Miller wanting to play for Red Wings?

Chilly

http://www.niagara-gazette.com/sports/loca..._234225956.html

Most of the dirty work is behind him, but Sabres GM Darcy Regier is still hammering out a deal with Ryan Miller, according to Ch. 2.

Miller?s agent, former goaltending great Mike Liut, told the station the two sides are working on short and long-term deals.

Earlier, Regier had said Miller was interested in a short-term deal and some speculated the goalie would eventually like to return to his native Michigan to play for the Detroit Red Wings.

But Liut told Ch. 2 that Miller might be agreeable to a long-term deal in Buffalo.

What the #%^$#!?

Spector's Take

Spector's Note: Hat tip to George Malik's "Snapshots". As Malik points out, this is probably nothing more than a negotiating ploy, but I daresay this'll pop up from time to time on the trade rumour message boards and blogs.

"Some speculated"? What was I just saying about shoddy sports journalism? Who speculated? A caller to a sports talk show? Someone at a bar? A little old lady at Tops? It's useless.

Seriously, this is crap reporting at its finest.

"Some speculated"? What was I just saying about shoddy sports journalism? Who speculated? A caller to a sports talk show? Someone at a bar? A little old lady at Tops? It's useless.

The Niagara-Gazette is just a horrible newspaper period. The reporting is shabby at best and most of it is stuff that was already reported on in the Buffalo News, or taken right from AP/Reuters. I also stopped reading the online edition when they started to require comment posters to register. To me, that is a sketchy thing to do especially since you would think a newspaper would promote the whole freedom of speech thing. Stupid sexy fascists.

If Miller is looking for 3 mil per year, he may be waiting a long time. For those who don't feel Briere is worth 5 mil, how is Miller worth 3 mil? It was not that long ago that he had his major meltdown to the point where you had to wonder about his mental makeup. He is a goalie whose stats put him right around the top 10, but is he a one year wonder? Only time will tell.

If Miller is looking for 3 mil per year, he may be waiting a long time. For those who don't feel Briere is worth 5 mil, how is Miller worth 3 mil? It was not that long ago that he had his major meltdown to the point where you had to wonder about his mental makeup. He is a goalie whose stats put him right around the top 10, but is he a one year wonder? Only time will tell.

Judging by how he bounced back from his bad performance in game 4 of the Philly series compared to how he played after a few less than stellar games in March (which led to a slump), I see him having an even better year next year.

LB, how is he NOT worth 3 million? Look at all the dollars flying around Buffalo this summer. Look at the season ticket totals. And here's the linchpin of the whole operation, the most important and most valuable one of the lot. What choice do the Sabres have? It seems to me that Miller has more leverage than the Sabres. Sure, Biron could start. But come on. Don't stop now. Pony up the dough for this kid. Or he'll start crying again. And no one wants to see a repeat of that.

LB, how is he NOT worth 3 million? Look at all the dollars flying around Buffalo this summer. Look at the season ticket totals. And here's the linchpin of the whole operation, the most important and most valuable one of the lot. What choice do the Sabres have? It seems to me that Miller has more leverage than the Sabres. Sure, Biron could start. But come on. Don't stop now. Pony up the dough for this kid. Or he'll start crying again. And no one wants to see a repeat of that.

The only problem I have with spending $3 million on Miller is that it leaves less room to sign Kalinin.

Is everyone stoned? Is this a Cheech and Chong movie?

I just meant that wanting to engage Eli in a discussion about whether we need Kalinin makes hopeles a glutton for punishment. Unless you, Dave, think it is a reasonable debate to be having. Which would shock me.

I have the munchies now.

Pony up the dough for this kid. Or he'll start crying again. And no one wants to see a repeat of that.

:lol: :lol:

Seriously...after he had that meltdown, I thought his NHL potential was in the dumps. He had an above average season(his first full season in the NHL), but I need to see another season like 2005 and see some improvement in the flaws in his game, before I pony up 3+ mil a year for him.

I know you don't want me to be a wannabe GM, but I'd offer Miller 2 years 4.5 mil total.

Seriously...after he had that meltdown, I thought his NHL potential was in the dumps. He had an above average season(his first full season in the NHL), but I need to see another season like 2005 and see some improvement in the flaws in his game, before I pony up 3+ mil a year for him.

I know you don't want me to be a wannabe GM, but I'd offer Miller 2 years 4.5 mil total.

I would rather sign him to a 1 year deal instead of a 2 year. If he gets signed to a 2 year deal, he will be an UFA at the end of it. Ideally he will sign a long term deal.

Well, last year's playoffs weren't really a regular occurrence.

I know, and I am not saying I expect the team to keep 9 NHL-caliber defensemen, but come on, we can't be one injury away from Jillson being a regular! I'd expect 6 NHL defensemen (obviously) and two guys that are cheap that can fill in if needed (would have liked Sean Brown, before he signed in Germany, for example). Right now its Spacek, Numminen, Campbell, Tallinder, Lydman, JILLSON. We need Kalinin back. I rest my case.

I know, and I am not saying I expect the team to keep 9 NHL-caliber defensemen, but come on, we can't be one injury away from Jillson being a regular! I'd expect 6 NHL defensemen (obviously) and two guys that are cheap that can fill in if needed (would have liked Sean Brown, before he signed in Germany, for example). Right now its Spacek, Numminen, Campbell, Tallinder, Lydman, JILLSON. We need Kalinin back. I rest my case.

Paetsch is higher up in the depth chart than Jillson. I expect him to be #7. Another thing to keep in mind is that that #8 defenseman could be subject to recall waivers.

I never thought Kalinin was anything special. He shows up about 40% of the time, takes stupid penalties, then when he has a string of two to three good games, he gets hurt.

Whether you like him or dislike him, the team needs to sign him. IMHO Paetsch is not ready to play every night yet. Therefore without Kalinin, the Sabres have 5 defenseman I would be comfortable with as regulars right now.

The Gazette might be the worst paper out there -- I have no idea. But the author of this drivel, Tim Schmitt, is my favorite Sabre writer. He's outstanding. Maybe a lot of you haven't read his work, but you should.

Schmitt is an all-around quality writer, and he won't be stuck at the Gazette for very long. They can't match what a bigger newspaper will offer him to jump ship.

As for the "sources say" or other things like that - really, I have no problem with guys using that in online blogs, rumor sites, etc., b/c quite often, they are not real journalists, and no one is editing their work or checking their sources. Let's be honest, we have a pretty good idea which writers/analysts have reliable "sources" and are usually accurate with their speculations, and we also have a good idea who not to trust, for the most part. Part of being an "insider" with a team or having good sources in an organization is knowing when they are BSing you, trying to use the media to their advantage - maybe to put doubt in a player's mind about his value, if he might be traded, or to scare another team off of a guy they are interested in, or maybe give up more than they want to trade for someone. So if an established writer is using the "sources tell me" in his print or TV spots, it doesn't bother me, b/c if there is an issue with something their source tells them, someone else is going to start looking into the reporter's work and his/her sources, and that reporter's career might be in trouble.

I don't disagree that they need to sign Miller long-term, and get it done yesterday, but I do disagree that he has more leverage than the Sabres. Let's say we can't come to terms - what can he do? His only weapon is a holdout, and that hurts him as much (if not more) than the team. If its a long-term, Peca-type holdout, he loses an enormous amount of salary (not superstar money, but more than most of us on here will make in 10 years' time, if not more), gets another year older, without gaining more experience, and the whispers start around the league about not being a team player, etc.

His play last year earned him a raise for this year, and it should be a significant one - but he's still had just one good year. Let's not break the bank for him quite yet, but if he does continue to develop into a top-tier goaltender, Darcy and TG should just smile and say "he's earned it" when they lock him up with a long-term, multi-million $$$ deal.

Archived