Connolly Practicing?

norfend

I heard this morning on WGR Lindy talking about Connolly exercising and possibly getting ready to play!! I had a customer, and didnt hear much more than that... anybody else hear it?

Exercising(1), skating alone(2), practicing with the team(3) & playing(4) could be many weeks apart. That being said, if he can at least exercise, that is one small step forward.

Well, its a start for him, but still doesn't mean much, he has only started riding an exercise Bike almost 6 months after the hit

"With the recent turn of events, I'm very optimistic that he could be back, realizing that even at this stage, with the amount of downtime he's had and lack of exercise, it would probably take a couple months to get him in the type of shape you need to play in this league," he said.

Like the quote says it could take him a couple months to get back into game shape, and that is without set backs.

I've said this a few times, the Sabres are going all out this year for the Cup. This is as close as anyone has ever gotten (regier, ruff, buffalo as a city). They won't let anything stop them.

We won't deal Biron for that reason.

And Connolly WILL BE HEALTHY by end of Feburary to play, but he won't, he will pull a Forsberg from few years ago when he didn't play at all then all of a sudden in the playoffs he recks it up. Even look at Owen Nolan, he missed like a year and a half i think if not more, comes in VERY FRESH and has like 9 goals and 9 assists this season, and he is a old player on a bad team. Imagine Connolly with Max and Vanek. He won't lose a step, esspicially since he will be in game form from Feb on to the playoffs and his will to play will be higher then ever.

As sad as it sounds, Sabres don't care about Connolly's risk of more injuries. They're gonna go all out this season, i've said it on this board many times. Connolly, if he likes it or not, hasn't play his last game. Maybe he will get his headache's back in the playoffs, win the Cup and retire. But, Sabres will go give their best chance to win the Cup and re-eveluate everything next summer.

I truly believe that.

I've said this a few times, the Sabres are going all out this year for the Cup. This is as close as anyone has ever gotten (regier, ruff, buffalo as a city). They won't let anything stop them.

We won't deal Biron for that reason.

And Connolly WILL BE HEALTHY by end of Feburary to play, but he won't, he will pull a Forsberg from few years ago when he didn't play at all then all of a sudden in the playoffs he recks it up. Even look at Owen Nolan, he missed like a year and a half i think if not more, comes in VERY FRESH and has like 9 goals and 9 assists this season, and he is a old player on a bad team. Imagine Connolly with Max and Vanek. He won't lose a step, esspicially since he will be in game form from Feb on to the playoffs and his will to play will be higher then ever.

As sad as it sounds, Sabres don't care about Connolly's risk of more injuries. They're gonna go all out this season, i've said it on this board many times. Connolly, if he likes it or not, hasn't play his last game. Maybe he will get his headache's back in the playoffs, win the Cup and retire. But, Sabres will go give their best chance to win the Cup and re-eveluate everything next summer.

I truly believe that.

Any evidence for this statement? I find this highly objectionable. Just because they want him back, this doesn't mean they don't care about his well-being. It's possible that they don't care, but why would you assume this?

Not to mention that it doesn't jibe with their actions in giving him $10 million. They wouldn't have done so if they thought he was at high risk for injury.

I agree with your theory that the Sabres are going all out to win the cup this year. I also agree that Timmy will be back healthy and contributing this year, but this is mostly because (i) I think the Sabres did a ton of due diligence before committing the $10 million to him (which they owe him even if he never plays again), and the expert advice they got was that he would fully recover and play this year and (ii) the hockey gods owe us.

Go Sabres.

Any evidence for this statement? I find this highly objectionable. Just because they want him back, this doesn't mean they don't care about his well-being. It's possible that they don't care, but why would you assume this?

Not to mention that it doesn't jibe with their actions in giving him $10 million. They wouldn't have done so if they thought he was at high risk for injury.

I agree with your theory that the Sabres are going all out to win the cup this year. I also agree that Timmy will be back healthy and contributing this year, but this is mostly because (i) I think the Sabres did a ton of due diligence before committing the $10 million to him (which they owe him even if he never plays again), and the expert advice they got was that he would fully recover and play this year and (ii) the hockey gods owe us.

Go Sabres.

The last part is what makes me think so. They gave Connolly $10 million, why?? For one good season? For potential? Darcy Regier doesn't give up many dumb deals. IMO he told Connolly, here's a load of money, you're life is set, your family is covered, we just need you, probably for about 25 games in the playoffs worst case senerio. And i think Connolly knows he's getting a free ride this year. And if Sabres win the Cup, i think it will be up to Connolly if he will return or not. I don't think a minor headache in the playoffs will keep him away.

I think their preparing him for his last 2 months of hockey. $10 million is alot of money for a guy with so much risk. It makes little sense, the only way it makes sense to me is if Connolly knows the game plan, knows that he won't play but train hard and skate hard then play in the playoffs, and knows the least he needs to do is, give 110% in the playoffs. Hopefully a big headache won't get him so he will stop playing mid-way thru the playoffs. Sabres got the Cup in their sights and i think their going all out. I don't even think Regier is anwsering calls for Marty Biron.

The last part is what makes me think so. They gave Connolly $10 million, why?? For one good season? For potential? Darcy Regier doesn't give up many dumb deals. IMO he told Connolly, here's a load of money, you're life is set, your family is covered, we just need you, probably for about 25 games in the playoffs worst case senerio. And i think Connolly knows he's getting a free ride this year. And if Sabres win the Cup, i think it will be up to Connolly if he will return or not. I don't think a minor headache in the playoffs will keep him away.

I think their preparing him for his last 2 months of hockey. $10 million is alot of money for a guy with so much risk. It makes little sense, the only way it makes sense to me is if Connolly knows the game plan, knows that he won't play but train hard and skate hard then play in the playoffs, and knows the least he needs to do is, give 110% in the playoffs. Hopefully a big headache won't get him so he will stop playing mid-way thru the playoffs. Sabres got the Cup in their sights and i think their going all out. I don't even think Regier is anwsering calls for Marty Biron.

Are you saying they gave him $10 million to fake a recovery from his concussion and play during the playoffs so they could win the cup this year? This is a pretty far-fetched conspiracy theory, IMHO. They gave him $10 million because he realized his potential and turned into a star last year. He was their #1 center. He killed penalties. He ran the power play. He led all forwards in ice time. He was a conn smythe contender before he got hurt in the playoffs. He scored and set up highlight-reel goals. Yes, it was only one season, but $3 million per year for a player like that is actually pretty cheap based on current market values in the NHL.

Connolly wants to come back because, like most great players, he loves playing hockey. What NHL player wouldn't want to come back to the best team in the league with a real shot at the cup this year? Now, that may change if he wakes up with killer headaches every day and can't remember his address. In that case he should definitely retire. But if the headaches are gone and he can exercise, then skate, then practice with no symptoms -- he's going to come back because he loves the game.

I don't think he's faking anything.

I think he will be ready to skate around first week in January like origionally planned this past summer and ready to play early Feburary, but no way will Sabres play him. Not only would it ruin our salery cap, but also, they won't risk him. I think Sabres are counting so much on Connolly that they basicially gave him $10 million for about 25 games.

What he does next season they will eveluate during the summer. But, i think all alone the summer, the plan was sit him all year til playoffs, and knowing that, they STILL gave him $10 million for 3 years.

TDarcy Regier doesn't give up many dumb deals. IMO he told Connolly, here's a load of money, you're life is set, your family is covered, we just need you, probably for about 25 games in the playoffs worst case senerio.

There is no way Darcy(and TG) had this in mind when they gave Connolly 10 million. They are not in this business of "taking care" of the players and making sure they have financial stability in the future. They got some bad advice from the doctors over the summer and are now attending church on a daily basis, praying that Connolly can come back and play again. If not, somebody is going to have egg on their face(about $10 million dollars worth of egg that is ;) ).

There is no way Darcy(and TG) had this in mind when they gave Connolly 10 million. They are not in this business of "taking care" of the players and making sure they have financial stability in the future. They got some bad advice from the doctors over the summer and are now attending church on a daily basis, praying that Connolly can come back and play again. If not, somebody is going to have egg on their face(about $10 million dollars worth of egg that is ;) ).

No, but they do have the Cup in their minds. If they were to offer a fair value for Connolly (a guy who at the time, people said might never play again), and even if he does, he might be a hit away from ending his career right there on the ice, no way would anyone offer him $10 million over 3 years.

Regier knows, the Cup doesn?t come cheap, Golisano has loads of money and the money he will gain in the 3-4 home games in the finals will be enough for him. And winning the Cup is priceless. They gave Connolly $10 million, knowing that once the playoffs start, he can play and Sabres can be over the ?cap? at that point. They only really need Connolly for 25 games, after that everything is a cherry on top.

Like I said, to reward the Sabres back, a little headache is not gonna keep Connolly away from the playoffs, something massive is gonna need to happen in his head in the playoffs for him to sit out.

I understand the potential he has, but $10 million for that much risk..... and they knew he wouldn't play this year til January at the earliest, no way they would ever offer so much money if there wasn't under the table talks of Connolly being the "secret" weapon come playoff time.

What if Timmy comes back the day after the trade deadline? I heard that the cap basically is non-existent after the deadline, so maybe we can use his money to pay the call ups and what not, then activate him. Not sure exactly how this all works.

I believe the cap goes out the window when the regular season ends, not the trade deadline.

I don't think he's faking anything.

I think he will be ready to skate around first week in January like origionally planned this past summer and ready to play early Feburary, but no way will Sabres play him. Not only would it ruin our salery cap, but also, they won't risk him. I think Sabres are counting so much on Connolly that they basicially gave him $10 million for about 25 games.

What he does next season they will eveluate during the summer. But, i think all alone the summer, the plan was sit him all year til playoffs, and knowing that, they STILL gave him $10 million for 3 years.

As far as the salary cap is concerned, as soon as he is healthy enough to play, he has to come back.

As far as the salary cap is concerned, as soon as he is healthy enough to play, he has to come back.

He can't unless we make a salery dump.... and start hoping our guys stay healthy and limit the callups.

Mark my words- Connolly will play his first game in game 1 and will look great.

Go Sabres.

Spot on, Free.

I'm not even a big Darcy fan like most are here (sorry, just don't see him as the hockey god most here do) but I will give the guy credit for not doing something so stupid as what is being proposed by some people here? He payed Connolly 10 mil to fake a return for the playoffs? That is the dumbest thing I have ever heard. If Darcy was banking on winning it all this year, he would not have continued building a young team and would be dealing picks and prospects for vets with more playoff experience.

Plus, who says Connolly will come back and play at the same level. With this being his second serious head injury, he may come back and play alot more conservatively and try not to get re-injured. Personnally I don't see why we need him back, we have done well without him up to now. Let him rest this season and come back 110% for next season, instead of 80% this year and risk ruining his career and life.

He can't unless we make a salery dump.... and start hoping our guys stay healthy and limit the callups.

My prediction is that this sentence is 50% correct. It would be crazy not to get him any game action until the playoffs if he is healthy and ready to go. If he keeps exercising with no symptoms, my crystal ball says his 1st game back will be Sat. Feb. 10 vs. Calgary. It's the 3rd home game after the all-star break.

As to whether we need to dump salary in order for him to play -- I'm not sure whether this is true at this point. I think it depends on how many games the Rochester callups play. Not sure whether we're over the limit yet or not. In any case they will release Peters if they need to get under the cap.

My prediction is that this sentence is 50% correct. It would be crazy not to get him any game action until the playoffs if he is healthy and ready to go. If he keeps exercising with no symptoms, my crystal ball says his 1st game back will be Sat. Feb. 10 vs. Calgary. It's the 3rd home game after the all-star break.

As to whether we need to dump salary in order for him to play -- I'm not sure whether this is true at this point. I think it depends on how many games the Rochester callups play. Not sure whether we're over the limit yet or not. In any case they will release Peters if they need to get under the cap.

The problem with releasing Peters is it doesn't free up much cap space, and it leaves an empty roster spot to fill for someone who makes more money

Yes he can. The Sabres are allowed to go over the cap because Connolly is on Long Term IR. However, since we're over the cap we're not "banking" any money for later.

Like I said, to reward the Sabres back, a little headache is not gonna keep Connolly away from the playoffs, something massive is gonna need to happen in his head in the playoffs for him to sit out.

I always worry about Connolly coming back and in the playoffs, EVERYONE gunning for his head. I mean, it wouldn't take much to get his equilibrium off balance would it? An elbow to the jaw could do. That's what I'm really afraid of. When I saw Connolly lying on the ice, I knew his season was over, as I'm sure, everyone else did.

Anyways, on a happy note, I did have a dream about a week ago that I had turned on the game and Connolly was playing. I was so happy to see him back....man if certain people knew I even dreamed about hockey, they'd be like...mad.

No, but they do have the Cup in their minds. If they were to offer a fair value for Connolly (a guy who at the time, people said might never play again), and even if he does, he might be a hit away from ending his career right there on the ice, no way would anyone offer him $10 million over 3 years.

Regier knows, the Cup doesn?t come cheap, Golisano has loads of money and the money he will gain in the 3-4 home games in the finals will be enough for him. And winning the Cup is priceless. They gave Connolly $10 million, knowing that once the playoffs start, he can play and Sabres can be over the ?cap? at that point. They only really need Connolly for 25 games, after that everything is a cherry on top.

I understand the potential he has, but $10 million for that much risk..... and they knew he wouldn't play this year til January at the earliest, no way they would ever offer so much money if there wasn't under the table talks of Connolly being the "secret" weapon come playoff time.

Most of what you're saying does not make any sense. And you keep acting like headaches will magically reappear at some point well after his return. He is not coming back until he is fully healthy. Once he is back, he is just like any other player, he is not going to all of a sudden have headaches. Don't forget every player is one hit away from their career being over, not just Tim. Every player who suits up knows these risks. Hockey is the fastest contact sport and any player can get hurt at any time.

The whole reason for Tim and the organizations frustration at this point is that Tim was still having headaches periodically. If he has gone a certain time without these than he is deemed healthy and ready to play again, the only difference between him and any other player now being his past history of concussions.

Archived