XM/Sirius

chileanseabass

I have XM. I believe NHL is going exclusivly XM in the coming years. XM 204 has shows all day (they repeat the morning show right after it finishes, but the rest of the day is new). Lots of random hockey people call in for interviews and news all day.

I have Sirius and will admit XM is better for just hockey. Sirius is currently carrying a home and away feed for every game this year, but this is their last season before XM has exclusive rights.

I have Sirius also and I wouldn't bet on XM being around in a few years. I've heard that XM sales are in the toilet and there's real reason to worry about XM's future. There's also been talk about Sirius buying out MX? Who knows??

Jeff

yeah right now the nhl stuff is the ONLY negative about owning a sirius, which i do. i love the service and i hope the rumors of xm's demise are true.

although i sort of worry that if xm goes down the crapper they will jack the price up...man i wish i would have sprung for the lifetime subscription when i bought it.

I have Sirius but for next year I'm going to get XM as well just for the hockey. Unfortunately, you can't get all your eggs into one basket as if you also want NFL then you need both. Starting next year, XM has exclusive NHL rights for a really long time.

As for the prospects of XM, they are having some problems but nothing that I don't think will work themselves out in the future (i.e. firing/replacing some top management). Currently, the have a higher total number of subscribers but Sirius' new subscriber rate is much higher than XM and appears to be catching up fast since XM is languishing with their management troubles. Cut, both will remain around for the foreseeable future.

One thing I noticed when scouting and comparing NHL broadcasts (at lesat last year I haven't checked this year) is that XM seems to allocate on like 4 channels to NHL games and that's it. Does anyone know if they broadcast more than that? It was my opinion, that Sirius seemed to braodcast more games on a given night than they did. It would seem to me that if they were the exclusive NHL provider, then they would boradcast as many as they could.

XM has 6 channels. 204 is the main channel, but games broadcast on 204, 205, 206, 207, 208, and 209. They do not air all games as of right now.

I didn't know you can't get every game on XM. That kinda sucks. Sirius has a Sabres feed for each game, so I'm guarenteed RJ for every broadcast - for only this year though. One thing I'd like for them to do is start streaming games online like they do with the music channels. Does XM have sports and talk streamed yet?

Personally I prefer XM and I highly doubt its going anywhere. Second I am a pest and despise Hoo Hoo tellem robin.... Howie Stern.

I second this don't listen to Mr. I invented everything Stern that XM is going under. They still have the lead in Tech and the lead in quality. I hear that the little doggie company can't even provide clear reception for the most part.

I too am a PEST.

I love my XM -- for the most part. I even love listening to all of the hockey talk programs. When they started doing Home Ice on XM 204, I already thought I knew everything about hockey. Wrong answer. When those talk shows came on the air, they showed me just how ignorant I was about everything that goes on not only in a hockey game, but all the "behind the scenes" stuff as well.

As far as the possible demise of XM is concerned, I hope and pray that it doesn't happen. Sirius has one channel that they offer which goes against every fibre of my being -- besides Howard Stern -- and that's why I won't subscribe to them. (Perhaps if they bring in a la carte programming, then I might consider it.) Having said all that, I find that Hockey This Morning is one of the best hockey talk programs out there. The duo of Scott Laughlin and Cam Stewart is about a polar opposite as you can get, and that's what makes their show exciting -- which is why you see my quotation from Cam in my sig block. (Besides, they occasionally air some of RJ's radio calls on their Two Minute Minor segment.) Oh, BTW. Listen to Ron Rimer when you can. He presents hockey in a highly engaging format -- which is never boring.

I haven't heard how good Sirius' coverage of the NHL is, but I certainly don't want to trade in my XM for theirs.

Archived