"GAME" THREAD

Corp000085

1 period late on this thread... apparently the sabres were 1 period late showing up to the arena too. its 4-0 sharks. noronen has already been pulled, however biron is pulling a shutout so far. Not much to report except the sabres are caught up at the border... they should be at the arena within the hour to start competing.

Obviously, this will not go down in Sabres history as a good game, and equally obviously, Noronen needed more conditioning before starting tonight. It's ok, if that's where it ends; a loss is a loss, and it's an 82 game season. But the Sabres sometimes fold for a while after a bad beating, and that's what I really worry about.

Yeah, not many blue seats for you to talk to tonight.

Too bad the Sabres decided not to show up for the biggest non-Leafs crowd of the season.

My point exactly.

A tough loss. Hockey wise it's not to bad. For Business? It might have been better to lose last night and win tonight.

What a waste of a good crowd. Hopefully they are hammering the $7.50 beers.

im pretty sure its 5-0 Sanjose final right? Well im not sure what happend here. did goaltending take a night off or was it the team... ah well im not too upset... only at the wasted crowd... in reality we had a hell of a run and if we win the next game were back at it... the worst would be to lose 3 in a row now

I went to the game tonight. 1st observation, I can't recall the last time I saw so many people picking up tickets at will call and walking up buying tickets. That was a mad house. Heading up the escalator to 300's, saw Golisano hanging out on the suites balcony checking out the crowd. Hopefully the "newbies" won't be too turned off by tonight's debacle, but the Sabres HAVE to put forth a better effort next time they have a home sellout / near sellout or they WILL lose the newbies (for a couple of weeks at least).

That said, as other posters mentioned in some other threads, tonight's game had trouble written all over it. SJ was desperate for a W, was rested, and had to have a massive adrenalin surge with it being Thornton's 1st game in teal. When Thornton ripped one off the post about 30 seconds in with Mika barely reacting to it, the guy sitting next to me just said "oh, that's not a good sign". He was right. The Sharks were firing on ALL cylinders in the 1st. They played the 1st period with Thornton the way the Sabres played their 1st game with LaFontaine - just simply dominating. The Sabres D did not help Mika out at all and only provided Marty a slight bit more assistance. Mika maybe should have stopped the 1st shot, but had absolutely no chance whatsoever on the next 2. I don't think Lindy pulled Mika due to bad play on his part, he did it to TRY to get the team to wake up. It worked to a degree, as the team was only outplayed after Marty was put in and only lost 1-0 with Marty in there. After Mika was pulled, I thought Rory and Zeppo played decent, but none of the 6 played even remotely adequately when Mika was in (and the same can be said of the forwards).

I expect the team to put forth a much better effort in Colorado. I am not worried about a collapse by the team, I expect them to put it behind them like the 2 debacles in Ottawa. I'm expecting a split of the next 4 games, but the Sabres have some very winnable games following the "western swing". They should be able to stay on pace to get a playoff spot.

I went to the game tonight. 1st observation, I can't recall the last time I saw so many people picking up tickets at will call and walking up buying tickets. That was a mad house. Heading up the escalator to 300's, saw Golisano hanging out on the suites balcony checking out the crowd. Hopefully the "newbies" won't be too turned off by tonight's debacle, but the Sabres HAVE to put forth a better effort next time they have a home sellout / near sellout or they WILL lose the newbies (for a couple of weeks at least).

That said, as other posters mentioned in some other threads, tonight's game had trouble written all over it. SJ was desperate for a W, was rested, and had to have a massive adrenalin surge with it being Thornton's 1st game in teal. When Thornton ripped one off the post about 30 seconds in with Mika barely reacting to it, the guy sitting next to me just said "oh, that's not a good sign". He was right. The Sharks were firing on ALL cylinders in the 1st. They played the 1st period with Thornton the way the Sabres played their 1st game with LaFontaine - just simply dominating. The Sabres D did not help Mika out at all and only provided Marty a slight bit more assistance. Mika maybe should have stopped the 1st shot, but had absolutely no chance whatsoever on the next 2. I don't think Lindy pulled Mika due to bad play on his part, he did it to TRY to get the team to wake up. It worked to a degree, as the team was only outplayed after Marty was put in and only lost 1-0 with Marty in there. After Mika was pulled, I thought Rory and Zeppo played decent, but none of the 6 played even remotely adequately when Mika was in (and the same can be said of the forwards).

I expect the team to put forth a much better effort in Colorado. I am not worried about a collapse by the team, I expect them to put it behind them like the 2 debacles in Ottawa. I'm expecting a split of the next 4 games, but the Sabres have some very winnable games following the "western swing". They should be able to stay on pace to get a playoff spot.

A positive to be taken from last nights game? Maybe this will keep the players level headed. Knock them down a peg so they remember what happens when they don't skate. Any time you lose is not good. But when you can take something away from it sometimes it could be a good thing on some level.

Im not concerned at all about the loss last night.

3rd game in 4 nights....Noronen's 1st game back from injury..

You knew the Sharks would be ready to fire on all cylinders after landing Joe Thornton.

Plus the loss is to a Western Conference team.

Would have rather lost Thursday night and win Friday night for business? Give Montreal, our big rival, a big win and beat a team in San Jose that no Sabres fan really cares about???

:huh:

Im not concerned at all about the loss last night.

3rd game in 4 nights....Noronen's 1st game back from injury..

You knew the Sharks would be ready to fire on all cylinders after landing Joe Thornton.

Plus the loss is to a Western Conference team.

Would have rather lost Thursday night and win Friday night for business? Give Montreal, our big rival, a big win and beat a team in San Jose that no Sabres fan really cares about???

:huh:

Like I said. Hockey wise it worked out OK. But 18,000 or so fans walked away from a 5-0 drubbing. From a business stand point. You would have rather have 18,000 customers leave happy so hopefully those who attened for the first time this year will buy tickets later in the year.

I agree about the whole Montreal thing. This is a time were the hockey side and business side seem to conflict.

Just one observation regarding last nights game and then I am moving on. Yes the Sabres were playing their third game in 4 nights, BUT, they are the hottest team in the NHL over the last couple of weeks, playing a team that hadn't won in 10 games. They are at home in front of a big Friday night crowd and yet got blanked 5-0. When you look at all things considered, this wasn't the game I expected the Sabres to get dominated. A close loss would have been much easier to stomach.

I do have one question though...Was Kalinin benched again? In a game where the defense was very suspect early on, I would think that Kalinin could have helped.

Just one observation regarding last nights game and then I am moving on. Yes the Sabres were playing their third game in 4 nights, BUT, they are the hottest team in the NHL over the last couple of weeks, playing a team that hadn't won in 10 games. They are at home in front of a big Friday night crowd and yet got blanked 5-0. When you look at all things considered, this wasn't the game I expected the Sabres to get dominated. A close loss would have been much easier to stomach.

I do have one question though...Was Kalinin benched again? In a game where the defense was very suspect early on, I would think that Kalinin could have helped.

I thought I heard Rick and Jim say that Kalinin was injured, but I could be wrong.

So here's my thoughts on the game (I'm repeating some things that others have said)...I'm not worried because:

1. That was their 5th game in 8 days, 3rd in 4 nights, 2nd in 2 nights.

2. They looked exausted out there. While most of the team are young, and they are all pro athletes and should be in great shape, at this level even a little fatigue can translate to a big difference on the ice since San Jose was well rested.

3. San Jose was fired up about the Thorton deal.

4. It was only one game.

Now, here's why I am worried:

1. They lost in front of a big crowd at home. Hopefully everyone there was smart enough to realize it was just one game.

2. According to Rick and Jim they had to get on a plane this morning at 10 to fly out to Denver, so it's not like they are really getting to rest all that much.

3. The team has been pretty streaky so far this year. They were riding a big winning streak, I hope that one bad loss doesn't turn everything around.

And just one other thought. Does it drive anyone else nuts when you're at the game and the team is on the Powerplay and the crowd is yelling "shoot it" to the guy with the puck, despite the fact there is someone clearly in the shooting lane, and the puck is not going to get anywhere close to the net? I can understand a little more if someone has a wide open shot...but the way people are at the game, I half expect them to yell it when someone has it behind the net! Ha, well now I can't even get away from that when I'm at home, because I could hear them on TV last night!