Hey Larry!!!! THIS is how it is done!!!

SDS

I'm not sure that the answer was to have a more involved process, like a university would have. (By the way, can you imagine the schmozzle that designing a logo for a university must be? Once the academics get their hands on it, look out!) I'm sure the process the Sabres used was quite involved. The problem was that fans were never involved in that process. The one question I wish someone in the media would have the balls to ask would be why is it that fans weren't involved. And the other would be -- what does this logo say about the team, what values does it represent? The answers would be very enlightening. To the second question, there would certainly be NO answer, because it represents NOTHING.

I'm not sure that the answer was to have a more involved process, like a university would have. (By the way, can you imagine the schmozzle that designing a logo for a university must be? Once the academics get their hands on it, look out!) I'm sure the process the Sabres used was quite involved. The problem was that fans were never involved in that process. The one question I wish someone in the media would have the balls to ask would be why is it that fans weren't involved. And the other would be -- what does this logo say about the team, what values does it represent? The answers would be very enlightening. To the second question, there would certainly be NO answer, because it represents NOTHING.

It just seems like a bottom's up approach that guarantees that a horrible, horrble mistake is not made due to the bad taste of a few clueless people. Imagine the excitement this summer if there were 50 designs on the table and we got to comment on them?

It just seems like a bottom's up approach that guarantees that a horrible, horrble mistake is not made due to the bad taste of a few clueless people. Imagine the excitement this summer if there were 50 designs on the table and we got to comment on them?

But if Quinny involved the public, he wouldn't be able to take ALL the credit for the redesign. :P

Heck, even if they weren't planning on using much of the fan input it would as you say prevent a horrible mistake. The design might still have been bad or average, but it would not have been as horrible as this one turned out.

Although Mike D'ohopp would argue vehemently against your point that the Sabres SHOULD have involved the fans, I think you are dead nuts on on that call. The Sabres even solicited token fan input back when they were designing the Shatanic Goathead. After the players were locked out, the Sabres had an open house for STH's. In the "demo box" that they made in the corner near where the players come out, they had probably 50 designs that they were considering at the time and solicited comments from the STH's. Although none were similar to the Goathead, IIRC there were a few that had different color schemes other than B&G orB&G w/ silver highlights. Unfortunately, none of the pictures I took that day turned out (darn film cameras).

So if a pair of megalomaniacs like Doug Moss and Jennifer Smith could at least pretend to involve the fans in the process, couldn't Larry Quinn have done that as well? I see no reason why he couldn't and believe very strongly that he should have involved fans in the process. He wouldn't have to necessarily follow the suggestions. I actually still think the Sabres and Reebok would have come up with some "ultramodern" sleek logo (that I probably would have still not been thrilled with), but they would not have come up w/ a yellow thing. In my worst case scenarios, I NEVER thought for one second that they would come up with something this bad.

Fond UofR roadtrip memories....running patterns on the football field in a drunken haze at 3AM.

Does anyone really blame the first logo switch on Jennifer Smith? I would sell out for her any day. "Oh honey, that is a great design...can you pick up the pencil from under my chair?"

Fond UofR roadtrip memories....running patterns on the football field in a drunken haze at 3AM.

Does anyone really blame the first logo switch on Jennifer Smith? I would sell out for her any day. "Oh honey, that is a great design...can you pick up the pencil from under my chair?"

was she pretty hot?

was she pretty hot?

I think so. She is Jessica Simpson like in features, but a little shorter. Granted this was 10 years ago. I tried searching the web for pictures when this logo debacle first went down, but came up empty. It looks like she might be doing PR for some Green Bay Packers alum. You may remember her from a corny NHL weekly show in the mold of the NBA with Ahmad Rashad.

So they pretended to include the fans on the goat-head, did that stop any of the bitching or complaining?

It was probably unfair of me to say they "pretended" to care about the fan input. They did seem to listen to the fans a bit on the new logo (it was white, it retained the red eye, and they went with the "B" for the shoulder patch rather than any of several "S" designs they had. (They had many more "S" designs than "B" designs.) Where they didn't fully listen to the fan is when someone said the blue uni could stand some tweaking (or the white one for that matter) but the other uni was great the way it is, they chalked it up as both unis needed to be fully revamped. Considering they really did want to have something totally new for the new arena, and it did in some ways make sense to revamp even the colors (heck, the team hadn't been to the 2nd round in over a decade at the time, they were in the midst of a period where there wasn't much "Tradition to Celebrate"), I think I was overly harsh in my "pretended" comment.

It would appear that it did cut back on the complaining, since they didn't have nearly the backlash with that unveiling. And TTBOMK, they also didn't have darn near every beat writer covering the league starting off their coverage of a Sabres game with jokes about how horrible the uni was. I've seen music videos (well, I know I've seen at least one) with people not from Buffalo wearing the Sabres sweater and the Sabres sweaters are a popular choice for youth teams outside WNY as well. I really doubt either will be true with the new duds.

The things that puzzle me are: it has been said they went through 80 possible designs and the Golden Sluggalo won out. How ugly were the other 79?

It has been said that the Golden Sluggalo design underwent 17 revisions. How freakin' ugly did it start out?

It has been said that they tried to update the old logo, but couldn't make it work. Huh? We've seen many updated old-style logos (Celsius designs, etc.).

At least we know that the team will look sharp 15 times during the season.....

-Ed :rolleyes:

Archived