OT-WGR again

inkman

I can't take Shopp and Bulldog anymore. I try really, really hard to tolerate these guys because frankly, I don't have a choice for information on the Buffalo sports scene. Just like when the logo fiasco erupted, these guys have an agenda and are not held accountable.

They were shunned by the Bills for Coach Dickerson's comments and ever since have ripped the Bills at every juncture. The agenda has never been more apparent.

"Marv Levy is old, he is a moron, he's out of touch."

Blah, blah, blah.

"The logo is great, #1 merchandise in the NHL"

Blah, blah, blah.

As we speak, they are telling me that on the field the Bills have a chance to be good but with Marv running the show they are doomed. What? I hate you guys, go away please.

why what did he do???

Listen for yourself at wgr550.com.

Basically the Bills are now the Bengals. Ralph is not spending any out of pocket money. If the Bills sign a player with a $10 million signing bonus that $10 million will come out of this seasons TV money not over the length of the deal.

He also admitted he knows nothing about the cap.

He doesn't know how the franchise tag works.

He knows nothing about what McGahee said in the interview with Penthouse.

You have to hear it to believe it.

Marv sounded like a puppet and the man doing the talking was Ralph...

1. "We will not make a big splash in Free Agents"

2. "I like are wide receivers as is, we will only go after one if a good one is dropped in our lap at the draft."

3. "I do not know the exact amount we are under the cap"

4. "I think a franchise tag is the top 10 or top 5 saleries, I dopn't quite know."

5. "I don't know exactly what McGahee said in that article"

Yikes, I hope this was a smoke and mirrors, and not showing his cards but it felt like Ralph was doing all the talking.

As far as WGR goes I like the morning show and Brad Reiter, sp? but the afternoon show is like a Rush Limbaugh type of show they are irratating as hell, but I like listening to Paul Hamilton, because at least I can hear more in depth news with the two teams I love.

I will always be a Bills and Sabres fan till the day I die. I just hope when I die they are still in my hometown and have won a few to get my by.

:)

1. "We will not make a big splash in Free Agents"

How many big name free agents have ever made that big of a difference?

2. "I like are wide receivers as is, we will only go after one if a good one is dropped in our lap at the draft."

See above.

3. "I do not know the exact amount we are under the cap"

That's Overdorf's job.

4. "I think a franchise tag is the top 10 or top 5 saleries, I dopn't quite know."

See above.

5. "I don't know exactly what McGahee said in that article"

I'm glad our octagenarian GM doesn't read penthouse. ;)

hey at least 1/2 the show isn't reading league standings from the newspaper and "duuuuuuhhhhh........i'd like to take a shot at the trivia?" "is it, cal ripken?" "no, sorry! but good guess!"

maybe there's some bias towards sabres but i'd suspect it's a result of the quality people there (golisano/reiger/ruff) and the relationships they've built. compared to wilson / levy who are just so freakin' old losing it, and the new head coach (?, old guy too) who they don't know well yet.

hold them accountable? turn it off.

hey at least 1/2 the show isn't reading league standings from the newspaper and "duuuuuuhhhhh........i'd like to take a shot at the trivia?" "is it, cal ripken?" "no, sorry! but good guess!"

Like the highlander, there can be only one Bob Matthews show.

maybe there's some bias towards sabres

WGR is the flagship/official station of the Sabres and I would expect some bias. The fiasco with the logo spin machine was WAY over the top.

but i'd suspect it's a result of the quality people there (golisano/reiger/ruff) and the relationships they've built.

Too bad that quality can't rub off on the station guys.

compared to wilson / levy who are just so freakin' old losing it, and the new head coach (?, old guy too) who they don't know well yet.

You sound like them, I expect better out of a fellow Fairportian.

hold them accountable? turn it off.

...and listen to what? I want sports talk, and Buffalo in particular. Unfortunately, I think WGR's rating are more based on a lack of competition rather than quality of programming. If there was a programming choice, I think they might be a little less condescending to the listeners.

I didn't hear the interview but I woudl think that Marv should understand how those things work and how much cap room they have. HOw is he supposed to know what maneuvers he can make if he doesn't know these things. He might not know the finer points but at least a working knowledge of where the team stands with relation to those things. What if Darcy said I don't know how much cap room we have? I'd probably crap my pants with worry. Anyways, sounds pretty scary for the Bills.

Sam Adams was pretty good. Takeo Spikes too.

Sam Adams may have been someone you had heard of, and while being large in stature he wasn't signed for an exorbinant amount of money. Spikes made a little over 6 million last year, a decent salary for sure but nothing earth shattering.

Teams are built through the draft, not by throwing ridiculous jack at overpriced FA. A team can certainly fill holes with FA but th core of your team will almost always be drafted.

Like the highlander, there can be only one Bob Matthews show.

I just stumblead across him the other day. I forgot that he was still on...or more like i canlt believe it. He's been on that show for probably 20 years. He is awful on the radio and his columns are creap, too. The guy is multi-untalented!

Article was outdated (by 2 days) and didn't bring up anything of consequence.

Wow, it really was a pretty lame article. I like Bulldog but Schoop is an arrogent prick. He gets angry with the callers about anything and goes off on the stupidest topics. I like GRs Sabres pre-game show and put up with them on the ride home from work between right wing and left wing radio shows. All three are pretty bad

He gets angry with the callers about anything and goes off on the stupidest topics.

It's almost irrational and it is severly unprofessional. Callers, who are listeners and patrons, are berated if they have an opinion he deems as moronic. Sometimes these people are moronic but why not just hang up, or counter with an oppposing opinion rather than screaming people down and bullying them.

It's almost irrational and it is severly unprofessional. Callers, who are listeners and patrons, are berated if they have an opinion he deems as moronic. Sometimes these people are moronic but why not just hang up, or counter with an oppposing opinion rather than screaming people down and bullying them.

Bingo!

Come on Inkman! Don't call out anyone for being "unprofessional" in a thread designed to defend an NFL GM who doesn't a thing about the salary cap or the franchise tag.

If anything was "unprofessional" it was that press conference that the Bills called. To call a press conference and then trot out some old man pretending to be a GM who was clueless? That's unprofessional.

Marv Levy accomplished the most amazing feat on Friday. He did the impossible. He made Matt Millen look like a quality NFL GM.

come on down what do we have for our winner inkman!?! you hit it dead on, they dont have to ream callers when they say things contrary to their views. they just choose to go off on them.

If anything was "unprofessional" it was that press conference that the Bills called.

Well, I do wonder why a press conference was called at all. It didn't really seem to do anything but cause alarm among the alarmists.

Would I like Marv to know all the intricacies about the salary cap? Yes.

Do I think he is intelligent enough to understand it? Yes.

Is there someone in place within the Bills organization that does have a frim grasp on it? Yes.

Why Marv doesn't have a better understanding? Anyones guess.

Is Marv really just a figurehead/cheerleader for the Buffalo Bills? I'm scared to answer this one.

Is Marv really just a master delagator, putting specific tasks into the hands of people who best know how to handle them? I'd like to hope so.

Am I worried about the Buffalo Bills this upcoming season? A lot less than last year. :)

come on down what do we have for our winner inkman!?! you hit it dead on, they dont have to ream callers when they say things contrary to their views. they just choose to go off on them.

The only person who cuts off callers who have "contrary" opinions is Brad Riter the Bills biggest shill.

Shoop and the Bulldog only cut people off who are stumbling through some pointless diatribe. Like the caller who said the press conference was a trick so the Bills could sign free agents in 2008?

Come on guys.

It's not WGR's fault what happened at One Bills Drive. They didn't trap Levy in a corner. He came out and embarrassed himself, the franchise and the entire Bills nation. The Bills came off as really bush league yesterday. That's not WGR's fault. They had every right to call the Bills out on it. It's not their job to make excuses.

I do have to say I was surprised by Jeremy Whites response. He is the biggest Bills shill next to Brad Riter but even he had to admit what a disaster that press conference was.

Well, I do wonder why a press conference was called at all. It didn't really seem to do anything but cause alarm among the alarmists.

Would I like Marv to know all the intricacies about the salary cap? Yes.

Do I think he is intelligent enough to understand it? Yes.

Is there someone in place within the Bills organization that does have a frim grasp on it? Yes.

Why Marv doesn't have a better understanding? Anyones guess.

Is Marv really just a figurehead/cheerleader for the Buffalo Bills? I'm scared to answer this one.

Is Marv really just a master delagator, putting specific tasks into the hands of people who best know how to handle them? I'd like to hope so.

Am I worried about the Buffalo Bills this upcoming season? A lot less than last year. :)

Sorry Inkman.

Marv admitted they tried to explain it to him and he still didn't understand. Listen again to him talking about the "charts and graphs" he just couldn't understand. Is there any Bills fan who doesn't know the Salary Cap system or the Franchise tag? Shouldn't Marv know more than the fans?

Two days ago you could have convinced me I was wrong all along about Marv. That ain't going to happen now.

Someone posted it earlier.

How would you feel if Regier came out and didn't know how much money the Sabres had left to spend or how the Cap system works. If Regier came out and said Larry Quinn tried to explain it to him with "charts and graphs" and he just couldn't understand. You would be the first to call for his head on a platter so don't be a hypocrite.

Marv admitted they tried to explain it to him and he still didn't understand. Listen again to him talking about the "charts and graphs" he just couldn't understand. Is there any Bills fan who doesn't know the Salary Cap system or the Franchise tag? Shouldn't Marv know more than the fans?

I think you brought it up over at TBD but he should have made sure he understood it, at the very least just a little bit.

I would criticize Marv and the Bills more for the organization of the press conference. Off-season media sessions should only work to imrpove your franchises perception, and somehow they let this thing blow up right in their faces.

Maybe Marv isn't cut out to handle all that is demanded of his position. I feel there is a place for him in the organization and perhaps somehing like this will make the folks at One Bills Drive rethink Marv's status.

I still do think he is smart, just maybe not at a point in his life to dedicate the kind of hours really needed as a GM. I know there are a bunch of people working with Marv, so maybe they should open the public's eyes to who is really doing what at One Bills Drive.

I think you brought it up over at TBD but he should have made sure he understood it, at the very least just a little bit.

I would criticize Marv and the Bills more for the organization of the press conference. Off-season media sessions should only work to imrpove your franchises perception, and somehow they let this thing blow up right in their faces.

Maybe Marv isn't cut out to handle all that is demanded of his position. I feel there is a place for him in the organization and perhaps somehing like this will make the folks at One Bills Drive rethink Marv's status.

I still do think he is smart, just maybe not at a point in his life to dedicate the kind of hours really needed as a GM. I know there are a bunch of people working with Marv, so maybe they should open the public's eyes to who is really doing what at One Bills Drive.

Then why is he still here? Why wouldn't he step down? Does he need the money? I would think pride would prevent him from being a pretend GM.

Archived