No Roberts..No Belfour...No Adams

BamBam

Honestly...As a lifelong sabre fan I have seen it so many times that fans just want the GM to make any type of trade they can. We've heard it for years in Buffalo.."Don't make a trade for the sake of making a trade" yet so many people on this board are urging Darcy to pick up these three guys.

As a Sabre Fan I don't want to mortgage Biron for two guys in Roberts and Belfour that are dam near to collecting social security. Plus- If anyone heard Darcy on tv the other night he kept saying Dollar for Dollar trade...Thats it. I sure hope this deal does not go down. If Florida wants to give us Bouwmeester, or Nathan Horton, or Weiss, or Bryan Allen, then we should talk...but if its just to dump to 40+ year old guys, then keep on dialing the phone.

And the Kevin Adams thing...This is just wrong too. I live out here in Phoenix, and they are so hopeing to dump this guy. He has lost all of his grit, and is playing with zero heart. Sure the team is not that great overall, but to say this guy is a poor man's Mike Greir is a SERIOUS understatement. This guy comes now where close. Hopefully Darcy is asking why one of the worst teams in Hockey want to dump this guy. The fans don't care for him because he doesn't give is all out there. He can't score, and he isn't playing gritty...so are we to trade something for this guy just because he is from Buffalo?? WRONG!

Keep searching for Deals That will help the team Darcy, because these will not.

Honestly...As a lifelong sabre fan I have seen it so many times that fans just want the GM to make any type of trade they can. We've heard it for years in Buffalo.."Don't make a trade for the sake of making a trade" yet so many people on this board are urging Darcy to pick up these three guys.

As a Sabre Fan I don't want to mortgage Biron for two guys in Roberts and Belfour that are dam near to collecting social security. Plus- If anyone heard Darcy on tv the other night he kept saying Dollar for Dollar trade...Thats it. I sure hope this deal does not go down. If Florida wants to give us Bouwmeester, or Nathan Horton, or Weiss, or Bryan Allen, then we should talk...but if its just to dump to 40+ year old guys, then keep on dialing the phone.

And the Kevin Adams thing...This is just wrong too. I live out here in Phoenix, and they are so hopeing to dump this guy. He has lost all of his grit, and is playing with zero heart. Sure the team is not that great overall, but to say this guy is a poor man's Mike Greir is a SERIOUS understatement. This guy comes now where close. Hopefully Darcy is asking why one of the worst teams in Hockey want to dump this guy. The fans don't care for him because he doesn't give is all out there. He can't score, and he isn't playing gritty...so are we to trade something for this guy just because he is from Buffalo?? WRONG!

Biron's an UFA at the end of the year. He's an expensive backup. Belfour is a cheaper alternative. He is old, but that shouldn't make much of a difference in his limited role. That money could be better spent somewhere else. Not to mention he would be a backup with playoff experience and success, which is more than Marty's 0-0 career postseason record.

Well, to get anybody great like Bouwmeester, or Horton, the Sabres would have to give up ALOT

Most teams right now aren't looking to give up players they can build around, only people that don't fit into their plans, UFA's that probably would be lost in the offseason anyway, or players that haven't played well for the team all year.

Roberts and Belfour are rental players, guys with experience in the playoffs and the Cup that could help a young team. If the deal goes through (which I also hope it doesn't) Belfour may never see any action in a Sabres uniform as he will only be an emergency player incase Miller gets hurt. Roberts is only for veteran experience, he isn't expected to be on a top line, just to be another locker room leader.

As for Adams, you never know, he could just need a change of scenery, maybe he is just not playing well due to being on a bad team? Alot of times at the deadline a player is moved that did not play well and then they look 100% different because they are sparked by a new team and a move to somewhere better

Claiming you don't want to "mortgage" Biron implies that he has some future with the Sabres. He's not going to be on the team next year.

Why in the world would Florida want to trade us Bouwmeester, or Nathan Horton, or Weiss, or Bryan Allen? These guys are the future for them and that is what they need to focus on. Unless you are willing to part with Roy, Afinogenov, Pominville or Vanek, these guys will not be traded to Buffalo this year.

I think the Roberts abd Belfour rumor makes more sense that any I've heard. I'm not in love with either player but you are getting a grizzled playoff vet and a stanley cup winning goalie for a player you hope doesn't even play in the playoffs.

TSN on Roberts (has a cup ring): "Is one of hockey's most dedicated players. Loves to battle for loose pucks and crash the net with authority. Has soft hands and is still a tough customer."

TSN on Adams (has a cup ring): "Is tenacious on the forecheck and plays a sound defensive game. Can score timely goals. Likes to play a physical game and is a solid face-off man."

Yeah, I could see why you wouldn't want them....

TSN on Adams (has a cup ring): "Is tenacious on the forecheck and plays a sound defensive game. Can score timely goals. Likes to play a physical game and is a solid face-off man."

Yeah, I could see why you wouldn't want them....

Problem with Adams is the old "What have you done for me lately". And in his case, it's not very much.

I'm not in love with either player but you are getting a grizzled playoff vet and a stanley cup winning goalie for a player you hope doesn't even play in the playoffs.

Rack him.

I'm still having trouble picturing the Eagle in a slug jersey though.

Roberts is an A-hole on the ice who can still score the occasional nice goal. That's what this team needs. Belfour may be over the hill, but he can win a few games on memory alone.

I don't get the Adams thing. I honestly thought he was a defenseman because I have never really been impressed enough when he is on the ice to know what he does.

tsn.ca and XM Radio echoed these thoughts on Roberts:

One of the most talked about players that could move on or before the trade deadline is Florida Panthers' forward Gary Roberts.

While teams like San Jose, Detroit and Pittsburgh are interested in Roberts' services, the Ontario native only wants to play for the Toronto Maple Leafs or the Ottawa Senators.

Take it for what it is worth

its worth getting nothing for marty to have him as a very capable backup for the playoffs this year. Besides, hes worth little since he will be a UFA next year. Which is fine, since he will likely get a chance to play somewhere else, and then we can bring in a cheaper backup. I dont know kevin adams, but the florida trade makes no sense what so ever.

its worth getting nothing for marty to have him as a very capable backup for the playoffs this year. Besides, hes worth little since he will be a UFA next year. Which is fine, since he will likely get a chance to play somewhere else, and then we can bring in a cheaper backup. I dont know kevin adams, but the florida trade makes no sense what so ever.

How is it worth it to get nothing for Marty so he can back the team up in the playoffs? He has ZERO playoff experience. Atleast Belfour has alot of experience and is capable of winning a couple games if needed, and he is making very little this year

The florida trade does make some sence, the team is getting low on forwards because of injuries and they could use a vet with playoff and cup experience (roberts, even though its been reported he'd only waive the no trade clause to Toronto and Ottawa, but buffalo is close to Ontario and has a better chance at the cup so maybe) and Belfour would be a cheaper backup that would give us more flexability in making other deals/callups with the cap, and is a playoff/cup veteran. Biron is nice and all, but he has as much playoff experience in net as I have. He'll be gone next season anyway so why not clear the cap space now and get some value for the playoffs for him?

They aren't my top choices, but I would take them over a 2+ million dollar insurance policy and 0 cap room to make moves. The only problem is that Roberts has the no trade clause and it is rumored he would want a deal for next year to whatever team gets him.

Problem with Adams is the old "What have you done for me lately". And in his case, it's not very much.

Adams has been horrific this year. 47GP, 7 total pts, he's a -19 with 19 PIM. What in the hell does everyone here see in this bum. Oh wait, he's a local boy, let's sign him. Whoopty freakin doo!!! He sucks.

Adams has been horrific this year. 47GP, 7 total pts, he's a -19 with 19 PIM. What in the hell does everyone here see in this bum. Oh wait, he's a local boy, let's sign him. Whoopty freakin doo!!! He sucks.

Nope. When everyone returns, he'd be a good depth guy, or would you prefer a Clarke Macarthur instead?

Adams can hit and play the penalty kill, and maybe you didn't notice but our top 2 of 3 defensive players we've had all season are hurt... Novotny and Goose. So, getting a cheap guy just incase Novo gets hurt again wouldn't really be that bad of an idea. Who says we will play Adams with Roy and Vanek and hope he leads us to the Stanley Cup finals? People always say they wanna add depth just incase, and when a cheap dude with expierence who plays good in his own end, is rumored, people jump on Darcy.... right.

Nope. When everyone returns, he'd be a good depth guy, or would you prefer a Clarke Macarthur instead?

Adams can hit and play the penalty kill, and maybe you didn't notice but our top 2 of 3 defensive players we've had all season are hurt... Novotny and Goose. So, getting a cheap guy just incase Novo gets hurt again wouldn't really be that bad of an idea. Who says we will play Adams with Roy and Vanek and hope he leads us to the Stanley Cup finals? People always say they wanna add depth just incase, and when a cheap dude with expierence who plays good in his own end, is rumored, people jump on Darcy.... right.

This doesn't even validate a response. Just keep looking for my posts to argue with.

He's been horrific on a horriffic team

Not saying Buffalo should get him, but maybe if he was on a good team he'd have better stats

He's been horrific on a horriffic team

Not saying Buffalo should get him, but maybe if he was on a good team he'd have better stats

He's actually only played 12 games for Phoenix. Even the 35 games with Carolina this year he only had 4 pts and was a -10. Carolina isn't what they were last year, but they are far better than Phoenix. He has had a bad year.

I didn't realise he was traded to Phoenix, I assumed he played there all year and had signed there as a FA. In that case, then yes I agree, he would not be a great pick up

Although you have to agree, his stats did drop pretty drastically when he was moved to Phoenix

I think Crosby's stats would go skiing if he went to Phoenix.

it seems to me that most guys on this board get the fact that while guys like roberts and the eagle are not our first choice, we are up against the cap and we are ONLY looking for rental players anyway. if we are going to give up marty at the end of the year, let's at least get something for this playoff run.

guys that have problems with these sorts of trades, have to understand the parameters under which we are operating. i think it is really that simple.

and yes, i love the idea of roberts coming here. i've hated the guy anytime we place against, but love the work ethic he plays with....i just wonder how he might fit in with this team...

it seems to me that most guys on this board get the fact that while guys like roberts and the eagle are not our first choice, we are up against the cap and we are ONLY looking for rental players anyway. if we are going to give up marty at the end of the year, let's at least get something for this playoff run.

guys that have problems with these sorts of trades, have to understand the parameters under which we are operating. i think it is really that simple.

and yes, i love the idea of roberts coming here. i've hated the guy anytime we place against, but love the work ethic he plays with....i just wonder how he might fit in with this team...

Although, Roberts has said that he wants a contract in place for next year from whatever team brings him in so he would not be a rental.

The question isn't which rent-a-player the Sabres can grab, it's if they even need one.

The Sabres can win the Cup without Roberts, Adams, or any other retirement-aged rent-a-forward in the lineup.

If Miller catches the injury bug, can a 42 year old goaltender carry the load in the playoffs? Is Roberts worth giving up Biron in that situation?

I know, I know, Biron has no playoff experience. Neither did Ward, Miller, nor Bryzgalov last season. How'd they do? I'd still rather have the guy who's won 30 games in the Sabres system over the last two years than a guy who is an injury risk every time he hits the ice, and at 42, that's what Belfour is.

A rent-a-player is a nice-to-have right now. If Regier can grab one for a 5th round pick using Gaustad's cap space, it would be a nice move. If Miller gets injured though, a backup goalie who can physically carry the load is a must have, and Regier shouldn't trust Belfour in that situation.

Archived