Was Darcy too generous??

LabattBlue

The Sabres are so tight against the cap that they had to send Paille & Stafford back down to Rochester until the game on Friday. Let's hope there are no more long term injuries, because there is no room to play with. The Connolly contract is really killing them and his return is nowhere in sight.

I think the Connolly signing was a crap shoot and he crapped out. (so far) If he comes back and makes huge contributions we will all forget about this. I think sending the kids down was just being cap saavy.

Inkman...I don't think it was cap saavy, it was cap necessity.

I thought he was, and by doing so, it gave us some cap wiggle room. I seem to remember Philly doing something similar last year - using paper transactions for guys moving between the Flyers and the Phantoms to help with their cap issues. Didn't someone mention - probably Dave - that cap space is accrued daily? If so, then a "paper demotion" might give them some more cap space later? Yes, no? DAVE??? :unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

Dave will have to clarify. But if I understand correctly, if Connolly is on long term-IR, the team can spend over the cap to replace him (by the amount that he takes them over). However, I don't think you can "bank" this money for cap space later. They are probably using paper transactions to reduce the actual amount of money they have to spend rather than trying to free up cap space.

Inkman...I don't think it was cap saavy, it was cap necessity.

A little a both. The cap hit is based on a per diem, so if they practice with the parent club that day is counted against the cap. It just makes sense to save all the money you can this time of year because

Darcy may need to make a move later in the season.

Dave will have to clarify. But if I understand correctly, if Connolly is on long term-IR, the team can spend over the cap to replace him (by the amount that he takes them over). However, I don't think you can "bank" this money for cap space later. They are probably using paper transactions to reduce the actual amount of money they have to spend rather than trying to free up cap space.

Your 1st 2 takes on the BLTI-IR are correct. On the 3rd one, while the team IS reducing its actual payroll by sending Danny and Drew down to Ra-cha-cha they are also banking the $500-600/day that the team is under the salary cap when they have the 22 man roster (including Connolly).

The salary cap space that is being saved is a true pittance, but it IS (remotely) possible that those few extra $'s could end up giving the team a LITTLE bit of flexibility at / after the trade deadline. Saving $80k-$100k throughout the course of the season won't give the Sabres the ability to bring another player onto the roster, but may allow the Sabres to "risk" sending Peters to the Amerks for the stretch run and bringing up Paille in place of him (assuming Timmy is healthy, otherwise it isn't an issue). It also may allow the Sabres to trade a player for one that is slightly more expensive against the salary cap (same caveots as last comment).

When the team is legally over the salary cap (as they were on Sunday and Monday) there are no salary cap $'s to be banked because there is no free space under the cap.

I don't BELIEVE the team loses banked salary cap $'s when they legally exceed the salary cap, but every time I read the paragraph that deals with that question I keep changing my interpretation. (Having a "BID" / preamble for the CBA would be a wonderful thing, but unfortunately one doesn't exist (or at least it isn't publicly available) :( . My money says it doesn't exist based on the whining of league GM's when Lamoriello got Mogilny off his salary cap books. <_< ) So the Sabres MAY actually be saving banked salary cap space when they have their 22 man roster vs. the "24" man roster they had on Sunday in addition to the $500-600 they are saving per day.

On an unrelated note. No matter how many times you hear Paul Hamilton on WGR say that Connolly CANNOT come back to the Sabres even if he were ready to come back because he was put on BLTI-IR, Paul is still full of Mularky. Players CAN be placed on the BLTI-IR retroactively, so Timmy has been good to go even with being placed on the list as of late October.

A little a both. The cap hit is based on a per diem, so if they practice with the parent club that day is counted against the cap. It just makes sense to save all the money you can this time of year because

Darcy may need to make a move later in the season.

Except for game days when the game is played prior to 5:00PM, the salary cap roster is calculated at 5:00PM. So, if the Sabres wanted Paille and Stafford to practice in the morning and then drive back to Ra-cha-cha, they could do it and not have them count against the cap.

The players have to actually be "sent" back to the minors, so I'm not sure if the players have to physically report to Ra-cha-cha or if telling them to drive down and report by 5:00PM is enough to keep from skirting the rules.

This is where I need some help. Doesn't Connolly's cap space have to be reserved in case he comes back to play this year? Dave_b how about a little help here? :)

If Timmy is ready to come back, the Sabres will have to send however much of his salary they were replacing off the roster or he cannot be reactivated.

Or in plainer English. When Timmy is reactivated, the team must be on pace to not exceed the salary cap when his salary is included in the Sabres average salary. If his salary would have them project over the cap, then he cannot be reactivated. They would need to trade salary, send somebody to the minors, or release salary.

That is why picking up a player via trade isn't really an option right now. It's easy to bring players up and down from Ra-cha-cha, but if Timmy's salary were replaced with Brendan Morrison's salary (just picked a name out of the air for no particular reason), the team would have to cut or trade someone when Timmy was ready to come back.

Archived