Sorry to see Jay go:

Barnabov

I was surprised to look at the UFA list on Sportsnet.ca and see how many UFA Defensemen are available - granted the top echelon has been signed already but plenty of household names - here are the ones which looked interesting to me and would probably be better than hoping that we resign Janik and he and/or Nathan Paetsch can step:

Anaheim: D - Ruslan Salei, 31

Boston: D - Brian Leetch, 38 (Teppo Numminen type signing)

Carolina: D - Niclas Wallin, 31; D - Aaron Ward, 33

Colorado: D - Bob Boughner, 35 (sentimental choice as the Boogeyman is probably past playing a full season in the new NHL)

Nashville: D - Mark Eaton, 28; D - Danny Markov, 29; D - Brendan Witt, 31

NY Rangers: D - Tom Poti, 29

Philadelphia: D - Eric Desjardins, 37; D - Kim Johnsson, 30

Also - Florida just bought out Sean Hill - not sure what kind of year he had but was decent when he was with Carolina pre-lockout.

Who else likes any of the above?

I was surprised to look at the UFA list on Sportsnet.ca and see how many UFA Defensemen are available - granted the top echelon has been signed already but plenty of household names - here are the ones which looked interesting to me and would probably be better than hoping that we resign Janik and he and/or Nathan Paetsch can step:

Anaheim: D - Ruslan Salei, 31

Boston: D - Brian Leetch, 38 (Teppo Numminen type signing)

Carolina: D - Niclas Wallin, 31; D - Aaron Ward, 33

Colorado: D - Bob Boughner, 35 (sentimental choice as the Boogeyman is probably past playing a full season in the new NHL)

Nashville: D - Mark Eaton, 28; D - Danny Markov, 29; D - Brendan Witt, 31

NY Rangers: D - Tom Poti, 29

Philadelphia: D - Eric Desjardins, 37; D - Kim Johnsson, 30

Also - Florida just bought out Sean Hill - not sure what kind of year he had but was decent when he was with Carolina pre-lockout.

Who else likes any of the above?

Wallin re-signed with Caroline and Kim Johnsson signed with the Wild.

The think that I feel needs replacing the most on the blueline is a physical and shot blocking presence. You can only have so many "finesse" type defensemen.

i kinda like salei and ward... ward was gritty and fast during the playoffs... those two would be the only ones that would be worth signing to me. we need to remeber that speed counts too now.

Based on what some of the other d-man have received so far, I have to believe Salei is going to get an offer of 3+ million per year which will make the Sabres look elsewhere. He'd be a great signing, but I don't see it happening.

I don't think you will see Buffalo sign a d-man this offseason,cause they are not going to come cheap for a good one. I think the d-man we are looking for will be in a trade with Biron and will be a young player still playing in his first contract that wil be low money. Buffalo will play out that contract and then move on.

Right now the Sabres have the following d-men regulars from 05-06 under contract(RFA qualifying offers)...

Tallinder

Lydman

Kalinin

Campbell

They may re-sign Teppo, but only time will tell. Fitzpatrick being a Rochester native, may agree to a 2 way contract and be the first "injury" call up from Rochester or be the # 7 d-man.

They have Paetsch who was AHL experience and they have youngsters Funk, Card and possibly Sekera(Darcy wants to sign him, but nothing as of today) who are straight out of juniors.

So even if they re-sign Teppo and Fitzpatrick, I still think they need to go out and find a #5 or a # 6 d-man.

This would give the Sabres a blueline as follows...

Tallinder - #1 pair

Lydman - #1 pair

Kalinin - #2 pair

Teppo - #2 pair

Campbell - #3 pair

UFA or acquired by trade d-man - #3 pair

Fitzpatrick - #7 defenseman or first injury call up from Rochester

Paetsch - #7 defenseman or first injury call up from Rochester

Funk - 1 or 2 years of seasoning in Rochester

Card - 1 or 2 years of seasoning in Rochester

Sekera - if he signs, could leapfrog Fitzpatrick, Paetsch, Card and Funk and challenge for a spot on the blueline, but more than likely would start the season in Rochester.

Janik - Would not mind him being re-signed to provide a veteran presence on the Amerks blueline.

Jillson - no comment. It is still puzzling that Darcy would even qualify him.

Janik - Would not mind him being re-signed to provide a veteran presence on the Amerks blueline.

How old are these guys? Do they have no shot of making it in the big leagues?

How old are these guys? Do they have no shot of making it in the big leagues?

Janik turned 26 earlier this year and Jillson will turn 26 this month. I've never figured Jillson out. He has all the talent in the world, but doesn't seem to have what it takes from a mental perspective. He will play one very good game and then ten bad games. I would have expected him to dominate in the AHL this past season, but from what I have seen and heard, he was mediocre at best.

Janik played a few games with the Sabres in past seasons and he appears to be an okay #7 d-man with little offensive upside(defensive defenseman), but them letting Janik walk(become a UFA) and qualifying Jillson doesn't seem to bode well for Janik.

Janik played a few games with the Sabres in past seasons and he appears to be an okay #7 d-man with little offensive upside(defensive defenseman), but them letting Janik walk(become a UFA) and qualifying Jillson doesn't seem to bode well for Janik.

Interesting that Janik actually had one of our two pathetic goals in the final game...

Right now the Sabres have the following d-men regulars from 05-06 under contract(RFA qualifying offers)...

Tallinder

Lydman

Kalinin

Campbell

They may re-sign Teppo, but only time will tell. Fitzpatrick being a Rochester native, may agree to a 2 way contract and be the first "injury" call up from Rochester or be the # 7 d-man.

They have Paetsch who was AHL experience and they have youngsters Funk, Card and possibly Sekera(Darcy wants to sign him, but nothing as of today) who are straight out of juniors.

So even if they re-sign Teppo and Fitzpatrick, I still think they need to go out and find a #5 or a # 6 d-man.

This would give the Sabres a blueline as follows...

Tallinder - #1 pair

Lydman - #1 pair

Kalinin - #2 pair

Teppo - #2 pair

Campbell - #3 pair

UFA or acquired by trade d-man - #3 pair

Fitzpatrick - #7 defenseman or first injury call up from Rochester

Paetsch - #7 defenseman or first injury call up from Rochester

Funk - 1 or 2 years of seasoning in Rochester

Card - 1 or 2 years of seasoning in Rochester

Sekera - if he signs, could leapfrog Fitzpatrick, Paetsch, Card and Funk and challenge for a spot on the blueline, but more than likely would start the season in Rochester.

While I agree that Fitzpatrick would probably be willing to accept a 2 way deal, he has to be offered a 1 way contract.

While I agree that Fitzpatrick would probably be willing to accept a 2 way deal, he has to be offered a 1 way contract.

Thankfully, Sasha (in my avatar) still accepts 2 way deals... ;)

Archived