A question for the CBA guru's out there.

deluca67

I know that Novotny, Thorburn, Ryan, Paetsch, and Jillson would have to clear waivers to be sent down.

Paille, MacArthur, Stafford, and Mancari don't have to clear waivers.

I don't think the Sabres have anyone else that needs to clear waivers to go to Rochester, Berkhoel probably is an exception, but I don't know the status of the rest of the guys in camp.

Because Paille doesn't need to clear waivers, I expect him to start the year in Rochester but then be the 1st callup.

I expect Novotny to make the Sabres. Since it looks like Timmy will start the year on IR, the Sabres will likely keep Thorburn but may go with Ryan instead as the 12th forward. I have Peters pencilled in as the 13th forward. Regier is on record as saying the Sabres will keep a 22 man roster (1 spare F, 1 spare D) and not go with 23.

Paetsch is my choice for #7 D, but it is possible that Jillson could beat him out. Doubtful, but possible.

Hopefully, the Sabres can sneak Ryan / Thorburn and Jillson back down. I expect they will be able to at the initial waiver, but that is definitely not a given for the forward that gets sent down.

If when Timmy is healthy, if the team as a whole is healthy the Sabres may have to move someone because as DeLuca said, I think teams will be looking closely at the Sabres waiver wire. I don't know that Thorburn or Ryan (whichever is the 12th forward prior to Timmy coming back) would clear waivers and the Sabres will be too tight to the cap to keep 23 players.

Paille, MacArthur, Stafford, and Mancari don't have to clear waivers.

Most people probably realize this already, but another important name to add to that list is Zagrapan.

If when Timmy is healthy, if the team as a whole is healthy the Sabres may have to move someone because as DeLuca said, I think teams will be looking closely at the Sabres waiver wire. I don't know that Thorburn or Ryan (whichever is the 12th forward prior to Timmy coming back) would clear waivers and the Sabres will be too tight to the cap to keep 23 players.

I find it hard to believe that teams would pass on a guy like Pominville last year, but then turn around and claim Thorburn or Ryan this year. Pominville was coming off a 68 point season (78 games) in the AHL and a 64 point season 66 games) the year before. Thorburn had a decent year last year, but nowhere near that. Ryan has never done much of anything at that level. To claim these guys, the team would have to make room at the NHL level. I would guess that most teams are going to be far more likely to go with someone already in their system and comfortable with that team.

For the sake of discussion, I think its a safe bet that Thorburn is more likely to be claimed than Ryan would be.

I'm puzzled by the sudden Mike Ryan hype coming from the Sabres organization. I follow training camp fairly closely and I don't ever remember his name being mentioned in a positive way in past years and all of a sudden he is in the running for the last forward spot. I don't believe he has ever been called up for a 1 game look with the Sabres, despite the fact that he is 26 years old and was passed over in favor of Paille, Novotny, Thorburn, etc... last year. From what I can tell, his claim to fame is that he can't stay healthy during his Amerks career.

Great if he can come in and fill a roster spot, but puzzling none the less.

Most people probably realize this already, but another important name to add to that list is Zagrapan.

I find it hard to believe that teams would pass on a guy like Pominville last year, but then turn around and claim Thorburn or Ryan this year. Pominville was coming off a 68 point season (78 games) in the AHL and a 64 point season 66 games) the year before. Thorburn had a decent year last year, but nowhere near that. Ryan has never done much of anything at that level. To claim these guys, the team would have to make room at the NHL level. I would guess that most teams are going to be far more likely to go with someone already in their system and comfortable with that team.

For the sake of discussion, I think its a safe bet that Thorburn is more likely to be claimed than Ryan would be.

As I stated above, I think the Sabres will be able to get Ryan or Thorburn to Ra-cha-cha without being claimed if they do it before the season starts. It becomes a dicier proposition after they've played 15-20 games which is my WAG for how many games Timmy will miss.

I agree with your comments that most (and hopefully all) teams wouldn't want to grab a guy that has little to no NHL experience prior to the season starting when they have prospects of their own that they have invested time and money in.

But, after they've had a chance to see them play at the NHL level, it is very possible that a team like Washington or Florida that doesn't have much quality depth on their 4th lines and, it would follow, within their systems (at least not quality today, either or both might have some guys on the farm that will be studs in 2-4 years) would see one of Buffalo's 4th liners as an upgrade to their own 4th liners.

I also agree that at this point in time Thorburn would be more likely to be claimed than Ryan. But that COULD change by mid-November.

But would they even get enough ice time to impress those other teams before Connolly returns. Also, if there's that much of a risk of losing a guy to waivers after 15-20 games, you might be presenting someone with a decent argument to keep a guy like Paille on the opening roster instead. Just like you, I don't expect that to happen, but its an intersting thought.

Oh, and I like that you mentioned Florida. Because of the dual affiliation in Rochester, they should have a better feel for what guys like Thorburn and Ryan bring to the table. I think that could be one of the more likely destinations for these guys if a waiver claim does somehow happen.

But would they even get enough ice time to impress those other teams before Connolly returns. Also, if there's that much of a risk of losing a guy to waivers after 15-20 games, you might be presenting someone with a decent argument to keep a guy like Paille on the opening roster instead. Just like you, I don't expect that to happen, but its an intersting thought.

Oh, and I like that you mentioned Florida. Because of the dual affiliation in Rochester, they should have a better feel for what guys like Thorburn and Ryan bring to the table. I think that could be one of the more likely destinations for these guys if a waiver claim does somehow happen.

Thorburn, Peters, and Mair were the only players from Buffalo's roster to average less than 10 minutes per game. Everyone else got more than 10/game and I would assume that everyone other than Peters will average better than 10/game this season. I think that would be enough time to impress a scout or be written off by one, especially if that scout works for Florida.

Your comment about Paille is a very interesting one. That is a valid argument in favor of keeping Paille on the big squad. But I stand by my reasoning on why Paille will go down initially. Although we don't know for certain what Lindy will do we do appear to be excellent economists - we'll know why the decision was made after the fact. ;)

The whole discussion on who will go down when Timmy's healthy may be moot because the only time the Sabres were fully healthy after some Amerks got called up last season came after the trade deadline when there are no roster limits, just spending limits. Depending on the severity of other injuries and who is injured, the Sabres may have enough cap room to keep the guy who would otherwise have to be sent down.

No one is sure Timmy will even come back. This season or any other. The kid still can't workout.

The Sabres do have a lot of forwards that can play in the NHL. I'm not a Andjuice Peters fan and it would bug me if we lost a prospect to waivers while he holds a roster spot. ;)

No one is sure Timmy will even come back. This season or any other. The kid still can't workout.

The Sabres do have a lot of forwards that can play in the NHL. I'm not a Andjuice Peters fan and it would bug me if we lost a prospect to waivers while he holds a roster spot. ;)

What if his off season work really paid off and he is able to take a regular shift and contribute?

What if his off season work really paid off and he is able to take a regular shift and contribute?

He may be a step faster, but I don't see him on a regular line, he may get more shifts if he dresses.

I think Thornburn, Ryan and Jillson all clear waivers with no problem.

There is no way that Novotny would clear. He would be a bargain 3rd line center for a lot of teams that overpaid for their stars.

He may be a step faster, but I don't see him on a regular line, he may get more shifts if he dresses.

There is no way that Novotny would clear. He would be a bargain 3rd line center for a lot of teams that overpaid for their stars.

I know, wishful thinking. I have just been hearing a lot about how he leaned up in order to contribute more.

Jillson is a very special case at this moment in time. His clearing waivers is a given. But, he isn't signed and he has an offer to play in Europe. He came to camp in what I have been told by some media guys is the best conditioning in his life. If that is true, and the Sabres would like to keep him in the organization, there is a very slim outside chance that he will beat out Paetsch. If my mortgage were riding on it, I'd say Paetsch wins the competition, but if they think Paetsch can clear waivers, they may tell Jillson he's earned a spot on the big club and then bring up Paetsch and send Jillson down once it is beyond obvious that he is a better D-man. That is, if Jillson tells them that if he isn't #6 or #7 he WILL play in Europe. I don't know that the Sabres would be happy with their #7, 8, and 9 D-men being an AHL roookie. I actually think that with Fitzy and Janik gone, Jillson will spend far more time on the big squad than any of us would like. Provided the Sabres can get him to sign a contract.

I know, wishful thinking. I have just been hearing a lot about how he leaned up in order to contribute more.

Juicers who stop the cycle always get smaller.

Anyway.

Has he gained any actual hockey skills. Great he may be faster so when he gets to the puck faster an actual hockey player can take it from him faster.

I hate the idea of losing a player who may actual contribute ,like a Pominville did, for a once a week side show. It's not like Peters fights anyone other the resident goon on the other team.

Don't get me wrong. I can appreciate a good fight between actual hockey players. Schonfeld vs Cashman or Probert vs Domi are classic match ups of players who can play and fight. The Rays and Peters of the world are just a waste of my time.

If you disagree with me just think of this. Where would the Sabres have been if they lost Pominville to waivers just to save a spot for Peters. How traggic would that have been.

Archived