This Day in Sabres History

January 5, 1976

A day after stunning the Soviet Wings, the Sabres arrive in the cradle of hockey and receive a long standing ovation before the game from the faithful at the Montreal Forum. Perhaps the reception inspires the Sabres, who win 4-2, just their fifth victory in Montreal in 21 tries to date. "How often do you get a standing ovation in an opponent's rink?" Sabre GM Punch Imlach pondered.

January 5, 1985

The Islanders' Stanley Cup dynasty is in decline and the career of Sabres' goalie Tom Barrasso is on the rise as the two teams meet on Long Island. Barrasso stops Bryan Trottier on a penalty shot as the Sabres win, 7-3.

January 5, 1990

The Sabres trade John Tucker to the Washington Capitals for future considerations. Six months later, the Sabres would purchase Tucker back from the Caps only to trade him again in January 1991 to the Islanders for future considerations. Must feel good to be so wanted, eh? Tucker ended up in Tampa Bay for four seasons before retiring. In Buffalo, he scored 116 goals in the regular season and nine in the playoffs, none bigger than one in overtime of the first round of the playoffs in 1988 against the Bruins.

January 5, 1996

At the Aud, the Sabres retire the sweater number 2 of legendary NHL defenseman Tim Horton, who played two seasons in Buffalo and was credited with helping to develop a young Sabre defense and providing veteran leadership to the nascent franchise. Before joining the Sabres for the 1972-73 season, the reliable Horton was a seven-time all star and four-time winner of the Stanley Cup with Toronto. He died in a car accident returning from a game in Toronto in 1974. And, yes, younger fans, THAT Tim Horton. :)

The Sabres trade John Tucker to the Washington Capitals for future considerations. Six months later, the Sabres would purchase Tucker back from the Caps only to trade him again in January 1991 to the Islanders for future considerations. Must feel good to be so wanted, eh? Tucker ended up in Tampa Bay for four seasons before retiring. In Buffalo, he scored 116 goals in the regular season and nine in the playoffs, none bigger than one in overtime of the first round of the playoffs in 1988 against the Bruins.

John Tucker was always one of my favorites...

That penalty shot against the Bruins in game 3 still gives me goosebumps...those two games are two of my favorite dvd's...

John Tucker was always one of my favorites...

That penalty shot against the Bruins in game 3 still gives me goosebumps...those two games are two of my favorite dvd's...

i think i was only 7 or 8 when that happened but i remember those games like they happened yesterday.

anyone remember the goal andreychuck scored against the bruins (i believe) where he's on his knees in a pile up in front and reaches pracitcally behind the net, pulls it out front and stuffs it home?

shrader, good suggestion. I see on twobillsdrive.com that they have a "This Day in Bills History" feature that updates automatically every day. I might approach the powers that be here and see if it's possible.

CSB... that goal is on the RJ CD. I myself can't remember that goal, but it certainly blew Rick and Jim away. Speaking of the CD, I got mine last night. Loved it but was bitterly disappointed in the May Day call. Why was it cut so short, both at the beginning and at the end?

Also, it still drives me crazy that for a few year in the late 80s, the horn at the Aud absolutely destroyed Jeanneret's goal calls. You can hear it on the CD several times where his voice is just wiped out. WTF was running the audio board at that time?

Any idea what all the future considerations for Tucker turned into?

PS

- Loved the THAT Tim Horton line. I still remember getting to put up a tribute to Tim bulletin board in the 7th grade in 1974!

Mike, sorry, I don't know. It's not in the media guide.

I did find Tucker's career stats. http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=5487

100 goals in the OHL before joining the Sabres. I guess you could say he was a bit of disappointment in Buffalo. But he did enjoy a nice renaissance in Tampa and played as recently as 2000 in Japan, scoring 14 goals for Kokudo! But holy moly Tucker had 7 goals and 10 points in that six-game series against the Bruins in 1988.

Legends of Hockey -- http://www.legendsofhockey.net:8080/Legend...sp?player=11665

shrader, good suggestion. I see on twobillsdrive.com that they have a "This Day in Bills History" feature that updates automatically every day. I might approach the powers that be here and see if it's possible.

I was thinking you were reminding me of Rockpile!

Keep up the good work!