All the news that's fit to put under the litter box

PASabreFan

This is not 'us vs them', I speak for myself, just as you do. My original post was not to say how much I love the jersey and how much everyone else should, but rather to call out PA on his terribly hypocritical way of presenting his point of view.

Second, I DO respect your right to ridicule/scorn/think of new amazing metaphors and acronyms for the logo, but as long as it happens on what seems to be every thread on this board, I am going to feel free to continue to add my ill conceived sarcastic comments in the same vein. Though I would prefer neither happened because, as you said, it doesnt add any substance to the conversation.

Like I thought i've already made clear, I dont have a problem with people legitimately disliking the logo, nor have I ever made any argument even close to saying people werent supporting the team if they didnt buy the new jersey.

Hsoj, don't take my post personally - it was more of a general post about my growing displeasure with the slug-neutral posters who feel the need to jump into every thread and shout down our complaints. I agree 100% that every legitimate, non-logo thread should not be dragged down to pro-- vs. anti-slug rhetoric, and while I can't speak for Dave and some of the others, I feel conmfortable in stating that most of us won't turn every real hockey/Sabres talk thread into another round of slug complaints and rebuttals. I just hope that once the real games start, and we are discussing the forward lines, injuries, the schedule - anything hockey and Sabres/NHL related - that both "sides" will respect the "Offical Game Threads" and others, lest we start chasing off posters who grow weary of reading the same back-and-forth BS about the logo.

If we, as a board, can keep the logo discussion limited to existing threads, rather than starting new ones every time we hear someone likes or doesn't like the slug, and thereby taking up board space, I think those interested in discussing the logo will find their way in there and those who want to talk hockey won't feel overwhelmed with slugginess (sluggishness?)

I don't think you can control how conversations on here play out. It's common for threads to break off in dramatically different (and weird) directions. That's the fun of it. It's written, but it's like a real spoken conversation. If the topic of the uniform somehow naturally enters into the conversation, I don't see the problem. I don't know of anyone on this board who is going to deliberately hijack threads about other topics, not when you can just start a new thread about the uniform. But if in the middle of a boring first period against the Penguins, somehow mentions how the colors of the two teams look the same... well, there we go.

I don't think you can control how conversations on here play out. It's common for threads to break off in dramatically different (and weird) directions. That's the fun of it. It's written, but it's like a real spoken conversation. If the topic of the uniform somehow naturally enters into the conversation, I don't see the problem. I don't know of anyone on this board who is going to deliberately hijack threads about other topics, not when you can just start a new thread about the uniform. But if in the middle of a boring first period against the Penguins, somehow mentions how the colors of the two teams look the same... well, there we go.

Since last year's usual hijacker hasn't been around for a while now, hopefully that won't be happening anymore. Everyone loves attacking DeLuca, but that idiot went way overboard every day.

Dave, I wasnt necessarily directing my comments towards you, I never said your dislike wasn't legit, as for the most part your posts tend to be well thought out and not tending towards the sensationalist bs.

What exactly do I like about it? I suppose I like its crisp feel, its streamlined, modern nature - most of all I like the colors. I'm not sure what you want more than that, but that is all I can provide - it isnt easy for me to point out exactly what I like about a visual experience - it is what it is and I like it. I'm not sure exactly what purpose this serves, am I supposed to be enlightening the haters on why they should like it? I can understand why some would say it is bad, I would hope you could at least be able to see why some might think it is fine without my direction.

Dave, I wasnt necessarily directing my comments towards you, I never said your dislike wasn't legit, as for the most part your posts tend to be well thought out and not tending towards the sensationalist bs.

What exactly do I like about it? I suppose I like its crisp feel, its streamlined, modern nature - most of all I like the colors. I'm not sure what you want more than that, but that is all I can provide - it isnt easy for me to point out exactly what I like about a visual experience - it is what it is and I like it. I'm not sure exactly what purpose this serves, am I supposed to be enlightening the haters on why they should like it? I can understand why some would say it is bad, I would hope you could at least be able to see why some might think it is fine without my direction.

Did I tell you yet that you are wrong? :angry:

:lol: (relax, I'm joking)

I'm not sure why I picked you out of the line up of people liking the logo to call out. For some reason your posts have resonated above the others, I guess. I could just as easily called out any of the others that like the logo, w/ the exception of Apus who actually tried to get a constructive dialogue going.

What I had hoped to gain from this, or from comments by any of the others that like the abomination which shall not be named, is an opportunity to understand what it is about the logo you actually like and, more importantly, if it represents anything to you. I didn't agree with Clay's take, but at least I knew where he was coming from. Now, after hearing your reasons for liking it, I realize that you and I primarily like and dislike the logo for the same reason. You like the colors with the yellow dominating, I dislike what a yellow buffalo(?) represents to me. That's fine. Your opinion is your opinion. It by definition can't be wrong in a matter such as this. The biggest reason that I am disappointed that the logo is yellow is to me the critter being yellow signifies cowardice. I expect that you and the other people that like the logo will view that as reading too much into it. To me, a brand (which is what the logo is) SHOULD represent something. Both the original logo and the shatanic goathead DID in fact represent something when I look at them. This new logo represents nothing positive IMO.

I have stated that I hope Sabres fans that share your opinion are small in number. I don't back off from that statement, because I do want to see this logo go away. Your implication that you wish those who look at the logo the way I do would change our opinion is fine as well. But I do take issue with your comments that those of us that don't like the logo arrived at this opinion prematurely. While I can't speak for others here, not only do I not like how the new logo looks, I don't like what it represents. I won't be so bold as to accuse that you and the others that do like the new logo do so prematurely. You like what you like. You appear to believe that the new logo doesn't represent anything. It appears that the people designing it took the same view. That the designers of the logo did not consider what it represents and what it should represent is very sad.

Believe it or not, I do actually wish that I did like this abomination. (At least as long as they are wearing it.) As long as it represents to me what it does, I just don't see it happening anytime soon. And I hope we get a new logo much sooner than later.

Did I tell you yet that you are wrong? :angry:

:lol: (relax, I'm joking)

:lol:

that is how it turned out, and its easy to say it was all planned now, but that explanation depends fully on the fact that the organization expected such a publich backlash towards the logo, and I dont believe in a million years they would have decided upon a logo they fully expected to be as divisive as it was.

In short, I think this discussion boils down to the adage:

Never ascribe to conspiracy what simple incompetence will cover.

It's true for governments and it's probably true in this situation. I'm with you, Hsoj, and would be inclined to believe this is more serendipitous incompetence more than brilliantly-conceived 'guerilla' marketting. PA is blowing smoke, because he doesn't like the logo. Whatever.

Ta,

Conspiracy is a pretty strong word. I wouldn't use it. I'm just convinced the Sabres leaked the slug to make sure any opposition to it would burn out before the official release of the jersey and to maximize "buzz" during the normally quiet offseason. Smart. I don't know what else to make of LQ's use of the term "guerilla marketing."

What brings you down to the bottoms, Tom? Quiet night up on Blog Mountain?

I'm just convinced the Sabres leaked the slug to make sure any opposition to it would burn out before the official release of the jersey and to maximize "buzz" during the normally quiet offseason. Smart. I don't know what else to make of LQ's use of the term "guerilla marketing."

Half of that I could see being the case, the other half not so much. Leaking it out early to try to burn out the opposition is feasible. But if they wanted more buzz during the offseason, they would have just released it during the summer like the Ducks.

Playing devil's advocate here, let's assume for one minute that Rbk and the NHL were the driving force behind this new logo, while LQ doesn't like the logo at all. Let's say he hates it, he's against it completely, but the league is telling him tough crap, this is the design, you're going forward with it.

What better way to (indirectly) rally the fan base against the logo by a series of "leaks" that get the natives all riled up, and then announcing that the team will be using the vintage jersey program for the max number of games allowed (I don't think they had to petition the league for this, they could just say "we're using vintage jerseys for 15 games this year," IIRC.)

Follow that by moving the unveiling date up, thereby assuring they won't have nearly enough product to sell, and then delaying the available merchandise long enough for the original logo stuff to hit the stores. Then he can say "I told you so" to the league and Rbk when sales of the new logo stuff suffer, the Sabres get permission to tweak the logo; the modified logo and successive merchandise sell better, and everyone walks away (somewhat) happy...

Personally I don't that scenario is very plausible, but I am trying to come up with a fresh take on the logo quarrel other than "Larry sold us out and hates the fans," which I have always struggled with since he has been a fan of the franchise since he was a little boy and even (awkwardly) donned the original B&G when he jumped into that old-timers' game...

With LQ being a politician, I could see that kind of deviousness at play here...a guy can dream, I guess...

Half of that I could see being the case, the other half not so much. Leaking it out early to try to burn out the opposition is feasible. But if they wanted more buzz during the offseason, they would have just released it during the summer like the Ducks.

How much buzz would a June or July release have generated? Once the uniform was released, IMHO, the buzz would have died down quickly. Remember, in marketing, you sell the sizzle and not the steak. What the Sabres managed to do was keep this buzz machine humming for weeks on end, not only online, but in the mainstream media as well. Publicity like that you can't buy -- "guerilla marketing." I believe ticket sales were helped by the fact that the Sabres were in everyone's stream of consciousness. And it was all predicated on the "leak" of the logo. An accident? I don't think so.

How much buzz would a June or July release have generated? Once the uniform was released, IMHO, the buzz would have died down quickly. Remember, in marketing, you sell the sizzle and not the steak. What the Sabres managed to do was keep this buzz machine humming for weeks on end, not only online, but in the mainstream media as well. Publicity like that you can't buy -- "guerilla marketing." I believe ticket sales were helped by the fact that the Sabres were in everyone's stream of consciousness. And it was all predicated on the "leak" of the logo. An accident? I don't think so.

Call me crazy, but I am willing to bet most people bought their tickets based on last season's performance and this season's expectations, not because of what the team is wearing.

Archived