Six Flags Selling or Closing Darien Lakes

frisky

I heard and read that Six Flags is attempting to sell six of the theme parks including Darien Lakes. They are even selling their flagship theme park Magic Mountain. If they aren't able to sell it to another amustement park company, they are going to sell it to developers and close the park. The land will be sold for housing. However, since things look pretty grim for Magic Mountain, I can pretty much imagine that Darien Lakes might have less of a bright future. I haven't been to Darien Lakes in over 20 years. I still would be bummed to know that it closed.

oh noes! :( :( :(

im like u, i havent been to d.l. in years (10 yrs+) but i still remember the viper, and the first time i was tall enough to ride it.

i remember when grizzly run opened!

oh the good times. where will the kids go for fun now???

canadas wonderland?

Nothing is exactly official yet. Darien Lake and the other five parks are "being looked at" as Six Flags looks for a way to stop bleeding so much money. In the local rags, I'm reading that Paul Snyder (founder, and no relation to Six Flags Principle ownerl Danny) is already talking with Six Flags about potentially buying it back. Snyder definitely wants to see the park stay pretty much just the same.

Darien Lakes is a hole because Darcy & TG are being tightwads and keep lowballing Darien Lakes' RFA rides, and they won't open their pocketbooks to bring in any new, fresh rides that can put the park over the top. ;)

Last time I went to the DL, it was a crap hole with a couple of bandaids on it. It really seemed to attract the scum of the earth and I doubt I would ever go back. :mellow:

Back in the mid 80s the campground used to be an open walk to the park. Good times back then! Sorry to hear that it went into the crapper.

meh, all wooden coasters are like that... hard on the ribs. steel coasters are so much more fun.

Wimps! I'd take the Predator over the Viper anyday! Wooden coasters are so much more interesting! For instance when you are going around a high sharp somewhat rickety curve, and you see nothing but a 2x4 "guardrail," that is scary. Knowing that one of the curves had to be rebuilt the first year because it couldn't handle the load also added to its mystique, at least for me.

I worked as a supervisor there at the campground right around the time the Predator was built. I was in the second train (the park executives were in the first after the sandbags). Those were some very good times...

I haven't been in the park since 1994 though. :(

Last time I went to the DL, it was a crap hole with a couple of bandaids on it. It really seemed to attract the scum of the earth and I doubt I would ever go back. :mellow:

mmmkay, I guess you can call me scum of the earth then. Doesn't hurt that it's only 20 minutes away, but I've seen much worse holes....don't see a lot of peeling paint or carny-looking attendants, didn't hear a lot of "squeaky" rides, was reasonably clean, and the people there the last time I went (3 July) looked pretty "normal" to me. Plenty of stuff for the kids to enjoy and even a couple of rides they can ride on with the parents....I've seen Fantasy Island look worse...Roseland in its final years (though I didn't care much 'cuz I was young), I probably shouldn't even bring up Olympic Park...now there was the definition of a hole. Would I plan a vacation around going there if I didn't live in the area? No, but I'm glad it's there.

Back when I was still living in the Buffalo area (6+ years ago), it seemed like Darien Lake was bringing in a lot of popular concerts. They may not have been shows that I would ever go anywhere near, but they were big draws. I would think that the concerts alone would bring a lot of extra people and money to the park. Are they not bringing in decent shows anymore?

Archived