oh mr. melrose

mediumishot

i was in the chat with the hockey genius and i brought up the old miller/olympic debate, according to him Dipietro is still ahead in the running for next olympics. i dont get it, Miller is by far the better US goaltender and should lead the team in 2010..am i missing something?

i was in the chat with the hockey genius and i brought up the old miller/olympic debate, according to him Dipietro is still ahead in the running for next olympics. i dont get it, Miller is by far the better US goaltender and should lead the team in 2010..am i missing something?

The only thing you are missing, is that this debate is completely irrelevant at this time. A lot can happen between now and then, so the question who is better at this point is meaningless.

I think what you're missing is that Miller exists as a "star" only in Buffalo, and we've all probably been guilty of overrating him a bit. His numbers don't impress, and he hasn't won anything yet in his career.

somebody's got a case of the Monday's...

I think what you're missing is that Miller exists as a "star" only in Buffalo, and we've all probably been guilty of overrating him a bit. His numbers don't impress, and he hasn't won anything yet in his career.

he did have a great body check Sat. vs OOtawa. :nana:

Miller is a star only in Buffalo? :blink: Which Eastern Conference goalies would you take over him right now? For that matter, how many goalies throughout the league would you take over Ryan?

I guess DiPietro is clearly a bigger star, since he has been tearing up the league on the Island, racking up all those Cups & Vezinas. Oh wait, he's a career 71-71-8-6, 2.84, .902? Much better than Miller's 53-29-1-5, 2.69, .910 numbers...

Like Labatt said, its way too early to say that Miller or DiPietro should be the Team USA starter come 2010, as anything can happen. But as of right now, the debate pretty much begins and ends with those two, and if Miller continues progressing the way he has over his first couple seasons, he'll be the clear choice over the inconsistent DiPietro.

Miller is a star only in Buffalo? :blink: Which Eastern Conference goalies would you take over him right now? For that matter, how many goalies throughout the league would you take over Ryan?

I misinterpreted what gopuck was asking. I took the question as "why doesn't Ryan get more respect around the league/in the media?" Is he better than DiPietro? F if I know. I really don't care. The Olympics don't blow my skirt up.

BM, you're asking two different questions. Is he a star in this league? No. Not yet. Who would I take over him? Probably no one.

ink, I'd rather have the Mondays than the Everydays. :thumbdown:

I guess that it depends on your definition of what a star is. I am not calling him a superstar goalie - those types of goalies included Hasek, Patrick Roy and Brodeur (all at their prime.) He's not there yet, but he is a rising star nonetheless, in the same way that Vanek and Max are rising stars.

I guess that it depends on your definition of what a star is. I am not calling him a superstar goalie - those types of goalies included Hasek, Patrick Roy and Brodeur (all at their prime.) He's not there yet, but he is a rising star nonetheless, in the same way that Vanek and Max are rising stars.

Before I anoint him a star of any order, I'd like to see that GAA come down and the number of shutouts go up. He's more than capable. It just seems like he gives up that weird goal every second or third game. And I don't think it can necessarily be attributed to the "attack" style the Sabres play. In fact, when you think about the goals the Sabres give up, more often than not, it's because our defense got caught running around below the circles. Oftentimes it's a harmless looking shot from the point that finds its way in. I still have nightmares about some of those goals the Hurricanes scored.

Edit: One of the things that has me scratching my head about this team is how, with Ryan Miller in goal and Martin Biron backing him up, and a solid D in front of them, we are 16th in goals against average. That has to improve.

Before I anoint him a star of any order, I'd like to see that GAA come down and the number of shutouts go up. He's more than capable. It just seems like he gives up that weird goal every second or third game. And I don't think it can necessarily be attributed to the "attack" style the Sabres play. In fact, when you think about the goals the Sabres give up, more often than not, it's because our defense got caught running around below the circles. Oftentimes it's a harmless looking shot from the point that finds its way in. I still have nightmares about some of those goals the Hurricanes scored.

I'm not going to disagree with you on the Canes' goals in the ECF - he did let in some tough ones to swallow. Then again, the Canes did get a buttload of lucky bounces & breaks in that series, but that's neither here nor there. My only thought on Ryan's play there was that he seemed to hit the wall a little there - I personally would have liked to see Marty play a couple more games down the stretch, leading into the playoffs, so Ryan would have been a little fresher.

Personally, I do think the Sabres' attack style plays a HUGE part in his numbers, just like the Oilers' attack style played a huge part in Fuhr's numbers. Ryan's SV percentage is still around .917, and I am sure his GAA numbers will come down. Bottom line with Ryan is this - I don't worry when he's in the nets. I don't worry about bad clearing attempts, misplayed pucks, or weak wristers from odd angles finding the back of the net, and I know with Ryan in there, we have an excellent chance of skating out with the win.

I have to wonder, though, ECF aside - are you thinking of Marty when you remember these weird goals that sneak through?

Edit: One of the things that has me scratching my head about this team is how, with Ryan Miller in goal and Martin Biron backing him up, and a solid D in front of them, we are 16th in goals against average. That has to improve.

Maybe because Marty is bringing that stellar 3.15 GAA to the party? That, coupled with his .889 SV %, is why people are wondering why we're paying $2M+ for a backup goalie with those numbers...

Archived