For the love of God - could we please get some hockey news!

Barnabov

AAAH! I'm sick of seeing the same picture of some Bruin suit everytime I click on TSN & Sportsnet. This is the worst time of the year - waiting for some news and counting the days until training camp. All the FA moves have pretty much played out (except for Dumont now) and not much going on otherwise.

At least there are a few morsels from day to day (I read the article on Kaleta and his hitting prowess twice from sabres.com).

Anyway, just to have some hockey talk, let's debate the season beginning lines...here's mine:

Hecht - Briere - Pominville

Roy - Drury - Kotalik

Vanek - Connolly - Afinogenov

Peters - Gaustad - Mair

I also expect someone to take Peters' slot out of training camp and for Andrew to be a healthy scratch for most of the season like last year. Maybe Clarke MacArthur or Dan Paille might stay up with the big club. Thorburn & Novotny are possibles too

Tallinder - Lydman

Spacek - Kalinin

Numinnen - Campbell

Jillson for emergency and Paetsch called up for extended injuries (Anyone know if Paetsch has to clear waivers out of training camp - if so, I think he'll stay up and Jillson will go down).

Miller & Biron in goal until the market turns around for goalies (no doubt several will go down in the opening months) - then we'll have Miller & hopefully a decent backup at 1/4 the price.

So, even though we've lost Grier, Dumont & McKee - not a lot of changes to the roster. Good good good!

AAAH! I'm sick of seeing the same picture of some Bruin suit everytime I click on TSN & Sportsnet. This is the worst time of the year - waiting for some news and counting the days until training camp. All the FA moves have pretty much played out (except for Dumont now) and not much going on otherwise.

At least there are a few morsels from day to day (I read the article on Kaleta and his hitting prowess twice from sabres.com).

Anyway, just to have some hockey talk, let's debate the season beginning lines...here's mine:

Roy - Drury - Kotalik

Peters - Gaustad - Mair

I also expect someone to take Peters' slot out of training camp and for Andrew to be a healthy scratch for most of the season like last year. Maybe Clarke MacArthur or Dan Paille might stay up with the big club. Thorburn & Novotny are possibles too

Tallinder - Lydman

Spacek - Kalinin

Numinnen - Campbell

Jillson for emergency and Paetsch called up for extended injuries (Anyone know if Paetsch has to clear waivers out of training camp - if so, I think he'll stay up and Jillson will go down).

Miller & Biron in goal until the market turns around for goalies (no doubt several will go down in the opening months) - then we'll have Miller & hopefully a decent backup at 1/4 the price.

So, even though we've lost Grier, Dumont & McKee - not a lot of changes to the roster. Good good good!

I don't see Ales on Drury's line, so I would flip Poms and Kotalik. Neither MacArthur nor Paille have to clear waivers to be sent down, so I'd expect to see them in Ra-cha-cha. Also, MacArthur is due to make $600k this season if he makes the big squad, so I don't see him getting called up until December at the earliest. I have no data on Paille's contract, so he is my guess to be the 1st Ra-cha-cha call up as I think he will earn a spot on the Sabres in training camp but the Sabres won't want to risk losing Novotny and Thorburn who do have to clear waivers. I'd expect the team to go with 22 players and Novotny makes the squad, but if they do go with 23 I think Thorburn is up as well.

Paetsch has to clear waivers to go down, so he stays and Jillson becomes #8 until the team has faith in one or 2 of the prospect D-men. At that time Jillson drops to 9 or 10. I don't expect to see Jillson wearing a yellow grease stain this season. I agree with your thoughts on the top 6 D and the goaltending.

I still think we may see Kotalik gone due to efforts to trim salary, but the team may be able to get under the cap by going w/ only 22 skaters. We'll know better (obviously) after Miller and Kalinin are signed.

Thanks for the feedback Dave_B - yeah, I'd like to see Pom Pom Pominville Drury & Roy on the same line too but not sure about Kotalik playing with Briere so maybe Ales & Max will switch up.

Sorry you had to answer some CBA type of stuff by clarifying who & who's not subject to waivers - you must get tired of 'splaining it continually to the rest of us but I for one sure appreciate it.

Hope you currently have or will someday hold a position in the Front Office keeping Mgmt in line on the rules - although I do have to say that Darcy & Lindy seem to understand the operations side better than pretty much any other GM/Coach tandem I've seen. Thank God we don't have the organizational culture of the Rangers/Islanders/Flyers, you name it. I'll take a little foot dragging and good old stinginess any day over the outright madness those circus acts have shown in recent years. Too bad a couple of missed moves/budget restraints here & there have cost us but some of that was definitely beyond anyone's control (who'd have thought Peca really would hold out a whole season - like to have seen what kind of playoff run there would have been that year with him) and no one can predict a scenario where you lose 4 of your 6 D in a playoff run to injury (but I guess that's why you pickup depth if you can get it at the trade deadline - I wonder if some of the stinker moves of the past made them stand pat this year).

Anyway, like I said - a great looking lineup and without a doubt Lindy will figure out some other combination and surprise us amateurs - that's why he's watching the game from then bench!

Roy - Drury - Kotalik

Peters - Gaustad - Mair

Tallinder - Lydman

Spacek - Kalinin

Numinnen - Campbell

The battle for the #7 blueliner should be a no-contest unless they bring back Fitzpatrick or similar veteran dman. Jillson is a complete waste and I still don't expect him to be in the organization(Sabres or Amerks) on opening day. That would leave it to Paetsch to assume the role seeing that the 3 dmen behind him(Sekera, Funk & Card) have yet to play a professional hockey game at any level.

From a forward standpoint, Peters will more than likely be on the opening day roster, but I fully expect either Paille, Novotny or Thorburn to be the regular on the 4th line instead of Peters. I haven't seen MacArthur play, but from what I heard he was a pleasant surprise with the Amerks last year and could be a darkhorse roster candidate especially if the Sabres have to lose a forward due to running up against the cap. Stafford probably has more upside, but will probably see at least a half season in Rochester.

The size of the forward ranks and physical play(to some extent) without Grier, Pyatt, Dumont & McKee will be felt the most in the corners and along the boards. It will be interesting to see if the Sabres struggle in these areas.

GO SABRES!!!

The size of the forward ranks and physical play(to some extent) without Grier, Pyatt, Dumont & McKee will be felt the most in the corners and along the boards. It will be interesting to see if the Sabres struggle in these areas.

That makes me nervous as well...but everyone did say that Philly was going to muscle us right out of the playoffs. I think we will be fine.

Archived