemen?

I think they would use Connolly and a Dman on one unit, Paetsch and another Dman on the other unit.

Archived