RICK JEANNERET!!!!! MAKE SURE EVERYONE TUNES IN

navybillsfan

Im not folding no chairs here guys..... We will win! But...

If the NHL screws us over again...... <_<

This could be the last time we hear Rick guys.... Sabres hockey and all us fans will miss this guy!

Rick Jeanneret (born in Switzerland and raised in St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada) is the television and radio play-by-play announcer for the National Hockey League's Buffalo Sabres. Having started with the team on radio during the 1971-72 season, he is the longest-tenured announcer in the NHL. He began television duties during the 1995-96 season. Jeanneret, a Canadian of Swiss descent who bears an uncanny resemblance to the late comedian Rodney Dangerfield, is known for his self-deprecating humor, energetic delivery, colorful player nicknames and passionate goal calls.

In 1963, Jeanneret took over the play-by-play of a Niagara Falls Flyers Junior A hockey game for the regular announcer, who had become sick. Jeanneret became the color analyst the following season before assuming full-time play by play radio duties in 1965. In 1971, Jeanneret had a trial run doing the call for the Cincinnati Swords, the Sabres' top minor league affiliate. When the Sabres took the ice for their second season, for a game with the Pittsburgh Penguins at the Aud on October 10, 1971, Jeanneret was in the radio booth high above the ice surface.

From 1984 until 1992, he did the Sabres' play-by-play in addition to being a popular early-morning disc jockey at CJRN-AM in Niagara Falls, Ontario. In 1992, he chose to retire from CJRN and concentrate solely on the Sabres. "I had enough of two jobs. I finished the game, came home and had to be up by 4 a.m.," he said.

Jeanneret, whose own nickname is RJ, helped close the Aud on the final night of the regular season in 1996 with an emotional tribute to his colleague Ted Darling, who was the voice of the Sabres from 1970 until worsening of his Pick's Disease forced him to retire in the midst of the 1991-92 season. "I wish that standing next to me right now was Ted Darling," said Jeanneret from the ice surface in a postgame ceremony. "See you in September, one block in that direction," said Jeanneret, pointing toward the new arena, then dubbed the Crossroads Arena and now called HSBC Arena after a stint as Marine Midland Arena.

In 2005, Jeanneret and the Sabres released a CD that collected some of his most memorable calls. Proceeds from the CD, which was titled Roll the Highlight Film, went to charity.

Some of Jeanneret's most memorable calls:

:AND THIS SERIES IS GOING BACK TO WHERE JIMMY HOFFA IS! BACK TO THE MEADOWLANDS IN NEW JERSEY!"

After Dave Hannan's goal in game 6 of the 1994 Eastern Confernce Quarterfinals against the New Jersey Devils.

"Oh Now Do You Believe, Now Do You Believe, These Guys Are Good, Scarrrrry Good!"

...after Jason Pominville's series-winning goal in the 2006 Stanley Cup Playoffs against the Ottawa Senators.

"LA LA LA LA LA LA LAFONTAINE!"

...after each goal scored by Hall of Fame center Pat LaFontaine in the early to mid 90s.

"MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY! MAY DAY!"

...after winger Brad May's spectacular series-clinching overtime goal at Memorial Auditorium, or the Aud, against Boston's Andy Moog in game four of the first round of the playoffs in the 1992-93 season. Of the call, Jeanneret would later say, "It just happened and I came out with the remark. All I can say is it was spontaneous. The words just came up. People ask, 'Did you plan to use that call?' How could I do that? That man (May) hadn't scored a goal in 29 or 30 games. If I were going to plan ahead, I'd start with No. 16 (Pat LaFontaine), No. 89 (Alexander Mogilny) or No. 10 (Dale Hawerchuk)." Despite his insistence that the call was spontaneous, Jeanneret had used "May Day!" at least once before, when May scored an overtime goal to beat the Blues at the Aud in January 1993.

"TOP SHELF WHERE MAMA HIDES THE COOKIES!"

...after a goal is scored into the top part of the net. (Jeanneret has admitted he heard this catchphrase years ago but could not remember who the announcer was.)

"STUUUUUUUUUUUU BARNES"

.... after a goal by Stu Branes was scored

"CALL A COP! CALL A COP! HE ROBBED HIM BLIND!"

...after a Sabre goaltender makes a spectacular save.

"ARE YOU READY LEGION OF DOOM? HERE COME THE BUFFALO SABRES!"

...after Derek Plante's game 7 overtime winner in the 1st round of the 1997 playoffs against the Ottawa Senators.

Some of Jeanneret's nicknames for Sabres players over the years include...

The French Gorilla (Donald Audette)

The Little Devil (Miroslav Satan)

The Sandman (Geoff Sanderson)

Bobby O (Bob Sauve)

Captain Crunch (Michael Peca)

Alexander the Great (Alexander Mogilny)

The Boogeyman (Bob Boughner)

Wow-ie Hous-ley (Phil Housley)

Oo-la-la Pierre (Pierre Turgeon)

Matt the Rat (Matt Barnaby)

The Rayzor (Rob Ray)

Rick said recently, basically, that his days are numbered. Broadcasting days, that is! I forget the exact words he used -- something like he would retire "sooner rather than later." You can go back through the news links at sabresreport.com and find the article.

I think before the lockout, he was ready to retire, but the "new" NHL and the "new" Sabres have revitalized him. Obviously he'll have to retire at some point in the near future, but I doubt it'll be after this season. At worst, they could give him a limited travel, Keith Jackson-type deal and allow him to announce home games, with his future replacement handling road trips...

Not sure if there's any truth to the rumor, but I did hear that his son (also an announcer) may follow in his footsteps..anybody have any insights on the younger Jeanneret?

Rick said recently, basically, that his days are numbered. Broadcasting days, that is! I forget the exact words he used -- something like he would retire "sooner rather than later." You can go back through the news links at sabresreport.com and find the article.

I don't blame him. Dude sounds like he is on high octane coffee (about 40 cups worth) before game time and keeps downing the stuff during the game. I flirt with cardiac arrest every time I tune in to WGR for the game. I still can't believe he has been capable of being the play by play guy after all these years. He's one of a kind, that's for sure. I hope he gives us a couple more years but will totally understand if he wants to move on with retirement. Whoever his replacement will have big shoes to fill.

I doubt that Rick will retire after this season, win or loss by the Sabres. But, when the day comes that Rick throws in the towel, I hope his son will take over. The whole thing is, Mark Jeanneret has a big role with the Erie Otters as "Director of Media Relations" and as their play-by-play voice, so the Otters would hate to see him go. Although I'm sure that if he was given the chance to follow in his legendary father's footsteps, he would. I'm just hopin that Rick man's the mic for a few more seasons.

Again, too rehearsed. The dragged out "scooooooore" capped by a prepared line. I just wish he would just let it rip like the old days. Also, I'm not sure I care for the "bandwagon" reference. Direct your calls to us, the real fans, Rick, not the pretenders. I still adore the man, but it wasn't one of his classic calls.

Again, too rehearsed. The dragged out "scooooooore" capped by a prepared line. I just wish he would just let it rip like the old days. Also, I'm not sure I care for the "bandwagon" reference. Direct your calls to us, the real fans, Rick, not the pretenders. I still adore the man, but it wasn't one of his classic calls.

All of us "real fans" are "believers" aren't we?

I know what you mean though!! But every time Rick opens his mouth to call the Sabres, I love it!!

Archived