Teppo

X. Benedict

In the last few months I have heard a lot of negative stuff

about Teppo. He's too old, he's fragile, he's ready to retire, etc..

I am a bit surprised by this because for the most part the hockey IQ

of this board seems to be higher than most.

So far this is what we have from Teppo.

He is wearing the A

He is second on the team in TOI (behind Tallinder)

Is third on the team in blocked shots. 17

Averages 3:40 TOI for PK per game.

Averages 3:20 TOI for PP per game.

And still possesses the best breakout pass on the team.

Has 5 assists and seems to be on his normal pace

I don't see any sign of him slowing down.

Comments?

In the last few months I have heard a lot of negative stuff

about Teppo. He's too old, he's fragile, he's ready to retire, etc..

I am a bit surprised by this because for the most part the hockey IQ

of this board seems to be higher than most.

So far this is what we have from Teppo.

He is wearing the A

He is second on the team in TOI (behind Tallinder)

Is third on the team in blocked shots. 17

Averages 3:40 TOI for PK per game.

Averages 3:20 TOI for PP per game.

And still possesses the best breakout pass on the team.

Has 5 assists and seems to be on his normal pace

I don't see any sign of him slowing down.

Comments?

I just hope Lindy spells him with Paetsch several times during the season to give him some rest. He's 38 and can't skate in 98 (or more) games this year.

I think Paetsch will get into the lineup after the Sabres first loss. Hopefully in December.

I love Teppo, and they are a better team with him than without him. I am happy they brought him back, although I worry a bit about him wearing down ... we'll see if Lindy gets him some rest every 5th game or so once the streak ends.

Take it as "negative stuff" if you like, but guys get old FAST ... I would worry about bringing a 39-year old back for such a large cap number next season. Again, I am glad they brought him back for this season, but if they have to choose between him at 39 and maybe losing Drury or Briere, it's a no brainer.

I love Teppo, and they are a better team with him than without him. I am happy they brought him back, although I worry a bit about him wearing down ... we'll see if Lindy gets him some rest every 5th game or so once the streak ends.

Take it as "negative stuff" if you like, but guys get old FAST ... I would worry about bringing a 39-year old back for such a large cap number next season. Again, I am glad they brought him back for this season, but if they have to choose between him at 39 and maybe losing Drury or Briere, it's a no brainer.

very well said, BTP. I don't think anyone seriously disputes that Teppo is a really good defenseman, fits our system perfectly and makes us a better team. (Dmitri also seems to be benefiting from being paired with him, although it's pretty hard to tell from the outside how much of that is due to Teppo.)

It's just that having seen him wear down last year to the point where he couldn't play for much of the playoffs -- which left a big hole on the D -- I'm pretty concerned about the same thing happening again and hurting our chances at the big trophy. That doesn't mean I want to bench Teppo. I just want to plan ahead and let Paetsch play now and again to reduce wear and tear on Teppo. There will probably be enough of the random injuries like Kalinin/Tallinder/McKee/Connolly suffered last year in the playoffs to deal with again this year -- I'd hate to see us have to swallow losing Teppo again b/c of groin/ankle/other when it could have been prevented.

The other big point is Teppo's $2.6 million contract and the upcoming FA status of Drury, Briere, Vanek and Roy. As mentioned in another thread those 4 are going to be expensive to lock up. Nobody here wants to lose any of those guys (although losing Briere may be inevitable). I believe Teppo has mentioned retiring periodically over the past couple of years. We can't just pretend that his $2.6 million isn't an attractive pot of cash that could be used towards locking up those 4 core guys (assuming Vanek keeps playing well, he's definitely part of the core).

If Teppo stays healthy all year, and we can afford to keep him next year, by all means, let's keep him. But those are 2 huge ifs.

If Teppo stays healthy all year, and we can afford to keep him next year, by all means, let's keep him. But those are 2 huge ifs.

Good post. I think those are all good points, nfreeman. I think this summer Teppo and Darcy had a gentleman's agreement to pay him were the market was. Giving him a multi-year wasn't an option because of the over 35 clause in the CBA - but Teppo wanted to stay provided he was getting paid at

market value.

I wouldn't be surprised if a similar arrangement is made next year but that is really getting ahead.

Teppo is sound positionally and doesn't take an extraordinary amount of pounding (that say a Jay McKee would).

BTW he is closing in on his 600th NHL point. (4 away?)

and his 500 the NHL assist (17 away?)

I've been watching Teppo closely, and although he's playing very well, I've seen more penalties and turnovers than usual. A bit of a slow start, but he certainly makes up for it with the pinpoint passing, the uncanny plays to get us out of trouble and the apparent calming effect on Kalinin.

I think Teppo will get even better as the season goes along, assuming good health. Speaking of that, I'm not sure spelling him here or there makes that much difference. Next June, whether he played 82 (knock on wood) or 76 regular season games will be a moot point -- and I don't think there's any way, with a stated goal of getting home ice throughout, that Teppo, if healthy, sits for 15 or 20 games. And I don't think there's any way to "prevent" a recurrence of the injuries he had last season. Just hope for the best...

Here's something that no one bothered to post on this thread. Teppo shouldn't have a problem with life after hockey. He has his hockey stick and equipment company back in Finland (something his father started back in 1960).

Yes, he's taken some stupid penalties, but it seems to me that his contribution to the team far outweighs the negatives.

I haven't said anything negative about Teppo.

I love his play. I love his leadership.

I do think that Teppo needs to govern himself and if he's tired, tell Lindy and sit out a game to rest up.

A healthy Teppo in the playoffs is going to be a huge asset for this team.

I haven't said anything negative about Teppo.

I love his play. I love his leadership.

I do think that Teppo needs to govern himself and if he's tired, tell Lindy and sit out a game to rest up.

A healthy Teppo in the playoffs is going to be a huge asset for this team.

Well said, especially the last line.

I remember back in the ECF last year against Carolina. Teppo couldn't play any further because of some [legitimate] injury he sustained. However, he remained on the bench instead of getting in his street clothes. That has to be a testimony to his leadership.

I've been watching Teppo closely, and although he's playing very well, I've seen more penalties and turnovers than usual. A bit of a slow start, but he certainly makes up for it with the pinpoint passing, the uncanny plays to get us out of trouble and the apparent calming effect on Kalinin.

I think Teppo will get even better as the season goes along, assuming good health. Speaking of that, I'm not sure spelling him here or there makes that much difference. Next June, whether he played 82 (knock on wood) or 76 regular season games will be a moot point -- and I don't think there's any way, with a stated goal of getting home ice throughout, that Teppo, if healthy, sits for 15 or 20 games. And I don't think there's any way to "prevent" a recurrence of the injuries he had last season. Just hope for the best...

This is a tricky one. The Sabres will have plenty of back-to-back games and 3-in-4-nights this year, along with the usual travel burden (admittedly much less than in the Western conf.). The schedule will probably provide 10-12 opportunities to sit him out in those situations and thus reduce wear and tear. Would this course of action be certain to "prevent" a recurrence of last year's playoff injuries? Of course not. And I certainly wouldn't expect him to sit out any playoff games if healthy. But if Teppo's body were less worn down at the start of the playoffs due to having sat out 10-12 strategically chosen regular season games, I think the odds of him making it through a long playoff run are materially improved.

Now, my guess is that Lindy, with an eye to maintaining team focus on playing hard and winning every game, will disregard my suggestion. He probably won't sit Teppo unless and until Teppo is actually hurt. So we probably will have to hope for the best.

It's just that having seen him wear down last year to the point where he couldn't play for much of the playoffs -- which left a big hole on the D -- I'm pretty concerned about the same thing happening again and hurting our chances at the big trophy. That doesn't mean I want to bench Teppo. I just want to plan ahead and let Paetsch play now and again to reduce wear and tear on Teppo. There will probably be enough of the random injuries like Kalinin/Tallinder/McKee/Connolly suffered last year in the playoffs to deal with again this year -- I'd hate to see us have to swallow losing Teppo again b/c of groin/ankle/other when it could have been prevented.

You forget 2 very important things that make this year much different than last year for Teppo.

1. He is not playing for Team Finland in the Olympics. He played a lot of games in not a lot of days last year, all the way up to the Gold Medal game.

2. He came off that Olympic schedule into a very difficult March schedule. March is still busy this year, but there are more nights off than last year.

Just one other thing to keep in mind, the Olympics wore out a lot of players who were a lot younger than Teppo last year.

Now, my guess is that Lindy, with an eye to maintaining team focus on playing hard and winning every game, will disregard my suggestion. He probably won't sit Teppo unless and until Teppo is actually hurt. So we probably will have to hope for the best.

There ya go. If Lindy didn't sit him after he tweaked his groin against Philly and missed practice, he probably never will. That's probably the way it should be in professional sports. If they really thought they needed to give Teppo 15-20 games off, they shouldn't have re-signed him. Do or do not, there is no try, or something, dude, said J.P. Losman.

You forget 2 very important things that make this year much different than last year for Teppo.

1. He is not playing for Team Finland in the Olympics. He played a lot of games in not a lot of days last year, all the way up to the Gold Medal game.

2. He came off that Olympic schedule into a very difficult March schedule. March is still busy this year, but there are more nights off than last year.

Just one other thing to keep in mind, the Olympics wore out a lot of players who were a lot younger than Teppo last year.

Very good points. We need to stop ragging on Teppo. (Now if only DeLuca could stop ragging on Andrew Peters <_< ).

Since you have a tendency to make some keen observations, it's no wonder you have an apt username.

Archived