OLN Absolutely stink

Corp000085

doug weight scored a goal by obviously kicking the puck, and it BARELY glanced off of his stick. the goal was waved off but allowed after further review. the oln guys (john davidson and the other clown) went on and on for literally 5 minutes as to the "bad call". then when their review that they had used over and over was slowed down, you could see the deflection, and they said "my bad" or something. complete maroons. it was obviously deflected on the first review at full speed... they should have immediately corrected themselves. and we wonder why ratings are so terrible... geez

its not the reason why the ratings are low, but when you hnave a guy completely JOB an obvious call (upon further review), it sets the casual viewer up for changing the channel and checking out mythbusters on discovery channel

Well, I wasn't exactly riveted to the game at that point, so maybe I missed how obvious it was, but I sure was screaming about what a garage league the NHL... until I saw the overhead angle a few minutes later. I think the announcers get the benefit of the doubt on this one. And I don't really recall Emrick and Davidson being too strong in their disapproval. They sounded very surprised for sure.

Well, I wasn't exactly riveted to the game at that point, so maybe I missed how obvious it was, but I sure was screaming about what a garage league the NHL... until I saw the overhead angle a few minutes later. I think the announcers get the benefit of the doubt on this one. And I don't really recall Emrick and Davidson being too strong in their disapproval. They sounded very surprised for sure.

upon further review, i think it may have been an OLN production error? who knows what these guys were seeing in the press box. either way, it was a weird situation...

I'm glad I get CBC. At least HNIC has decent announcers. (although Don Cherry's time has pretty much passed. He's essentially a side show these days.)

The CBC announcers pretty much declared it to be a goal once the first few replays were shown, long before the actual announcement. They also pointed out that the first goal deflected of the skate of the defenseman trying to block the shot. I wouldn't be surprised if the OLN announcers missed that completely as well.

Uhhhh, that's not why ratings are low. Mike Emrick is one of the great play by play guys of all time and is headed for the Hall, if he isn't already in it. Davidson... he's OK.

I generally like Mike Emrick but I thought he was pretty poor in a lot of the OLN broadcasts. Especially the earlier playoff games. Davidson is just poor. Adds little insight to the game and just seems to prattle - to his credit he did notice when a team brought out their fourth line.

"Now there is the fourth line!" - he seems to able to nail that one at least.

He has made a career out of using this formula: "There's X and he's is great at _______ ."

Of course their spotters/production staff could be worthless too.

Uhhhh, that's not why ratings are low. Mike Emrick is one of the great play by play guys of all time and is headed for the Hall, if he isn't already in it. Davidson... he's OK.

Yes it was wonderful hearing them say on Sat that Carolina gave up no goals in the 3rd period during the playoffs, only to have the other state their stat was 23-6 in the third. No back track, no correction, just skimmed over it like no one heard it. Geez! Hall of Fame material? NOT

Archived