Arbitration casualties?

BetweenThePipes00

There could be some big names out there in the next couple weeks ...

Barring a trade, we can assume that either Briere or Afinogenov (probably Max) will be cut loose. Possibly Dumont also if he gets a big award.

New Jersey may have to cut Gomez ($5 M) loose. Given the awards so far, Phoenix is probably looking at $3 M+ for Comrie (30 goals in 80 games) and $4M+ for Nagy (56 points in 51 games) ... I am guessing but accordning to the trend those are not crazy numbers. Can they afford both at that point? They have a lot of money tied up in Jovanovski, Morris and Doan.

So very late in the offseason, it's possible Gomez, Afinogenov, Dumont and either Comrie or Nagy will all be on the market at the same time ... even with trades and being realistic, I would guess at least 2 of these guys are out there ...

Do they get market value? Stillman took a big hit last time when TB cut him loose ... will it happen again? Will someone get a bargain for Gomez? Or do the other guys who have not had their hearings yet see it coming and give in to cheaper long-term deals? Going to be interesting.

I honestly don't see any of these guys just being cut loose without some sort of compensation. Whether that compensation is just or not is another story all together.

As far as the Sabres who might be arbitration casualties, I think we'll end up trading Max and maybe Danny, while re-signing JP. Then of course there is still the Biron situation to deal with. It should all make for one of the most interesting Augusts in Sabres history!

I agree, although NJ is in REALLY bad shape and has no one else going to arbitration, so the clock is ticking ... they may run out of time trying to make a trade. At least the Sabres and Coyotes have time before they have to decide (Comrie and Nagy are both Aug. 4, just like Mair) ...

One possibility I didn't consider is that now that Kotalik is signed to a long-term deal he is more attractive in a trade. Maybe he gets dealt along with Max and Biron and Dumont stays.

I agree, although NJ is in REALLY bad shape and has no one else going to arbitration, so the clock is ticking ... they may run out of time trying to make a trade. At least the Sabres and Coyotes have time before they have to decide (Comrie and Nagy are both Aug. 4, just like Mair) ...

One possibility I didn't consider is that now that Kotalik is signed to a long-term deal he is more attractive in a trade. Maybe he gets dealt along with Max and Biron and Dumont stays.

NJ is in bad shape, but remember teams can be over the limit by 10% until shortly before the regular season starts, so as long as Gomez doesn't put their payroll over $48.4MM they don't have a loaded gun with the trigger cocked up against their head (they just have the loaded gun to their head). I don't think they have signed a deal with Gionta yet. I wouldn't expect them to sign him until after they have figured out what they are going to do as signing him probably will put the team over the $48.4 limit (assuming Gomez won't already do that).

The possibilities of how this could all play out for the Sabres are myriad. The only 2 things that I'd be willing to put any money down on is that Miller will be a Sabre in October and Marty will not be the only player that the Sabres have the rights to today that isn't a Sabre come October. (Heck, I wouldn't even be willing to wager that Marty won't be a Sabre on opening night, just that at least 1 skater will be moved.)

The possibilities of how this could all play out for the Sabres are myriad. The only 2 things that I'd be willing to put any money down on is that Miller will be a Sabre in October and Marty will not be the only player that the Sabres have the rights to today that isn't a Sabre come October. (Heck, I wouldn't even be willing to wager that Marty won't be a Sabre on opening night, just that at least 1 skater will be moved.)

Looking around, I think the only deal left for Marty is to go to Detroit.

They actually may get a pretty good return for him because Marty is a deal

for the first year.

The other thing I wonder is if NJ can package Mogilny in some kind of deal.

Move him with Gomez, or maybe a trade that gives away Mogilny with a draft

pick (can you do that?).

The only thiing I don't see happening is Buffalo moving a D-man without

getting one back. If I am Edmonton - I might be asking about Lydman

and Kalinen as well as Dumont and Afinagenov. The idea of Hemsky centering

with Dumont or Afinagenov on a wing might be very appealing.

edit: my bad, I meant Horcoff. I get them mixed up.

for the first year.

pick (can you do that?).

I feel like Mogilny is as good as retired. Not that he probably can't still play a little but at $3.5 million I can't imagine anyone taking him. But who knows.

I will go out on a limb and predict this lineup to start the season ...

C - Drury, Briere, Connolly, Gaustad

Wings - Roy, Vanek, Hecht, Mair, Kotalik, Pominville, Paille, NEW YOUNG GUY FROM TRADE

D - Tallinder, Lydman, Spacek, Numminen, Campbell, Kalinin

G - Miller, Backup from trade

Like I said, Kotalik could be gone and Dumont in that spot ... I am not sure that lineup, even assuming very low salaries for the new guys, will fit the budget, but it seems to cut enough salary (almost $8 million I would guess between Max, Marty and JP) ... Is it ideal? No, but if that new guy is a young guy with some upside and not just a career 4th line guy it's not horrible.

There could be some big names out there in the next couple weeks ...

Barring a trade, we can assume that either Briere or Afinogenov (probably Max) will be cut loose. Possibly Dumont also if he gets a big award.

New Jersey may have to cut Gomez ($5 M) loose. Given the awards so far, Phoenix is probably looking at $3 M+ for Comrie (30 goals in 80 games) and $4M+ for Nagy (56 points in 51 games) ... I am guessing but accordning to the trend those are not crazy numbers. Can they afford both at that point? They have a lot of money tied up in Jovanovski, Morris and Doan.

So very late in the offseason, it's possible Gomez, Afinogenov, Dumont and either Comrie or Nagy will all be on the market at the same time ... even with trades and being realistic, I would guess at least 2 of these guys are out there ...

Do they get market value? Stillman took a big hit last time when TB cut him loose ... will it happen again? Will someone get a bargain for Gomez? Or do the other guys who have not had their hearings yet see it coming and give in to cheaper long-term deals? Going to be interesting.

My guess is that a few quality mid-range players will be availbe. I don't know any names, but just suspect some pretty good players, someone like Lydman, will be around becasue a certain team just can't make room for them.

for the first year.

pick (can you do that?).

edit: my bad, I meant Horcoff. I get them mixed up.

I don't see any way that Lamiorello gets the Mogilny albatross off his neck. The only ways to do it are Mogilny retires, which I don't see that happening, not when he's making $3.5MM riding a bus in the AHL (look ma, I'm not FLYING); or send some other team some serious prospects to get them to absorb Mogilny. If he is in the AHL he won't count against the cap after the season starts, he'll just count against the budget; so I expect to see him visiting Ra-cha-cha a few times this winter.

There is nothing preventing the Devils from trading Mogilny (or McGillis for that matter) in the CBA. The things that make it tough though are that the $'s for '06-'07 cannot be renegotiated and NJ can't pay part of the salary. (A Jagr-type deal where the original team pays part of the salary is expressly forbidden in the CBA.) Also, if Mogily were to stay affiliated with the team in some sort of bogus, cushy job (like Garth Snow's :P ), then his whole salary would count against the salary cap, like Snow's will cost the Islanders.

As for the Sabres, I'd be very surprised if they make any deals involving the "big 6" on D. It would have to result in a serious upgrade in talent on the blueline or a lateral move in talent there but a serious downgrade in cost. I just don't see Darcy making that sort of deal. Up front Drury, Hecht, Vanek, Roy, Pominville, and maybe Gaustad and Paille are essentially untouchable but I'd expect everyone else is fair game (primarily due to $'s). I think the guys in the "essentially untouchable" category would never bring back as much in trade as Darcy feels they are worth especially when their $ cost to the team is compared to their value to the team.

I feel like Mogilny is as good as retired. Not that he probably can't still play a little but at $3.5 million I can't imagine anyone taking him. But who knows.

I will go out on a limb and predict this lineup to start the season ...

C - Drury, Briere, Connolly, Gaustad

Wings - Roy, Vanek, Hecht, Mair, Kotalik, Pominville, Paille, NEW YOUNG GUY FROM TRADE

D - Tallinder, Lydman, Spacek, Numminen, Campbell, Kalinin

G - Miller, Backup from trade

Like I said, Kotalik could be gone and Dumont in that spot ... I am not sure that lineup, even assuming very low salaries for the new guys, will fit the budget, but it seems to cut enough salary (almost $8 million I would guess between Max, Marty and JP) ... Is it ideal? No, but if that new guy is a young guy with some upside and not just a career 4th line guy it's not horrible.

Overall, I'd say you are very close.

I'd expect that Timmy is on IR on opening night (boy, do I hope I am wrong about that one).

I also don't see Paille on the opening night roster but do see him as the 1st call up. I think Novotny will be on the roster and then either Thorburn or another guy brought in from trade as the 12th dressed forward.

I agree with the D obviously.

If Detroit picks someone up while Buffalo finalizes Miller's deal, then I expect that Marty will still be on the squad (at least temporarily). If Detroit hasn't pulled the trigger, then I'd expect the Sabres either pick up a goalie in a trade, or more likely pick up one of the remaining FA's available. There are still servicable UFA's available that would probably sign for $600-800k.

Just an observation, but I think the Boumeester arbitration ruling

bodes well for Buffalo and Lydman's arbitration, not to mention

Pommenville and Gaustad because of age.

Hopefully decisions start to fall in the realm of reality.

Maxim Afinogenov Aug. 3

Daniel Briere Awarded a one-year, $5 million contract on July 23

Brian Campbell Settled before hearing

Tim Connolly Aug. 1

J.P. Dumont July 31

Paul Gaustad Aug. 2

Ales Kotalik Settled before hearing

Toni Lydman July 26

Adam Mair Aug. 4

Andrew Peters Settled before hearing

Jason Pominville July 28

Henrik Tallinder Settled before hearing

Of the remaining players, Mair, Gaustad & Pominville should not see drastic increases over last year salaries either because of lack of NHL experience(Pominville & Gaustad) or lack of production(Mair).

Max's potential award scares the heck out of me(based on Briere's award), Lydman will probably come in somewhere around 2.5 and I'm indifferent to Dumont. If his award is too high, walk away or accept it and try to trade him.

I believe that the CBA 48 hour rule makes it highly unlikely we'll see a long term settlement with Mair finalized/announced any time other than immediately before the hearing. Am I correct that to announce any agreement reached, cancelling the last scheduled arbitration would shorten the teams time to make decisions on previously awarded contracts?

I believe that the CBA 48 hour rule makes it highly unlikely we'll see a long term settlement with Mair finalized/announced any time other than immediately before the hearing. Am I correct that to announce any agreement reached, cancelling the last scheduled arbitration would shorten the teams time to make decisions on previously awarded contracts?

Yes.

If Mair signs before Afinogenov's decision has been handed down, then the Sabres have 48 hours after that award is announced to make a decision. And so on, and so on, and so on.

we should lose afinogenov because he sucks and briere is our best offensive forward.conolly had more points than afinogenov in the playoffs and he played 10 games less.obviously briere needs to stay because he led the team in points in the playoffs.if briere goes i will drown my sorrows in seclusion for weeks on end.

This what it states <Buffalo News>:

Teams normally have 48 hours to accept the ruling or allow the player to become an unrestricted free agent. The Sabres, though, could have until Aug. 8 because of a rule that states teams don't have to decide until 48 hours after their final arbitration ruling or settlement. Forward Adam Mair has his hearing scheduled for Aug. 4 (and the verdict can come 48 hours after that), so the Sabres can take their time on decisions regarding Briere and any upcoming arbitration award.

Archived