Pittsburgh considering Crosby as Captain

hopeleslyobvious

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=175033&hubname=nhl

While Crosby is a great player, I think 19 is too young to give him the C. The C should go to the best leader on the team, not the best player.

I agree, the kid is way too young. I sincerely doubt his "leadership" abilities. All he does is whine. And what a slap in the face to the veterans on the team like LeClair, Recchi, Gonchar. Hell even Eric Cairns is a better choice than Crosby. But whatever, that team is going nowhere for a while.

I agree, the kid is way too young. I sincerely doubt his "leadership" abilities. All he does is whine. And what a slap in the face to the veterans on the team like LeClair, Recchi, Gonchar. Hell even Eric Cairns is a better choice than Crosby. But whatever, that team is going nowhere for a while.

So why not give him the C? Will their veterens' leadership lead them to the cup this year? Crosby's the team's future, so why not attempt to speed up his maturation process by giving him more responsiblity. Hell, the Caps let Ovechkin announce their first round pick at the draft. It makes sense to give the young, talented guys ownership of the team's improvement, rather than giving it to a washed-up veteren.

So why not give him the C? Will their veterens' leadership lead them to the cup this year? Crosby's the team's future, so why not attempt to speed up his maturation process by giving him more responsiblity. Hell, the Caps let Ovechkin announce their first round pick at the draft. It makes sense to give the young, talented guys ownership of the team's improvement, rather than giving it to a washed-up veteren.

yeah, i say give it to him. The pens absolutely suck. They're in like 10x worse shape than 2001-2004 buffalo sabres. They don't have anything to lose by giving the C to crosby. If they're using him as the franchise player, and they're great white hope, then by all means give it to him. However, i do agree with the rest of you... he's very immature and he's a crybaby right now. Hopefully he grows out of that. I couldn't ever stand lemieux because he's a crybaby. I'd have for that to be crosby's legacy.

Please don't take this as me being cocky, but I stated why in my previous post.

Sure, the veteran leadership isn't going to lead them to the cup, but neither is his constant whining or their overall talent-less lineup. How do you know that giving him the C would SPEED UP his maturation process rather than slow it down? Some guys can't handle the pressue. Look at how he has already been touted at the next Gretzky. Pretty lofty expectations for a teenager, right?

My opinion is that the captaincy along with the alternate captains should be chosen by seniority, not by skill level. The so-called "washed up" veterans have paid their dues and put their time in, they know the ropes and they deserve the letters. Experience is a big part of being a team leader. You can't just go by skill level...I mean look at Jagr, look at how we gave Satan the "A" before, those guys aren't leaders from what I can tell...and remember Barnes got the C over Satan, not because he was more skilled but because he was a veteran that was a true leader. I dunno just my 2 cents.

Sure, the veteran leadership isn't going to lead them to the cup, but neither is his constant whining or their overall talent-less lineup. How do you know that giving him the C would SPEED UP his maturation process rather than slow it down? Some guys can't handle the pressue. Look at how he has already been touted at the next Gretzky. Pretty lofty expectations for a teenager, right?

My opinion is that the captaincy along with the alternate captains should be chosen by seniority, not by skill level. The so-called "washed up" veterans have paid their dues and put their time in, they know the ropes and they deserve the letters. Experience is a big part of being a team leader. You can't just go by skill level...I mean look at Jagr, look at how we gave Satan the "A" before, those guys aren't leaders from what I can tell...and remember Barnes got the C over Satan, not because he was more skilled but because he was a veteran that was a true leader. I dunno just my 2 cents.

I disagree that it should be on the basis of seniority. It should be on the basis of who is team team's leader.

I don't think Crosby is ready for the C, but one good argument for giving it to him is that none of the veteran players really came forward as a leader last year.

I'd give him an "A" for right now, and let him watch how some of the team leaders handle things with the refs, their day-in and day-out approach to the game, how to handle teammates that suck or don't give the effort, etc. I agree that the Pens' roster is such a mess that there aren't a lot of alternatives, but maybe the Pens need to make a move to get some veteran leadership in there to help develop Crosby's leadership skills (if he has any.)

Oh, and I'd keep Crosby's locker (and the "C") as far away from Mark Recchi as possible. He may have been on Cup-winning teams, but in Recchi I see a glimpse of Crosby's future - a crying, diving, and whining "star."

)

Oh, and I'd keep Crosby's locker (and the "C") as far away from Mark Recchi as possible. He may have been on Cup-winning teams, but in Recchi I see a glimpse of Crosby's future - a crying, diving, and whining "star."

Which is curious, cause according to reports, Recchi was pretty vocal about Crysby being way too vocal against the refs over calls that didn't go his way, last year.

When Recchi chews you down for overdoing it, you KNOW you're in trouble :blink:

You're not kidding...

Anyway no matter what uniform I picture Recchi in, the first image that comes to mind is either him a) diving or b) chirping at the refs for something. Seems ridiculous to me...

I think nows the perfect time to give him the C. The Penguins are gonna suck for another 2 years before they become so very deadly i'll cry at night. This basically forces him to be a leader. I venture to say he won't be quite as whiney this season. "Great inventions are born of necessity" ... the C will MAKE him be a leader, and not a crybaby leader at that.

I will not be suprised to see a C on him, and Ovechkin, really soon.

Your Satan example is poor, because unlike Satan, Crosby delivers on his talent. Satan floated, and it undercut his ability to lead. Crosby had a 102 point rookie season, so the issue wasn't with his effort, it was with his demeanor.

Giving him the C would set a higher bar for his on-ice conduct. If he is one of the next great players in the NHL, as his talent indicates, he'll respond.

And seniority doesn't always equal the ability to lead. Gonchar will be tradebait in March. Recchi was a rent-a-player last season. LeClair will be retiring soon. Tell me again, what makes these guys good leaders? When the Penguins finally are competitive again in a few years, where are these guys going to be?

They should give the C to Crosby. If he succeeds, they could have the next Yzerman. If he fails, they can focus on bringing in a real 'leadership' guy next year like Peca, or Drury. :unsure:

Having the C could be the opposite effect on Sidney's maturation process - he may not be able to handle the pressure of being the team's leader on top of the pressure of being expected to be the "Next One." I think a good example of this is Vincent Lecavalier, he was named the Lightning's captain at 19 and just didn't do well in the role - his production actually dropped as captain and he was stripped of it, and called out by his coach. He matured after losing the captaincy, and greatly improved as both a player and a leader. His maturation came as a result of working hard and overcoming adversity, not because he had a letter put on his jersey when he was still teenaged.

nice...I'm in Ohio now, and we are coming up to Niagara Falls this weekend for the holiday - but we are leaving NF around 430 to make it home in time for kickoff (wife has to work the next day :()

Do you venture onto any of the FSU message boards? I am kind of particular to Warchant, myself, since I worked with them when I was at FSU...

Archived