Ryan Miller's Draft Position

ko12010

I was wondering if anyone can tell me why Ryan Miller was drafted so late in the 1999 draft? I mean, he did win the Hobey Baker award in college, one of only two goalies to have ever won it, right? Why then, did he go 138th overall in the Fifth Round? Did something happen? Did he win the award in his Junior year and then have a bad Senior year? I would think that teams would have been licking their chops to draft him, being of such a prestigious hockey family and being so successful in college.

Ryan Miller was drafted w/ 1 or 2 years left in college. So, I guess that'd be one of the FEW reasons nhl teams passed up on him. Sabres are very fortunate to have him on their team. Go Sabres!!!

I was wondering if anyone can tell me why Ryan Miller was drafted so late in the 1999 draft? I mean, he did win the Hobey Baker award in college, one of only two goalies to have ever won it, right? Why then, did he go 138th overall in the Fifth Round? Did something happen? Did he win the award in his Junior year and then have a bad Senior year? I would think that teams would have been licking their chops to draft him, being of such a prestigious hockey family and being so successful in college.

The Hobey Baker means almost nothing in terms of success in the NHL. The other goalie, Robb Stauber really tore it up didn't he?

Are the Millers a prestigious hockey family?

Good question... Its a wonder we even drafted him with the glut of goaltending we had.

The Hobey Baker means almost nothing in terms of success in the NHL. The other goalie, Robb Stauber really tore it up didn't he?

Are the Millers a prestigious hockey family?

Good question... Its a wonder we even drafted him with the glut of goaltending we had.

He does have an uncle that played (or another family memeber) and I believe he has a brother playing for another team (but in the minors, and for some reason Anaheim is coming to mind)

He does have an uncle that played (or another family memeber) and I believe he has a brother playing for another team (but in the minors, and for some reason Anaheim is coming to mind)

His cousins are Kip, Kelly and Kevin Miller, and his father, grandfather and great-uncle played college hockey (MSU) and Ryan's younger brother Drew is in the Ducks organization:

Link (rickshaw posted this article in a separate thread yesterday)

It?s no surprise, however, since Ryan Miller has hockey running through his blood. His grandfather, Butch, played defense for Michigan State, and his father, Dean, played forward for the Spartans. Butch's brother, Lyle, also played both forward and defense at Michigan. Lyle's three sons are Kelly, Kevin and Kip Miller, who all were standout forwards for the Spartans before moving on to the NHL. Ryan?s brother Drew is a forward prospect in the Anaheim Ducks organization.

They draft a goalie basically every year. Most were late round picks, but you take that chance because you can never have too many goalies.

If I recall correctly he was drafted in the fifth round because he had alot of college eligibility left. If Ryan hadn't wanted to sign by a certain deadline he would have simply gone back into the draft and the Sabres would have lost his rights.

No, he was drafted in the fifth round because he was not high on anyone's list. He wasn't very highly regarded, but then he took off at Michigan State.

Also, since he was going to college, anyone that drafted him would retain his rights for 4 years, unless he left college immediately for juniors. Losing his rights was not an issue for anyone that was considering drafting him.

Archived