Sabres-Penguins Game Thread

PASabreFan

Some very random observations after one...

1. Doug Allen got one of those makeovers, I think. Dude looks like he's about 25. Great voice. I hope MSG plans on showing the anthems this season. A lot of fun.

2. Without advertising on the boards and without a running clock, or even score, on the screen for most of the period, the game on TV had a throwback look to it, and I have to admit, old coot that I am, I liked it.

3. The Sabres' unis look really dark on TV. Maybe it's my TV, which is 16 years old. :)

4. Derek Roy hasn't lost a step. He was driving the Pens nuts for most of the period, drawing a penalty away from the play.

5. I liked seeing Thomas Vanek on the penalty kill. A sure fire way for Lindy Ruff to instill some good old hockey work ethic in him and teach him a little about defensive responsibility. And you know that guy's going to get his share of SHG.

6. Spacek took a nice low shot on the PP. Quick release.

7. We looked a little flat early on. I guess it's this team's MO.

Anybody out there?

got an update for the rest of the game, PA?

by the way, doug allen is great. I've always admired his point. he flashes that index finger with gusto! I believe the point of doug allen trumps the frilly tuxedo worn by henry pendleton of yesteryear.

My only update, besides kudos to the Sabres on a very shaky win, is that it sounded like there was a munchkin somewhere in the building tonight. His or her or its weird voice was picked up by a microphone every time the fans did a "Let's go Buffalo" chant. Kinda creeped me out.

Hey, now, Corp don't be knocking Henry Pendleton. Sort of an acquired taste, but he's good. I've always had this weird fascination with anthem singers. I've written the Mountie who sings in Ottawa 34 letters and got only a "cease and desist" order in return. Bastard. You think I'm bad? Ask fushetti about Keisha Adamczyk.

3. The Sabres' unis look really dark on TV. Maybe it's my TV, which is 16 years old. :)

Anybody out there?

Oddly enough, being at the game tonight, the new uniforms looked almost black from the 200 level seats BUT if you watched replays on the scoreboard, the jerseys looked a couple of shades lighter and definitely blue. I try to make sense of this because for all the years I watched the Sabres in their royal blue road uniforms on TV, they looked black.

As for the game, the Sabres did look flat for all but a few shifts in the first and third periods. However, it was still a preseason game. I will say that it is a hallmark of a good team that they can play poorly and still manage to win. That was certainly the case tonight...

-Ed ;)

My only update, besides kudos to the Sabres on a very shaky win, is that it sounded like there was a munchkin somewhere in the building tonight. His or her or its weird voice was picked up by a microphone every time the fans did a "Let's go Buffalo" chant. Kinda creeped me out.
I totally heard that too.............thought i was losing my mind!!!!

I was very pleased to see Dmitri Kalinin stand up for himself. Now, while he didn't win the fight, he got a few good punches in on that weasel Ruutu and bloodied his big fat mouth, so I'm satisfied with the results.

Lorentz made a good point about a few players (Roy and Vanek) perhaps trying to be a little too fancy and thus not getting any chances out of it. Drury's goal was a direct result of just firing it at the net and seeing what happens, and Mair's was as ugly as it comes but it crossed the goal line. Pretty plays are cool when they work, but sometimes you just have to let it rip.

1. Doug Allen got one of those makeovers, I think. Dude looks like he's about 25. Great voice. I hope MSG plans on showing the anthems this season. A lot of fun.

2. Without advertising on the boards and without a running clock, or even score, on the screen for most of the period, the game on TV had a throwback look to it, and I have to admit, old coot that I am, I liked it.

4. Derek Roy hasn't lost a step. He was driving the Pens nuts for most of the period, drawing a penalty away from the play.

5. I liked seeing Thomas Vanek on the penalty kill. A sure fire way for Lindy Ruff to instill some good old hockey work ethic in him and teach him a little about defensive responsibility. And you know that guy's going to get his share of SHG.

6. Spacek took a nice low shot on the PP. Quick release.

7. We looked a little flat early on. I guess it's this team's MO.

Anybody out there?

Did you get the game on CI? Doesn't look like it's kicked in yet for me.

Two things, I really thought we looked like the San Diego Chargers, which isn't bad.

Vanek is much bigger than I thought he was. And he made a good play on that penalty kill and almost got a scoring chance on it, as I remember.

I was at the game and did not tape it. A couple of observations...

-Kotalik was brutal.

-Thorburn was trying WAY to hard. I would have liked to see more of him from an offensive standpoint. Instead he was looking for the physical play even when it was not there. I think Paille is going to end up with the last forward spot.

-Max was typical Max. One minute dazzling, the next, out stickhandling himself.

-Miller was solid.

-Spacek is very smooth with the puck. That being said, I don't like the Spacek/Campbell pairing.

- One major parking note...Last night you could not park in the Arena ramp(I don't normally park there) unless you have a pass(club seat holders??). I have heard that this is the way it will be all year long.

Archived