This Day in Sabres History: November 7th

PASabreFan

November 7, 1986

In Craig Ramsay's coaching debut, Gilbert Perreault scores twice, but the Sabres fall to the Vancouver Canucks at the Aud, 7-6. After calling off his retirement in training camp, Bert has scored nine goals in the first 14 games of the season.

November 7, 1981

At Nassau Coliseum against Billy Smith and the Islanders, defenseman John Van Boxmeer tallies a natural hat trick in a 6-2 Sabres' victory.

According to hockeydb.com, Smith appears to have been THE guy for the Isles in the playoffs in all 4 years they won the Cup, (1980-83), but in the regular season he and Resch basically split time. Smith played between 38 and 46 games each year ... seeing as he was clearly insane, maybe they wanted to make sure he made it through the season without getting kicked out for spearing someone's eye out. he almost got Lindy if I remember correctly.

Hey PA - can you tell me whether in 1981 Billy Smith had become the Isles starter? I seem to recall that he was initially the backup to Chico Resch, although he eclipsed Resch and became a Hall of Fame goalie.

I don't believe Smith was ever Chico's backup. Resch challenged him for the starter's job at times and played a significant amount some years, but he was never the starter. Smith always played in the playoffs before Resch.

I don't believe Smith was ever Chico's backup. Resch challenged him for the starter's job at times and played a significant amount some years, but he was never the starter. Smith always played in the playoffs before Resch.

While they did tend to have an Edwards/Sauve type of split, in the '70's and in '80 Resch was considered the #1 (after 2 years of apprenticeship). He ended up as the league's 2nd team all star on a couple of occasions. (Backup goalies rarely receive end of the season awards.)

In the playoffs, IIRC Resch would normally be the 1st starter, but if he faltered and Smith didn't, Arbour had no qualms with going with the hot hand. After the '80 playoff run, Torrey and Arbour decided Chico was expendable and sent him to Colorado in mid-season. Based upon the success the Isles had in the next 4 years (3 more SC's and another trip to the finals), I'd have to say they were correct.

According to hockeydb.com, Smith appears to have been THE guy for the Isles in the playoffs in all 4 years they won the Cup, (1980-83), but in the regular season he and Resch basically split time. Smith played between 38 and 46 games each year ... seeing as he was clearly insane, maybe they wanted to make sure he made it through the season without getting kicked out for spearing someone's eye out. he almost got Lindy if I remember correctly.

IMHO, it was a combination of that and Chico being the more spectacular of the 2 and in the regular season being the better of the 2. In the regular season, I wouldn't include Smith in the top 10 goalies in the league in any year he played.

The thing was, once the playoffs rolled around, there were very few goalies in the history of the league that were better than Smith.

Thanks Dave - that fits with my recollection. It drove me nuts that a team younger than the Sabres ended what was supposed to be our glorious 75-76 Cup and then won 4 Cups with a "backup" goalie that became Dryden, Sawchuk, Hall, etc. once the playoffs rolled around.

I guess I still have issues with the Isles but man was that a talented group of players!

Archived