Contract Negotiations

mphs mike

any rumors?, anything around Buffalo that we don't "see" on the internet?

Is Darcy still sticking with - we don't negotiate during the season or are there talks with people such as Briere now that he can negotiate per the CBA?

I highly doubt Darcy will do anything with Briere or Drury during the regular season. He is over cautious with everything to the point where it is becomes a fault more than a strength.

Anything is possible, but I just don't see it happening.

A couple of weeks ago on HNIC's Hot Stove, they reported that Briere is looking for a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract. They expected the team to start working on a deal after the new year.

It's a rumor, so take it for what it's worth. Other than that, I've heard nada.

I hate to contribute to the dumbing-down of American society by overusing another stupid catch-phrase, but Darcy needs to Git-R-Done...if not his first priority, then no. 1A on the list should be getting Drury & Briere re-signed before they hit the open market.

A couple of weeks ago on HNIC's Hot Stove, they reported that Briere is looking for a 5 year, 25 million dollar contract. They expected the team to start working on a deal after the new year.

It's a rumor, so take it for what it's worth. Other than that, I've heard nada.

A 5 year $25 million contract for Briere would not increase our cap hit for him. Definately a good thing. I figured he would be looking for more.

I highly doubt Darcy will do anything with Briere or Drury during the regular season. He is over cautious with everything to the point where it is becomes a fault more than a strength.

If Darcy hadn't been so cautious last year, we may have had McKee back, but at what cost? We don't exactly have a ton of cap room. Every extra dollar spent on McKee was a dollar that can't be spent elsewhere.

This is an unnecessary shot, IMHO. I assume you are happy with the team as currently constructed. Darcy knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. He held on to guys like Campbell or Tallinder or Connolly who took a little longer to hit their strides. He also dumped guys like Grosek, Primeau and Gratton when he realized they weren't effective but there was value to be gotten for them. Sometimes making a move for the sake of making a move can be destructive.

I'm highly confident Darcy is going to try to sign both of the co-captains before they hit the open market. If either of them leaves, it will be for more money, not because Darcy was hiding under his bed afraid to start negotiating.

Here's a little bit more info on this: sabres.com multimedia has a 20-minute "midyear review" interview up with Darcy. I listened to it last night. He said he's spoken with the agents for both Drury and Briere to get a sense of where they are. He also said that ultimately it's up to the player, not the team, b/c the player is the one who is the UFA.

Overall, it doesn't sound like much is happening. My guess is that both agents either (i) said that the players wanted to test the market or (ii) came back with out-of-sight numbers. But that is just speculation. The main point I took away from it is that Darcy is definitely willing to sign them now and not wait until after the season.

Here's a little bit more info on this: sabres.com multimedia has a 20-minute "midyear review" interview up with Darcy. I listened to it last night. He said he's spoken with the agents for both Drury and Briere to get a sense of where they are. He also said that ultimately it's up to the player, not the team, b/c the player is the one who is the UFA.

Overall, it doesn't sound like much is happening. My guess is that both agents either (i) said that the players wanted to test the market or (ii) came back with out-of-sight numbers. But that is just speculation. The main point I took away from it is that Darcy is definitely willing to sign them now and not wait until after the season.

Thanks, while I agree with your speculation the most important part is actual news to me - Darcy is opening the lines of communication during the season.

I'll have to listen to the interview when I get a chance, but Darcy can't sit back and say it is ultimately up to the player. He has to decide what he wants to pay these two(if he wants to sign them) and get his BEST offer on the table ASAP! At that point if the players choose to opt for free agency, I have no problem with Darcy.

This is an unnecessary shot, IMHO. I assume you are happy with the team as currently constructed. Darcy knows when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em. He held on to guys like Campbell or Tallinder or Connolly who took a little longer to hit their strides. He also dumped guys like Grosek, Primeau and Gratton when he realized they weren't effective but there was value to be gotten for them. Sometimes making a move for the sake of making a move can be destructive.

I'm highly confident Darcy is going to try to sign both of the co-captains before they hit the open market. If either of them leaves, it will be for more money, not because Darcy was hiding under his bed afraid to start negotiating.

Actually its not really an unecessary shot becasue its true. Because he was so cautious after the lockout it cost us the ability to lock up some of the Sabres free agents to long contracts for less money. Before last season Briere could be had for much cheaper then what he can get now in the offseason. Mckee could still be here for much less.

But the only reason this didn't work out well is because the players did more then anyone expected out of them last year and this year driving up their price. Sure it might have turned out worse for Darcy had he signed everyone long term and they were deadlast in the league, but Darcy said he had been building the team preparing for changes to the rules for a couple years before the lockout.

Archived