What is the most pressing need before the playoffs?

Bmwolf21

Most Important Need  

28 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Sabres focus on?

• Adding defensive grit
    • Adding forward grit
    • Fix the special teams
    • Focus on consistent effort
    • Absolutely nothing, this team is perfect the way it is
    • Get Healthy - Timmy & Tallinder
    • Other (please specify)

i voted focus on effort. The defense doesn't need anyone added... they need to be woken up. the whole team needs to be woken up. I believe we have more heart than the 2005-2006 senators, which will get us to wake up quicker than them last year. We can't be compared to them till we choke in the playoffs. For as much as this team has loafed since thanksgiving, they still have all the heart they started with. You can't question that, and you can't take it away. This team just needs to wake the hell up!

i voted focus on effort. The defense doesn't need anyone added... they need to be woken up. the whole team needs to be woken up. I believe we have more heart than the 2005-2006 senators, which will get us to wake up quicker than them last year. We can't be compared to them till we choke in the playoffs. For as much as this team has loafed since thanksgiving, they still have all the heart they started with. You can't question that, and you can't take it away. This team just needs to wake the hell up!

How do you figure? Our defensemen are so injury-prone, we could end up in the same situation as last year's ECF. We also lack depth...are you comfortable with Funk or Card in the playoffs? You saw last night how easily our D gets battered and does nothing to play physical. Giveaways have been a major problem in our own end...and not ONE of our defenseman can move opposing forwards away from in front of the net, and Miller sure as hell isn't going to/shouldn't have to do that job. Numminen is looking his age and does have a history of heart problems. I don't think there's any question we need at least one more defenseman, whether he's a starter or a depth guy...somebody!

How do you figure? Our defensemen are so injury-prone, we could end up in the same situation as last year's ECF. We also lack depth...are you comfortable with Funk or Card in the playoffs? You saw last night how easily our D gets battered and does nothing to play physical. Giveaways have been a major problem in our own end...and not ONE of our defenseman can move opposing forwards away from in front of the net, and Miller sure as hell isn't going to/shouldn't have to do that job. Numminen is looking his age and does have a history of heart problems. I don't think there's any question we need at least one more defenseman, whether he's a starter or a depth guy...somebody!

The playoffs are a crap shoot. when our defense is healthy and they're on their game, they're the best by a mile in the l;eague. Paetsch can fill in very well. we have 7 top 6 d men, just like we did last year with fitzpatrick. If we lose 4 of 6 starters 2 years in a row, God doesn't want us to win, and there's nothing more we can say about that.

most teams int he NHL are LUCKY to have 6 nhl defensemen... some are lucky to have 5! We have 7, just like last year. I'll be comfortable once tallinder is healthy and paetsch is in a regular rotation. I'll be really happy when they get their heads out of their butts.

A trade should be made tomorrow, as a warning shot across the bow for this team. Simple, you take a Rochester type player with some upside and go get a guy like Rhett Warrener or Boughner that can still play but are tough. That gives you a 7th D who will allow you to sit Teppo, Kalinin, Lydman when they are tired or have their heads up their a$$es.

We need a guy in back who will not stand around. Every single Dman we have is passive in the physical department.

If that doesn't spark us, then time to unload some names....not Kotalik and Kalinin.....I mean guys who will get you what you need.

A trade should be made tomorrow, as a warning shot across the bow for this team. Simple, you take a Rochester type player with some upside and go get a guy like Rhett Warrener or Boughner that can still play but are tough. That gives you a 7th D who will allow you to sit Teppo, Kalinin, Lydman when they are tired or have their heads up their a$$es.

We need a guy in back who will not stand around. Every single Dman we have is passive in the physical department.

If that doesn't spark us, then time to unload some names....not Kotalik and Kalinin.....I mean guys who will get you what you need.

So after you give up Card or Zagrapan to get Warrener, who do you cut when Connolly comes back? Peters doesn't come close to freeing up enough cash.

So after you give up Card or Zagrapan to get Warrener, who do you cut when Connolly comes back? Peters doesn't come close to freeing up enough cash.

I cut my wrists, because it will be a cold day in hell before Connolly comes back. Has it occured to anyone that prior to this Generation, there was no such thing as post concussion syndrome? We're paying a guy 9 million to go play party poker on his couch with a 6 pack of Molson. This guy played over 300 NHL games and finally woke up for about 40 of them last year, and all of a sudden he is the Messiah.

In essence, if we don't make a trade because you are waiting on Connolly....and he doesn't return, you just wasted over $6 million this year...the 3 actual and 3 in cap space we could have used to get someone with a regular testosterone level onto the team.

I voted for getting Tallinder and Connolly healthy, b/c I think with those 2 back and no other major injuries, we are the best team in the NHL, and not by a little.

However, the more time passes without Timmy skating, the more the unpleasant specter of him not coming back this year hardens into reality. I hate to say it, but we can't pretend this isn't the case. We are running out of time.

The trading deadline is less than 1 month away. Based on Darcy's comments, I think if Connolly skates in February, there will be no trade. This is in part due to salary cap and in part to anticipated positive effects of his return on both the PP and the PK. If he doesn't skate in February, I think Darcy, recognizing that this is the best shot at the Cup we're gonna have in a long time, will trade for a defenseman with grit. He's said a number of times that he thinks we're well stocked at forward but could perhaps use more depth at D.

It's possible that we'll trade for a defenseman regardless of Connolly's return, but if he comes back, any trade would require giving up at least as much salary as we get in return. This makes it more complicated and therefore less likely.

I cut my wrists, because it will be a cold day in hell before Connolly comes back. Has it occured to anyone that prior to this Generation, there was no such thing as post concussion syndrome? We're paying a guy 9 million to go play party poker on his couch with a 6 pack of Molson. This guy played over 300 NHL games and finally woke up for about 40 of them last year, and all of a sudden he is the Messiah.

In essence, if we don't make a trade because you are waiting on Connolly....and he doesn't return, you just wasted over $6 million this year...the 3 actual and 3 in cap space we could have used to get someone with a regular testosterone level onto the team.

By any chance were you an Enron accountant in a past life? :o

That is one of the best cases of double counting I have read in a while. Also, the Sabres have cut fairly significantly into their near $3MM in actual $'s spent that Connolly's absense provides in cap space.

Archived