Adam Mair

mphs mike

Well ... and this is just in theory ... I am NOT saying I think this is what is happening ...

if the Sabres wanted more time to sort things out and make their decision on Dumont, they would want it to go to arbitration ... so, again in theory, they could have worked out a deal with Mair and said, "OK, we could agree and sign you now for $700,000 (or whatever the number is), but we want the 4 extra days that come with the arbitration (2 for the decision and 2 for the Sabres to decide to accept) ... so you go in and ask for $800,000, we'll go in and offer $700,000, and whatever happens is basically a wash. We'll swallow the extra cash if we have to to buy the time."

I am assuming of course that if both went in with the same number the arbitrator would just rule immediately, which buys them no time ... actually it buys them 2 days instead of 4 I guess but ... you see where I am going ...

Dave_b, could they pull something like that off?

BtP - I wouldn't necessarily have disagreed yesterday but now that they have formally accepted Briere's award I would think they had all their ducks in a row as far as player decisions/contracts, including what they intend to sign Miller & Khalinin for plus who will be traded, waived, etc.

Maybe things aren't as chiseled in stone as yesterdays announcement made me think.

I always figured the Sabres were going to go to arbitration with Mair just because it would give them more time to get other things settled with Briere and Dumont. The may also have concerns over Mairs concussion, but probably told him, this is what we are offering but we want to go to arbitration anyway to buy us more time. They know they are not going to get a ruling like Briere for Mair so they figure they can take the chance just for the extra time. Or they are buying as much time as they can and will not announce an agreement until the last second to get as much time as the can with Dumont now.

Or Darcy sent out the new contract via fax out to Mairs agent this morning but the fax machine is broken an he is waiting for the repair guy to fix it sometime today

Anyone else (Dave I'm looking at you) know how it would work then if they were to decide to sign Mair longterm today, how long they have with Dumont. Would he automatically become a FA since its been approx 48hrs since his ruling? Or would they give the Sabres 48 hours from when the Mair signing is anounced since he would have been the reason they would get til next week?

I am starting to think a deal is almost done with Mair for longterm and that is the reason they announced accepting Briere's ruling yesterday and not waiting. Right now they are just buying time to work out something for Dumont.

Well ... and this is just in theory ... I am NOT saying I think this is what is happening ...

if the Sabres wanted more time to sort things out and make their decision on Dumont, they would want it to go to arbitration ... so, again in theory, they could have worked out a deal with Mair and said, "OK, we could agree and sign you now for $700,000 (or whatever the number is), but we want the 4 extra days that come with the arbitration (2 for the decision and 2 for the Sabres to decide to accept) ... so you go in and ask for $800,000, we'll go in and offer $700,000, and whatever happens is basically a wash. We'll swallow the extra cash if we have to to buy the time."

I am assuming of course that if both went in with the same number the arbitrator would just rule immediately, which buys them no time ... actually it buys them 2 days instead of 4 I guess but ... you see where I am going ...

Dave_b, could they pull something like that off?

I don't see anything in the Circumvention section that says they can't have a deal worked out and go to arbitration anyway.

To buy the maximum amount of time to decide what to do with Dumont, the team will either wait until ~noon on Sunday to get the Arbitrator's decision, or at ~11:30AM on Sunday will announce a deal with Adam. Either way, if the results of his hearing are finalized around noon on Sunday, the team has until ~noon on Tuesday to decide whether they will accept JP's deal.

i dont expect mair to get a huge raise and it definitly would not be a huge blow to us,mair and gaustad would make a good fourth line,possibly with pominville

No way Pominville is going to be a fourth liner. JP's as good as gone, and Poms will be with Hecht and Briere.

Archived