Sabres may have to cap season tickets...

LabattBlue

Do I count as a bean counter? My position from the start has been don't overspend on any individual player (McKee).

I recall that being your position, but doesn't that imply that your position also was that the Sabres shouldn't (or couldn't if they wanted to) overspend as a whole? Did you think it was a good idea for the Sabres to spend close to the cap? Be honest. Not even I wanted that. I remember saying that I would be happy if Golisano ponied up 36 mill. I recall many folks saying that if Golisano spent too much, it would lead to the financial ruin of the team. I'm juss sayin' a lot of those people have gotten very quiet. I don't remember if you said it or not, hopeles. I can't keep you beanies separated in my mind. :)

Great news. Like I said, build it and they will come. Bean-counters have been pretty quiet lately, I've noticed. :)

EVERYBODY's been quiet around here lately. ;)

The thing is, the reality of where the Sabres off-season moves ended up is somewhere between both positions (the don't spend a $ over what revenues will be and the go out and spend $44MM) and I don't think that in reality there were a whole lot of people taking either position to that extreme.

The Sabres for the most part have not overspent on any individual player. They traded Pyatt rather than pay him $1MM+, they walked away from Dumont's large award, and they didn't match McKee's offer. They did "overpay" for Briere, but there doesn't appear to have been a large amount of choice in that matter.

The Sabres also for the most part have not gone outside the organization to bring in additional talent. The ONLY outsider brought in this off season is Spacek.

It looks right now like the Sabres will be putting themselves in a position where they could lose (on paper) ~$2-3MM if they don't get past the 1st round of the playoffs. But if they make it to the SCF's they could make a few $'s. To risk a $2-3MM loss in any particular season isn't a huge gamble (and actually IS fiscally prudent), especially when the dynamics of how / if the fans will fall for this team like they did 30 years ago is thrown into the mix. To risk a high probability of a $10MM loss, would not have been fiscally prudent under any circumstance. Just as not risking any financial loss in this particular season but risking loss in subsequent seasons by showing the fan base that management doesn't care at all whether the team wins or loses would not have been fiscally prudent. (See Chicago for an example of how showing the community that ALL you care about is a $ and not a dream works out.)

I recall that being your position, but doesn't that imply that your position also was that the Sabres shouldn't (or couldn't if they wanted to) overspend as a whole? Did you think it was a good idea for the Sabres to spend close to the cap? Be honest. Not even I wanted that. I remember saying that I would be happy if Golisano ponied up 36 mill. I recall many folks saying that if Golisano spent too much, it would lead to the financial ruin of the team. I'm juss sayin' a lot of those people have gotten very quiet. I don't remember if you said it or not, hopeles. I can't keep you beanies separated in my mind. :)

My position from the start has been if you spend too much on one player, there is less for everyone else, and you keep that player, but lose a lot of depth (see NJ Devils). So far the team has spent more than I expected, but I can't say we are over paying for players. The one exception to this is Briere. I think that was and is still a very difficult decision for management.

I don't recall having a set amount that I wanted the team to spend (someone please correct me if I am wrong). Although I will admit that if the payroll was not where it is now, I would be more understanding than others.

I also will admit that I don't want the team to spend money that it does not have. That is the first step towards the team moving. However, with the way that the long term contracts are structured, the team was able to offer enough money to players to get them to sign long term contracts, while spreading out the financial risk over the next few years when revenue will hopefully continue to grow.

As a side note, if the team had paid $4 million a year to keep McKee around instead of signing Spacek, we would have even less cap space left to re-sign Miller and Kalinin.

I've been trying to get some discussions going, but only PA seems to want to argue with me.

I've been around. Ever since the end of arbitration, Darcy has gone back into hiding, Quinn is still coming up with a damage control plan for the slug and everybody else here must be on vacation.

When does training camp start :)

PS The Sabres had a big win over the Leafs 5-2 last night on MSG. Vanek even got an empty netter. His 3rd goal of the season. I wonder how many he will finish with.

Im believe that most of the boost in season ticket sales can be attributed to our exceeding expectations last season, not that we have spent to the cap in this offseason.

PA says 'build it and they will come', but it has already been built, this offseason is just keeping it together. I think if we would have followed your advice last offseason we would be in a MUCH worse position now. It's all about timing in my view.

Archived