Getting Rid of Miroslav Satan ...

PTS

Miroslav Satan is a guy that averaged 30+ goals in a clutch and grab NHL. If we get rid of him now with the more wide open game and in a shootout world, we would be making a big mistake.

I don't know why certain fans in Buffalo dislike him, he had one bad inconsistant season but he was still one of our best. I wonder how much they'll miss him when get goes somewhere else and scores 50.

Keep Satan, we need him.

I agree fully. Satan is the centerpiece on the scoring line. He has consistently scored in the 40 goal range in lindy ruff's defensive system. I can't wait to see what he can do without the clutching and grabbing, with drury feeding him the puck.

I haven't seen anyone mention that the value of shooters are waaaay up because of the new OT rules. This by definition should encourage more open play as teams will be dumping the goons in favors of better scorers to help them in tie games.

Miroslav Satan is a guy that averaged 30+ goals in a clutch and grab NHL. If we get rid of him now with the more wide open game and in a shootout world, we would be making a big mistake.

I don't know why certain fans in Buffalo dislike him, he had one bad inconsistant season but he was still one of our best. I wonder how much they'll miss him when get goes somewhere else and scores 50.

Keep Satan, we need him.

I'm not sure whether or not this is an accurate assessment of Miro, but I think of him as a great player in February and March. He seems to go AWOL in April/May when it really matters. Conversely, guys like Peca seem to take it to another level come playoff time.

And of course NHL player is defined by Webster's means AWOL in the latter half of the calandar year...

I think we keep him, but he is not a centerpiece due his inconsistancy.

Keep Satan, we need him.

I agree. Some people just prefer to see a hitter as opposed to a scorer maybe? Either way, it doesn't make sense, then again, he's my favorite player so i'm biased. :)

I agree. Some people just prefer to see a hitter as opposed to a scorer maybe? Either way, it doesn't make sense, then again, he's my favorite player so i'm biased. :)

At least for me it's not a hitter verses scorer argument. It's a scorer in the playoffs I would like to see. Satan is not that. Compare him with Peca-

In the playoffs, from 1996-2000, Peca played in 49 games. Satan? 38 games. He missed 11 playoff games! Peca scored 8 goals and 13 assists or 21 total points in the playoffs in those years. Satan had 11 goals and 11 assists for 22 total points.

There isn't much difference in their production in the playoffs, and doesn't take into account the fact that Peca was playing against other teams top lines. How many players have disappeared due to Satan's play? One. His name is Satan.

I'm not sure whether or not this is an accurate assessment of Miro, but I think of him as a great player in February and March.  He seems to go AWOL in April/May when it really matters.  Conversely, guys like Peca seem to take it to another level come playoff time.

And of course NHL player is defined by Webster's means AWOL in the latter half of the calandar year... 

I think we keep him, but he is not a centerpiece due his inconsistancy.

To be perfectly honest, I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Exactly what playoffs are you talking about? Satan scored some big goals in the 1999 playoffs UNTIL Zhitnik destroyed his ankle with a slap shot. We've only been back once since then, so how someone can say he's not a playoff performer makes no sense.

Did the Sabres make the playoffs since 2001? Maybe I was in a coma.

I don't know if all the clutching and grabbing are going to stop since we've heard this before. If they can convince Miro to sign a one year contract and see how the "new" NHL plays out, I'd do it. If Miro is looking for a multi-year deal, I'd let him walk.

To be perfectly honest, I think you have no idea what you are talking about.

Exactly what playoffs are you talking about? Satan scored some big goals in the 1999 playoffs UNTIL Zhitnik destroyed his ankle with a slap shot. We've only been back once since then, so how someone can say he's not a playoff performer makes no sense.

Did the Sabres make the playoffs since 2001? Maybe I was in a coma.

To pull from another board, MS=RJ... :D

Well, not really, but it does seem like he gets hurt at exactly the wrong time, or, he has one of his scoring famines come April. He is way too streaky...

I dont understand how Regier thinks trading Satan is a possibility.

First of all: There is going to be so much bought-out talent freely available such that other teams would not need to compensate another club.

Second: If they traded for Satan, his old contract (minus 24%) is still valid. This is likely to cost more money than simply negotiating a new contract with an UFA under the new structure.

What am I missing?

Is it me or it always seemed, at least over the lat few years, that either Miro has been rumored to be traded or wanted out.

If he wants huge $, let him walk.

But having said that, I hope the Sabres at least make some moves if they do lose Miro.

Keep Satan, we need him.

Good post. Satan has been a very good player for the Sabres. But if you looked at their roster, they have a lot of good forwards who can score. Off the top of my head: Drury. Afinogenov. Kotalik. Dumont. Briere. Roy. Hecht.

There is a lot of balance up front. And don't forget you have some good prospects who could be NHL ready including your top prospect Thomas Vanek, who lit up the AHL last year. Clarke McArthur was a good pick too. So was that center who played for Team USA on the WJC. Played for a good college with Travis Zajac. I just can't remember the name. But he's good. They drafted him first round last year. Now I remember! Drew Stafford.

So, if you look at the talent up front and what's on tap, the Sabres are loaded. What they need is a #1 defenseman who can anchor the blueline. What if they had enough room underneath the cap to go after Niedermayer? I think it would make perfect sense. You got a couple of decent blueliners like Kalinin and McKee. But no big gun. Campbell is a good skater but still hasn't become the player he can be.

I mean they're probably not going to sign Niedermayer. Just a suggestion. But with their depth up front, what about trying to trade Satan for a defenseman? That might be a good move.

Your goalie depth is rock solid. It's just about settling on a #1. Until proven otherwise, Biron is #1 with Noronen and Miller battling for the backup job. Eventually, they need to decide what to do here and trade one.

Archived