No Roberts..No Belfour...No Adams

BamBam

Has anyone considered that Carolina was playing badly as a team at the beginning of the year, that Phoenix has sucked all year, and that Adams just MIGHT be one of those guys who needs to be on a winner to be properly motivated? I'm not saying that's a good quality; I'm just saying it's a quality we're in a position to take advantage of.

When Drury was in Calgary for a year and the Flames were going nowhere, the fans hated him. They called him "Chris Dreary." He basically admitted later that he hated coming to the rink that year because the team wasn't winning. No player can lift a team into the W column all by himself. If a player looks around and sees that not enough of his teammates are giving their all or are talented enough to win, it affects him. It affected Drury that year in Calgary, and he's considered one of the more high-effort guys in the league. It might be affecting Adams this year.

Anyway, I'm not saying we should get Adams because he's local. I'm saying that the combination of coming home and coming to a winning team will help us get what we need out of him.

Although, Roberts has said that he wants a contract in place for next year from whatever team brings him in so he would not be a rental.

Does he have a no-trade clause? He's not in any position to demand that kind of stuff if he doesn't. I suppose he could refuse to report, but given where the Sabres are and where they might be going this year, that would be stupid on his part.

it seems to me that most guys on this board get the fact that while guys like roberts and the eagle are not our first choice, we are up against the cap and we are ONLY looking for rental players anyway. if we are going to give up marty at the end of the year, let's at least get something for this playoff run.

guys that have problems with these sorts of trades, have to understand the parameters under which we are operating. i think it is really that simple.

I do too.

The question isn't which rent-a-player the Sabres can grab, it's if they even need one.

The Sabres can win the Cup without Roberts, Adams, or any other retirement-aged rent-a-forward in the lineup.

If Miller catches the injury bug, can a 42 year old goaltender carry the load in the playoffs? Is Roberts worth giving up Biron in that situation?

I know, I know, Biron has no playoff experience. Neither did Ward, Miller, nor Bryzgalov last season. How'd they do? I'd still rather have the guy who's won 30 games in the Sabres system over the last two years than a guy who is an injury risk every time he hits the ice, and at 42, that's what Belfour is.

A rent-a-player is a nice-to-have right now. If Regier can grab one for a 5th round pick using Gaustad's cap space, it would be a nice move. If Miller gets injured though, a backup goalie who can physically carry the load is a must have, and Regier shouldn't trust Belfour in that situation.

Unfortunately for Biron he is not Miller, Ward or Bryzgalov. Belfour allows more depth at more positions.

Who cares how old they are, they are rental players. Marty is gone after this year, why not bring in a forward with experience, who can contribute, and a goalie who can contribute if called upon? It is a no brainer. In case you haven't been watching, the Sabres have lost FOUR forwards.

I think as Sabre fans we should care how old they are. Do you mean to tell me that the only thing we could get for Biron is two 40+ Rental players? Thats a joke.

Keep Biron or trade him for a player that will potentially be on this roster next season.

I'd rather see the ice time go to our young guys rather then these two losers.

TSN on Roberts (has a cup ring): "Is one of hockey's most dedicated players. Loves to battle for loose pucks and crash the net with authority. Has soft hands and is still a tough customer."

TSN on Adams (has a cup ring): "Is tenacious on the forecheck and plays a sound defensive game. Can score timely goals. Likes to play a physical game and is a solid face-off man."

Yeah, I could see why you wouldn't want them....

So what your saying is that if TSN says it then it must be true huh?

40 years old is 40 Years old.

Do you mean to tell me that the only thing we could get for Biron is two 40+ Rental players? Thats a joke.

I am really curious to hear you logic on this. Marty is an unrestricted free agent at the end of the season. He is currently making over 2 million per. What non-playoff team (because Buffalo certainly doesn't want to face Marty in the playoffs) will trade anything of value for an expensive player that will help them not make the playoffs this year and won't be on their team next year? :wallbash:

Does he have a no-trade clause? He's not in any position to demand that kind of stuff if he doesn't. I suppose he could refuse to report, but given where the Sabres are and where they might be going this year, that would be stupid on his part.

Yes, he does and he has openly said he wants to play in Ontario and will waive it for the Leafs and Sens

Archived