Well that's a bit better

topshelfcookies

I know that one game out of 82 isn't enough to make a difference, but I feel like with all the emphasis the community and the Sabres themselves have placed on the current "slump" I wanted to chime in with my thoughts on the Boston game.

Things I liked:

Derek Roy - Roy has, in my opinion disappeared at times this season (particularly about a month ago), and while it wasn't only that he was showing up on the score sheet less frequently, it was more that I simply wasn't noticing him when he was on the ice. Tonight, Roy was impossible to miss. Perhaps it was playing the wing again, but the Derek Roy who exploded into a difference-making player in the playoffs last year, especially against Ottawa, was front and center tonight. Roy was forechecking like crazy, getting the Bruins riled up, creating scoring chances and above all else, had the hustle play of the night, tracking down his man like a cheetah and foiling the breakaway attempt.

Nathan Paetsch - While Paestsch doesn't always knock guys down and lay them out, I love the way he plays. He generally hits everything he can catch up to, and I feel like he plays with that same fire that so many of our new guys played with last year (and rightfully so). He also generally makes solid outlet passes. My only complaint is that at times, in the defensive zone he can look a bit lost around the net, in terms of when to try and find the slot man, and when to press the puckhandler behind the net. Still, I feel that's more of an experience thing more than anything else.

Phil Kessel - Cool story. Young American guy who can score. While I don't like Boston, and hate New England fans in general, I find myself really pulling for Kessel to help turn around the Bruins. Let's face it...it's just not good for the game to have crappy teams with no marketable players in big cities. See: Bruins, Boston; Blackhawks, Chicago; Kings, Los Angeles. At least the Rangers have one of the most recognizable players in the league in Jagr.

Kessel had the SO winner tonight vs. Pittsburgh. He seems like a good kid and is very talented.

I think the Bruins are turning it around. they are above .500, seem to have a lot more speed and have a pretty good core in Chara (one of the best half-dozen players in the NHL, IMHO), Savard, Kessel, Murray and Bergeron. Give them a top 10 goalie and another good offseason and they're a team to be reckoned with.

I too think the Bruins are better than even they're generally given credit for. They've played the fewest games in the league. I think at one point last month the Leafs had played 6 or 7 more games than the Bruins. I wouldn't be surprised at all if they were our first round matchup.

Kessel is pretty easy to like. The thing that impressed my most though was the PC after the cancer was found. If I was that age, (20?) I'm not sure I would have been willing to face the media with the poise he had.

Kessel had the SO winner tonight vs. Pittsburgh. He seems like a good kid and is very talented.

I think the Bruins are turning it around. they are above .500, seem to have a lot more speed and have a pretty good core in Chara (one of the best half-dozen players in the NHL, IMHO), Savard, Kessel, Murray and Bergeron. Give them a top 10 goalie and another good offseason and they're a team to be reckoned with.

I agree - the B's are on the upswing.

While it's easy for me to summon hate and venom for the (legitimate) major market U.S. teams like Boston and Philly ("legitimate" would exclude major markets like So. Fla. and So. Cal.); I also need to keep in mind that, for the health of the league (and all of its constituent teams), it's critical that those kinds of teams be in sound shape.

Boston's on its way. Philly's got a long way to go, but they've made a good start by tapping Luce.

Kessel had the SO winner tonight vs. Pittsburgh. He seems like a good kid and is very talented..

There were a lot of personality issues with Kessel that came out around draft time. Several teams were turned off by his ridiculous ego. Maybe his recent scare has knocked that out of him a bit, but I don't get that "good kid" vibe from him.

Archived