8. Atlanta

9. Tampa Bay

10. Toronto

11. Florida

12. Boston

13. Pittsburgh

14. Islanders

15. Washington

Anyone else think this is a bit off? I really don't see NJ being able to finish 4th. They have lost some depth this summer. They are over the cap with Gionta and Martin still unsigned. This seems to indicate they are going to lose even more depth, or Gomez. Quite honestly, I see them making the playoffs, but more towards the bottom of the pack.

I also think it's a bit off that Atlantic division teams were picked to finish 3-4. I think we are going to see a repeat of last year in that the Atlantic division winner will finish with less points than the 4th place team. While it looks like the Rangers have improved, I still think they lack the depth in their 3rd and 4th lines to compete with the elite teams.

I also see Montreal finishing higher than the Flyers.

Here is how THN predicts the East:

1. Carolina

2. Ottawa

3. Rangers

4. New Jersey

5. Buffalo

6. Philadelphia

7. Montreal

8. Atlanta

9. Tampa Bay

10. Toronto

11. Florida

12. Boston

13. Pittsburgh

14. Islanders

15. Washington

Anyone else think this is a bit off? I really don't see NJ being able to finish 4th. They have lost some depth this summer. They are over the cap with Gionta and Martin still unsigned. This seems to indicate they are going to lose even more depth, or Gomez. Quite honestly, I see them making the playoffs, but more towards the bottom of the pack.

I also think it's a bit off that Atlantic division teams were picked to finish 3-4. I think we are going to see a repeat of last year in that the Atlantic division winner will finish with less points than the 4th place team. While it looks like the Rangers have improved, I still think they lack the depth in their 3rd and 4th lines to compete with the elite teams.

I think they overestimated Carolina and Washington (which will finish 20th in a 15-team conference), and I think you're dead on with respect to the Atlantic division (which the Rangers probably will win this time). They may have underestimated Montreal, especially if it makes an addition at wing. 8-10 could finish in any order with any of those teams taking the final playoff spot.

Here is how THN predicts the East:

1. Carolina

2. Ottawa

3. Rangers

4. New Jersey

5. Buffalo

6. Philadelphia

7. Montreal

8. Atlanta

9. Tampa Bay

10. Toronto

11. Florida

12. Boston

13. Pittsburgh

14. Islanders

15. Washington

I agree that the so-called "experts" at THN are off on this one.

Pittsburgh will be the worst team. I think Boston is a playoff contender because Thomas is a solid goalie and they have re-tooled their lineup. Also, no way that New Jersey has more points than us....no effin way. I think we have a legitimate shot at number one this year. Here's my predictions (not that you asked for them :D ):

1. Carolina - Still the early. Lost some depth but Staal and Cole will be back for another big year. IF cam ward can show last year wasn't a fluke, they will be #1 or 2.

2. Buffalo - Maybe I'm a "homer" but we have the talent and depth to challege for 1st overall. I'm not worried about Miller, Dumont can be replaced, Spacek adds offense. Love this team!

3. Rangers - I hate them, but they're a solid team, even more if Lundqvist repeats with another stellar year. Shanahan still has some gas left in the tank, Cullen and Ward were snatched up from the Cup Champions and solidify the lineup.

4. Ottawa - Still a dangerous team despite losing Chara. Defense actually got quicker w/ Corvo. Gerber is an upgrade over Emery IMO.

5. Montreal - Gainey's Candiens bring a strong work ethic. They picked up Mike Johnson from Phoenix who is an underrated player. Huet will continue to develop.

6. New Jersey - Brought back Gomez but they are over the cap and will need to trim payroll, which means a this team that already lacks depth will be even worse off. Have fun with Mogilny on the 2nd line.

7. Philadelphia - Carter and Richards enter their 2nd year, Nittymakki will become starter (IMO). Somebody needs to step up on defense. Still a slow team built for the "old" NHL. Oh by the way, this is 7th place assuming they get Gagne signed. Otherwise I can see them missing the playoffs.

8. Boston - Overpaid to get them but Savard and Chara will help. Very solid group of centers(savard,bergeron,boyes,primeau). Add 2006 draft pick Phil Kessel into the mix, who has a shot at the calder trophu. Thomas turned into a consistent goalie for them. Boston is my surprise pick.

9. Florida - Bertuzzi will help but I think he'll have a tough time returning to the player he was before the Steve Moore incident. This team has decent depth but replacing Luongo w/ Auld/Belfour=no playoffs IMO.

10. Atlanta - Will miss the playoffs again unless Lehtonen is this year's Lundqvist, Miller or Ward. Simply not enough scoring ability up front.

11. Tampa Bay - Replaced Sydor and Kubina with Kuba, Delmore and Luc Richardson. Marc Denis is the starter. No playoffs.

12. Islanders - Not enough scoring power. Sillinger helps up the middle as one of the league's best faceoff men. Defense is solid w/ addition of Poti, Witt.

13. Toronto - Another satisfying year for Sabres fans. Blow Leafs blow!

14. Washington - Not enough depth to compete. Pothier has some wheels and will help on defense. Draft pick Niklas Backstrom will be in Europe this year but will compliment Ovechkin in 07-08.

15. Pittsburgh Malkin should have just stayed in Russia, because this team is going nowhere again, unless you think Jarkko Ruutu and Mark Recchi are going to propel this team to glory.

I don't know, I think it will be a tight race between Ottawa, Montreal and Buffalo, with all 3 finishing close together.

I still think Ottawa is the team to beat again, losing hasek but gaining Gerber, if Gerber stays healthy, i don't see to much of a drop off from a Hasek who plays part of a season. They won't be much of a drop off from last year.

Montreal is more of a team on the rise and could be very tough this year (they were pretty good last year and look like they may only get better)

Buffalo hasn't done much to improve on the club from last year, Adding Spacek, but losing Pyatt, Grier, McKee, and Dumont (maybe) and possibly Biron too, and without much cap space, yet again they will have to give 150% this year every game and have the young guys step up

1. Carolina - Still the early. Lost some depth but Staal and Cole will be back for another big year. IF cam ward can show last year wasn't a fluke, they will be #1 or 2.

How Ward plays will have a big impact. He was very hot and cold when he played in the regular season last year. It will be interesting to see if he settled down in the playoffs, or if he was just on a hot streak.

I see them winning the SE, but I don't see them finishing first in the Conference. I think the top team in the conference is coming out of the NE. I think that's a toss up between the Sabres and the Sens. Montreal will be improved this year, but I see them as 3rd in the division.

Predictions that don't make "sense"? I don't get it. Picking the Sabres to make the conference finals last year would have seemed a bit "off" and wouldn't have made "sense." All preseason predictions are "garbage." I'm using more quotation marks than Matt Foley!

Predictions that don't make "sense"? I don't get it. Picking the Sabres to make the conference finals last year would have seemed a bit "off" and wouldn't have made "sense." All preseason predictions are "garbage." I'm using more quotation marks than Matt Foley!

Would it have been acceptable if I put my comments in the form of a conspiracy theory?

No, sorry, the answer was: what was the Crimean War. The Crimean War...

Now for my serious attempt at a response. I think last year it was reasonable for the experts to be a little off.

The NHL planned an obstruction crackdown. Of course they planned one every year and nothing really happened. So I don't think anyone really had any idea how much of an impact changing a few rules, and enforcing the rest would really have.

Younger players had an extra year to develop during the lockout. This made some teams a lot better than some anticipated.

With that in mind, see my comments above about their predictions of the Atlantic division teams.

Why do so many people think the Devils are going to do so well?

Is it just me, or is that organization in a lot of trouble this year?

How could they possibly be in trouble?

When they are healthy they have a team payroll of only $48.9MM (actual, I didn't bother to check where it fits against the salary cap) with 19 guys signed. None of those 19 are named Gionta nor Martin. The heck with concerns about the $44MM cap, these guys are having a hard time staying under the training camp cap of $48.4MM.

They have a 34 year old goalie backed up by a rookie.

They have 3 guys that they probably don't want on the roster (Mogilny, Malakov, and McGillis) making well over $9MM between them and 2 of them will count over $7MM against the cap whether they play or don't.

Why would anyone say the organization is in trouble? :P

How could they possibly be in trouble?

When they are healthy they have a team payroll of only $48.9MM (actual, I didn't bother to check where it fits against the salary cap) with 19 guys signed. None of those 19 are named Gionta nor Martin. The heck with concerns about the $44MM cap, these guys are having a hard time staying under the training camp cap of $48.4MM.

They have a 34 year old goalie backed up by a rookie.

They have 3 guys that they probably don't want on the roster (Mogilny, Malakov, and McGillis) making well over $9MM between them and 2 of them will count over $7MM against the cap whether they play or don't.

Why would anyone say the organization is in trouble? :P

Not to mention they lost some depth this summer, and will probably lose some more before the season starts.

Archived