Scoring chances

PASabreFan

It boggles my mind that the NHL can somehow keep track of all the hits, blocked shots, missed shots and giveaways that occur in a game, but they don't keep track of scoring chances. It would bring a whole new statistical analysis to the game. Can you imagine baseball missing out on a key stat like that -- they even count spits and scratches.

So... if the league isn't going to do it, why don't we? I propose that as many posters as possible count scoring chances tonight and PM them to someone to be compared and averaged or something.

We'll have to decide on a working definition of a scoring chance though, which could be kind of tricky.

1. A good chance to score, not a wrister from the point or a shot from a bad angle.

2. Doesn't have to result in a shot on goal. A breakaway shot over the net would count.

3. Doesn't even have to result in a missed shot. Vanek the other night had the best scoring chance of the game without even attempting a shot.

Who's up for it?

I've always been vague on what constitues a scoring chance. To me it is as clear as when a penalty shot is awarded.

Normally, I'd give this a go, but I'm trapped, trapped I say, going to yet another Christmas party. I'm going to be reduced to sneaking looks at the score from my blackberry..

10 more days until Christmas is in the rear-view mirror.

Oh yeah. Never mind. But you never see the third period total. Or do they show that on the postgame show? I rarely watch it. Those numbers aren't archived anywhere are they?

In any event, it might be interesting to see how close we can come to the semiofficial numbers. Or not. :)

I think I'll give it a shot tonight.

Oh yeah. Never mind. But you never see the third period total. Or do they show that on the postgame show? I rarely watch it. Those numbers aren't archived anywhere are they?

In any event, it might be interesting to see how close we can come to the semiofficial numbers. Or not. :)

I think I'll give it a shot tonight.

Did you figure it out PA? :D

On another note:

Sabres had a lot of shots (what 39???)... Doesn't it always seem to go like that, the team that has more shots somehow loses to the team that sometimes can only get half as many... WTF gives?

As much as it makes me a nervous wreck... A win and less shots would have made me happier! :o

I don't know how many scoring chances one would consider they had tonite, but it was a lot...probably more than i've seen in the last 2 or 3 games combined. Just couldn't put the puck in---it's been a long time since I saw such poor finishing from them...how did Hecht miss that wide open net? They showed him with his head in his hands on the bench after his shift, and I know he had to be thinking the same thing... The save on Drury by Emery was amazing, but as was happening all night to the entire team, the puck bounced on Drury a little bit and by the time he was able to settle it down, he allowed Emery to get back into position---otherwise it was a sure goal as the whole side of the net would have been open...

Archived