What's going on with Montreal?

wjag

Montreal lost again last night 1-0. That makes them 3-6-1 in their last ten. and 8-15-1 since Dec 21st.

Remember when they were within four points of the division lead? Now they are sitting in the 8 hole just three points out of the playoffs.

This is a good team.. what's going on?

Every team has bad streaks, but this one may go a little deeper.

Yeah Montreal is in some real trouble IMO.

Their offense can not score, and their top offensive player Souray, can only score with the man advantage and when that is not working right, their offense is horrid, at best.

Last night during the telecast i heard of a statistic that i did not believe until i looked it up..... Saku Koivu 1 goal in last 21 games. WOW. What kind of captain is that??

One who doesn't score very much. I'd rather have a captain that can't score than one with no heart, see Miro Satan.

I'd rather have a couple of co-captains with nearly 60 goals between them and enough heart to fill ten arenas. ;)

What' even more surpising is that their special teams are just that, special... They are the 2nd best PP and the 7th best PK. That should be good enough to reverse an 8-15-1 slide...

Well that is true, but many teams are adjusting to play them. They won't take many penalties against Montreal so they won't have to face Souray and Montreal's powerplay. Then if you continue to pound away at them on even strength and score then you won't have to face the penalty kill.

The Habs have stopped skating like they were earlier in the season. Playing like they were, a Sabre style, takes a lot out of a team. You have to be dedicated to play that high octane style because it wears on a player. Five players on the attack and five men back is a lot of skating. The may be do to a lack of leadership from a novice head coach of a lack of leadership on the bench.

The scary thing is the Habs have plenty of time to turn things around. I hope they do. The Habs/Sabres games earlier in the year were some of the best games played this year in the NHL.

Archived