Spacek

bottlecap

Something is weird. I checked out Spacek's history and it seems he's been bouncing from team to team since 1998. Why he's been traded etc. five-six times in 7 years troubles me.. What's the deal with that?

For example he was traded by Chicago with a second-round draft pick to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Lyle Odelein. Why all that money for someone who doesn't appear to be stable? I think 3.2 mil for this

guy is way too much.

http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=6816

Something is weird. I checked out Spacek's history and it seems he's been bouncing from team to team since 1998. Why he's been traded etc. five-six times in 7 years troubles me.. What's the deal with that?

For example he was traded by Chicago with a second-round draft pick to the Columbus Blue Jackets for Lyle Odelein. Why all that money for someone who doesn't appear to be stable? I think 3.2 mil for this

guy is way too much.

http://nhlpa.com/WebStats/PlayerBiography.asp?ID=6816

Nothing weird. Drury's on his third team in seven years. Players get dealt all the time. Blueliners with offensive talent are like left handed releivers. Everybody wants them.

If you want to read more into it then you would have to break down each trade and determine where the teams involved were at that point and how Spacek fit into their plans at that point in time.

$3.2 for a player who comes in and quarterbacks the powerplay and will take his regular 20-25 minutes per game seems to be a decent price. ;)

I read that Spacek "wanted out" of Edmonton. What's the deal with everyone fleeing Alberta? I also read that he chose Chicago over Buffalo last offseason because his wife likes Chicago. I smell a... rat.

He did sign for 3 years so I don't think he is just here to get his check cashed. Contrary to Grier's comments, I think this Buffalo team is very attractive to players right now. The team came 1 period away from the cup finals, while already down 6 contributing players, and is coached by the 2006 coach of the year. They are looking for a defensemen that will quarterback one of the power play line and be depended on for 25-30 minutes of ice time a game, and they are willing to make you the higest paid player on the team with a 3 year contract. Spacek is going to be the happiest mf'er on the ice come september, and even happier in April if he contributes consistantly every night.

The one thing that confuses me about Spacek is that he had to choose between Buffalo and Chicago last year and he ended up with a one year deal? That seems a bit strange.

A lot of players signed one year deals. Being an offensive blueliner he probably wanted to see how the new rules worked. Seems like a smart move now. With the open ice he is even more valued now. ;)

A lot of players signed one year deals. Being an offensive blueliner he probably wanted to see how the new rules worked. Seems like a smart move now. With the open ice he is even more valued now. ;)

A lot of RFA's signed one year deals. I'm not so sure how many UFA's did. This is where dave chimes in and answers that question.

I read that Spacek "wanted out" of Edmonton. What's the deal with everyone fleeing Alberta? I also read that he chose Chicago over Buffalo last offseason because his wife likes Chicago. I smell a... rat.

The report I read was they picked Chicago because they were familiar with the area and felt comfy with the idea of living there. Not even sure why it matters at this point. He signed a 3 year deal here.

Archived