Carolina view of NHL awards

Claude_Verret

"Nothing against Lindy Ruff and those other coaches, but to take a team that I think no one counted us in and get us to believe we could win the whole thing and we did, I don't know what more a coach can do. ... I just felt he deserved it."

Carolina acts like they are the only team in the NHL that was counted off of the playoffs in the start of the season....

Staff writer Luke DeCock can be reached at 829-8947 or ldecock@newsobserver.com.

I don't have a problem with a player praising his coach. I DO have a problem with a stupid, NC johnny come lately reporter labeling the award as a "snub."

The vote was the closest differential in the 30+ years that the Adams award has been awarded. NC gets no respect, but it is articles like these that perpetuate the impression that those following the team (media included) have no clue.

Whatever. Lindy rightfully won. He, hands down, dealt with more advertisty than NC both on and off the ice. Good for him, sour grapes to good 'ole Brind.

The vote was the closest differential in the 30+ years that the Adams award has been awarded. NC gets no respect, but it is articles like these that perpetuate the impression that those following the team (media included) have no clue.

Luke DeCock is also the writer who headlined his article when the Sabres came to visit Carolina in February "Slumping Sabres arrive...". At the time the Sabres were 8-1-1 in their last 10 games. Luke DeCock indeed.

Luke DeCock is also the writer who headlined his article when the Sabres came to visit Carolina in February "Slumping Sabres arrive...". At the time the Sabres were 8-1-1 in their last 10 games. Luke DeCock indeed.

Is that sort of like on Fantasy Island when Tattoo would say "Luuk Baass, Ze Plaane, Ze Plaane!"?

You would think, at some point in family history, someone would have had the sense to change that name. Can you imagine how that guy was tortured as a kid? It probably explains his lot in life. And, yes, he does tend to write more stupid things than the average NHL beat writer, which is saying a lot.

You would think, at some point in family history, someone would have had the sense to change that name. Can you imagine how that guy was tortured as a kid? It probably explains his lot in life. And, yes, he does tend to write more stupid things than the average NHL beat writer, which is saying a lot.

He should have changed it to something more practical like C. Mannshaft?

I was wondering if this dude even responded to people's emails like some of the other hockey reporters, so I wrote him a quick note.

Yeah, Lindy Ruff sure snubbed Peter Laviolette.

You know, seeing as how the Sabres were considered even worse than the Hurricanes before the season started, and they also made the ECF, and lost in a game 7.

"I do think the organization gets disrespected," Brind'Amour said. " ... Coach Laviolette, that was kind of his driving force all year, that no one thought much of our hockey team. You have to win to get respect, and now we've done that. I hope our organization gets more respect now because it does feel at times we're not included. ...

"Nothing against Lindy Ruff and those other coaches, but to take a team that I think no one counted us in and get us to believe we could win the whole thing and we did, I don't know what more a coach can do. ... I just felt he deserved it."

You could say the same exact thing about Lindy, except winning the cup. But seeing as how coach of the year is voted on before the finals, he wasn't snubbed.

Both did a great job. Both teams had a great year. Tell me this: When are the Carolina Hurricanes players and their media going to stop whining about not getting "respect" and realize that they ARE getting respect for winning anything?

Unlike what your Hurricanes and you want to believe, you WEREN'T the only team in the NHL to have a good season. You had the best season out of anyone, yes, but people can respect you without worshipping the ground you step on.

This aint the NFL and you aren't Tedy Bruschi, your "DeCock" doesn't need to be stroked by ESPN and everyone else.

The one point that really needs to be made.....Carolina has a very strong veteran lineup with tons of playoff experience. It served them well. Buffalo only has a handful of veteran guys and a bunch of newbies...and we still took the 'Canes to the 3rd period on their ice down 5 men. I think Ruff did the better job on the whole.

I'm having sort of a delayed reaction here. If there's any lack of respect, it's toward Lindy Ruff! He won by only a single vote. That's pretty shocking. Remember, the vote was based on the regular season. Considering the youth on Buffalo and the unbelievable personal issue Ruff had to deal with, how was this not a runaway win for Ruff?

I don't have a problem with a player praising his coach. I DO have a problem with a stupid, NC johnny come lately reporter labeling the award as a "snub."

Please, people ... if you're going to rip on the media, at least get a clue as to how they do their jobs before doing so.

Luke DeCock didn't write that headline, and has never written a headline for any of his stories. It's some nameless ignoramous on the copy desk or in design/pagination who came up with the headline. Save your vents for those that deserve it ... otherwise, you come off as a complete idiot.

Please, people ... if you're going to rip on the media, at least get a clue as to how they do their jobs before doing so.

Luke DeCock didn't write that headline, and has never written a headline for any of his stories. It's some nameless ignoramous on the copy desk or in design/pagination who came up with the headline. Save your vents for those that deserve it ... otherwise, you come off as a complete idiot.

First, that depends on the writer and the sports editor. At some papers (ones which I've worked at) writers submit their work with some sort of working headline, which he/she feels is the main focus of the article. Then the guys in page layout/design or the sports editor can change it if they wish. It really depends on the size of the sports staff & time deadlines. Its very possible that this is the case here.

Second, what part of the venting should we hold off on? Do you feel that the writer is victim of a copy editor who changed the headline and none of us read past said headline, and just got our panties in a wad about the big print on top of the story? In the first nine graphs of the story, the writer alludes to some form of a snub in seven of them, and mentions Laviolette's wish-list gag order twice. He doesn't move on from the Canes' alleged disrespect until Lindy Ruff's quote about trading for the Cup.

Right back at you. Read the article and Bmwolf21's post as well. Btw, I've written articles before so I'd like to think I know a little so as not to "come off as a complete idiot." I've written my own headliners. I certainly don't profess to know what happened here b/c I don't work at that paper and I don't know the writer, but I think at the very least that it is "remotely possible" that the writer had a say in it given that it matches pretty close to what he said in his piece. It's not exactly New York Times either. Get off your holier than thou high horse, mister- unless, of course, you are DeCock :)

First, that depends on the writer and the sports editor. At some papers (ones which I've worked at) writers submit their work with some sort of working headline, which he/she feels is the main focus of the article. Then the guys in page layout/design or the sports editor can change it if they wish. It really depends on the size of the sports staff & time deadlines. Its very possible that this is the case here.

Second, what part of the venting should we hold off on? Do you feel that the writer is victim of a copy editor who changed the headline and none of us read past said headline, and just got our panties in a wad about the big print on top of the story? In the first nine graphs of the story, the writer alludes to some form of a snub in seven of them, and mentions Laviolette's wish-list gag order twice. He doesn't move on from the Canes' alleged disrespect until Lindy Ruff's quote about trading for the Cup.

I can count on one hand the number of suggested headlines I've been given by a writer in 10 years in the business. Both sides know it's not the writer's responsibility to do that. Furthermore, given that the writer has zero clue as to the space allotted for the headline, most writers know it's a complete waste of time to even suggest a headline.

I never said Sabres fans couldn't be slightly miffed over how the headline read, just that as one in the biz, you can count on zero people taking your opinions over the news media seriously when it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

I agree completely that the general public doesn't understand what it takes for even a basic article to make it into the paper - how much travel, legwork, writing under pressure, etc - and that's why I take most criticism with a grain of salt.

That being said, just because your experience has been different (I don't know what papers you have worked at or in what capacity) doesn't mean that other writers/editors don't do things a little differently. As cgang and I have both mentioned, some writers do write a headline on whatever they are submitting, and some editors prefer they do. Personally I have always added some sort of headline to any article I write - it gives my editor some sort of guideline as to what I feel the most important point of the article is; and frankly, I have a little more time on my hands, working on just one article, as opposed to my editor who is facing the daunting task of trying to review (potentially) dozens of articles, all coming in at the same time. The way I look at is this - if he/she hates it, they can change it. That's what they get paid for. If I've ben wasting my time, or doing it wrong, well, no one has said a thing to me about it in over 8 years of writing, so...

My other point is this - you seem to be missing the whole idea of this thread - the posters on here are not upset at the headline. Really, who cares about the headline if it doesn't match up with the article? They are more concerned with the content of the article - where the writer alludes to Laviolette being snubbed (at least twice) and mentions his comments about his "gag order" request in the ECF (also twice). I think ultimately people here are more upset about Carolina's constant whining about being disrespected, despite being the SC Champions (God, I hate writing that phrase) -- especially knowing what Lindy did this year to earn that award - but Rod (and the writer) seem to want to plant the idea that Lindy somehow stole the award.

I don't want to go back & forth with you on this, as there are more pressing threads to spend time in, such as "how do we get Pronger from the Oil" and "When will the New Unis be unveiled?" so I'll try to end my thoughts here. Again, as cgang said, I don't profess to know how the working relationships between the News & Observer's writers & sports editors are, or what the editors' expectations are, so I am open to the idea that Luke DeCock (just typing that name makes me chuckle) wrote only his copy and left the headline to the editors. All we were pointing out was that its not a hard & fast rule that writers write only the copy, and editors/page layouts guys do the headlines - there are papers that do things differently.

I can count on one hand the number of suggested headlines I've been given by a writer in 10 years in the business. Both sides know it's not the writer's responsibility to do that. Furthermore, given that the writer has zero clue as to the space allotted for the headline, most writers know it's a complete waste of time to even suggest a headline.

I never said Sabres fans couldn't be slightly miffed over how the headline read, just that as one in the biz, you can count on zero people taking your opinions over the news media seriously when it's clear you don't know what you're talking about.

you worked in the industry for 10 years, you must know how every single newspaper works! After all, it all works the exact same way as yours did. <_<

Archived