number of games w/o a regulation loss

blugold43

To me, that one's more legit anyway...I happen to agree with all those bitter old leaf guys that the record would have been a little tainted by shootout wins.

but to break the record for most games without a loss...shootout or not, no one can can put an asterisk next to that.

so what is the record?

I agree... Except with the bitter old Leafs guys, they need to get over themselves... They think they would do great in SO's... :lol: :lol:

It is harder to extend a winning streak with the rules in place today because a SO is basically a crapshoot at times... The antithesis of a "team" W, sort of...

What gets me is that you get a W for a SO win and don't get a L for the loss... In the official W-L column.

They should give you a W for a win in reg or OT... A L for a loss in reg or OT and if you tie at the end of OT, you get a tie... Dah! Just like the old days... Now if you win the SO, you get a W in a 4th column for SO wins and the two points... This win would be separate and old records wouldn't be sullied or confused... Everything would be broken down, IMO.

I seem to remember that the most games without a loss is somewhere in the range of 32 by the Flyers back in 73... I don't recall the exact number or year, but maybe somebody else could confirm how close this is.

Regardless, thats pretty damn good to go 32 games without a loss, and that might even be counting not losing in overtime. Once again, not sure on the OT rules back then so maybe someone else could confirm that.

Basically i don't shi+... and you don't need someone else to confirm that!

:beer:

I seem to remember that the most games without a loss is somewhere in the range of 32 by the Flyers back in 73... I don't recall the exact number or year, but maybe somebody else could confirm how close this is.

Regardless, thats pretty damn good to go 32 games without a loss, and that might even be counting not losing in overtime. Once again, not sure on the OT rules back then so maybe someone else could confirm that.

There was no OT back in 1973 except in the playoffs... The teams would get a tie.

That probably explains why the Habs 1976-1977 season record of 8 losses total for the year will never be broken. In 80 games they went 60-8-12...

Now that is good! Kinda ranks up there with the Chicago Bulls season record in basketball... Yet, basketball, IMO is more talent driven with regards to winning period...

35 Games in '79-'80. 25-0-10. No OT that season. 4 years before OT introduced.

35 Games in '79-'80. 25-0-10. No OT that season. 4 years before OT introduced.

It's in the bag. ;)

The longest undefeated streak to start the season is 15 games by the Oilers who went 10-0-5 to open the 1984-1985 campaign. Of course, if you argued that the Sabres streak should be asterisk free, then it's hard to argue that we're still eligible for the undefeated streak without looking like a hypocrite. If you thought that our streak really didn't have the same meaning then you can claim we're still in the running for longest run to start the season without a regulation loss and be in the clear.

Another thread in here pointed out that the longest regulation winning streak to open a season would be the 75-76 Buffalo Sabres. They went 8-0 back when there was no OT. The 1993 Leafs went 7-0-1 in regulation (they won the eighth game in OT) before going on to their "10-0". So, if there are to be any asterisks, then the true record is still ours!

Archived