Any pressure on Carolina tonight?

Spandrel

They are already down 1-0 in the series. They've seen Anaheim dig themselves a hole in the West going down 0-2. And they have seen what happened to Ottawa when they were blanked at home.

Any chance that the Canes are going to be gripping a little bit tonight or are they unfazed by the situation?

I actually think that the Canes going to come out hot and fast tonight. I'd even bet that they score first.

I think the key to Buffalo's game is intensity, puck control, and passing in the offensive zone. They can't be kept on their heels in their own zone for 2 periods in this game. If they can play the first two periods the way they played in the 2nd on Saturday they can take the game away from Carolina and come home with a 2-0 lead. But if they play the first period stuck on defense in their own zone, the game is lost.

UPDATE: I don't want to seem like I'm selling my team short. I think they win it 2-1.

They are already down 1-0 in the series. They've seen Anaheim dig themselves a hole in the West going down 0-2. And they have seen what happened to Ottawa when they were blanked at home.

Any chance that the Canes are going to be gripping a little bit tonight or are they unfazed by the situation?

A lot of people believe that game three is the most pivotal in a series, but I think that game 2, after losing game 1 at home, is even bigger than game three.

Losing this game would force the Canes to win 2 at HSBC to get home ice back. I know they did it against Montreal, but Buffalo isn't Montreal.

I think the pressure on them will be huge tonight. And knowing that the Sabres can take any small mistake to the house, will increase the pressure all the more. The Canes have their work cut out for them.

I actually think that the Canes going to come out hot and fast tonight. I'd even bet that they score first.

I think the key to Buffalo's game is intensity, puck control, and passing in the offensive zone. They can't be kept on their heels in their own zone for 2 periods in this game. If they can play the first two periods the way they played in the 2nd on Saturday they can take the game away from Carolina and come home with a 2-0 lead. But if they play the first period stuck on defense in their own zone, the game is lost.

Agreed....my prediction is that Carolina scores first tonight and the Sabres will be playing catch-up all night. Carolina reaches deep and comes up with a 4-2 victory.

I hope the Swordsmen can prove me wrong (again).

Yeah, I'd say Carolina is going to come out blazing tonight. We went down two to Montreal and the team did a "gut check" meeting that got us back on track. While I saw heart out there from the Canes on Saturday - save for the 2nd - I think that that "gut check" meeting has already happened and you'll see a Carolina win tonight.

I also think you will see a stronger Brind'Amour on the faceoffs. That wasn't his usual performance by any means, and no one is harder on him that himself. That should give the Canes an edge tonight as well.

Looking forward to another heart-stopping game!

I think the absolute most important thing for Buffalo to do is get that first goal of the game in the 1st period, again. That will take the crowd right out of it and give the Sabres a chance to survive the opening 20 minute onslaught.

I have a completely different take on tonight's game. I see a zero-zero score well into the second period. Say what you want, but Carolina WAS motivated in game 1 and threw everything to include the kitchen sink against Buffalo. How much more effort can they have then that third period in Game 1?

My take is this is the game to watch of the series. It will be the only one that has the up and down the ice feel. Neither team scores right away and each goalie plays his a$$ off. A fluke goal is going to make the difference tonight. I see it going Buffalo's way. Sorry Carolina fans, but I do believe.

Then the Sabres sit in their zone for the entire third period and block shot after shot after shot. Carolina pulls the goalie and a frentic 90 seconds ensues. Buffalo gets a long range empty netter on a clearing pass out of the zone. That's how close I think this game will be.

I think at this point in the playoffs, the only pressure that could really affect either team would be a Game 7 ... not saying it would, but it could.

the Canes have been down in a series before and dealt with it ... granted the Sabres are a better team, but if the Canes lose tonight i don't think it will be because they choked from the pressure.

Agreed....my prediction is that Carolina scores first tonight and the Sabres will be playing catch-up all night. Carolina reaches deep and comes up with a 4-2 victory.

I hope the Swordsmen can prove me wrong (again).

It seems like this is the way to beat the Sabres, in general. Find a way to convert on early power plays to grab a 2-goal lead and force the Sabres to play catch-up the rest of the game. That is one common theme to our losses. We need to keep the game within a goal, usually. If you can jump on them early, then we get out of our game.

It seems like this is the way to beat the Sabres, in general. Find a way to convert on early power plays to grab a 2-goal lead and force the Sabres to play catch-up the rest of the game. That is one common theme to our losses. We need to keep the game within a goal, usually. If you can jump on them early, then we get out of our game.

Actually the way to stop the Sabres is to stop their odd-man breaks. Usually this happens when Buffalo fails to bury their chances (as in both game 4s against Philly and Ottawa). Ward will need to play a key role for the Canes to win. He wasn't that impressive in Game 1.

Yeah, I'd say Carolina is going to come out blazing tonight. We went down two to Montreal and the team did a "gut check" meeting that got us back on track. While I saw heart out there from the Canes on Saturday - save for the 2nd - I think that that "gut check" meeting has already happened and you'll see a Carolina win tonight.

I also think you will see a stronger Brind'Amour on the faceoffs. That wasn't his usual performance by any means, and no one is harder on him that himself. That should give the Canes an edge tonight as well.

Looking forward to another heart-stopping game!

When did the "gut check" meeting take place? In the dressing room AFTER Koivu was injured no doubt, because Carolina was LOSING Game 3 at the end of 2 (you know, the period that Koivu suffered the eye injury from the hack Williams) and the game was pretty even through 2 (except for the fact that Montreal was winning). In the 3rd and OT, Carolina took control, but it didn't happen until after Montreal lost their heart and soul.

You may be right, Carolina may win tonight, but if they do it's going to be because Carolina managed to take advantage of the Sabres #7 or #8 D-man. If Carolina doesn't take advantage of Rory or Janik, then Carolina will have a VERY tough time winning tonight.

I think there is equal pressure. I don't subscribe to the notion that all we wanted was a split. This is do or die time. Every game is as important as the last. Coming home is no guarantee of a win. Carolina has been a good road team and they did pretty well in Buffalo during the regular season as I recall. I think there is enormous pressure on the Sabres to get two and I think there is enormous pressure on the Canes to avoid being two down.

Actually the way to stop the Sabres is to stop their odd-man breaks. Usually this happens when Buffalo fails to bury their chances (as in both game 4s against Philly and Ottawa). Ward will need to play a key role for the Canes to win. He wasn't that impressive in Game 1.

Another good point. In our losses, we failed to convert our chances.

I think the absolute most important thing for Buffalo to do is get that first goal of the game in the 1st period, again. That will take the crowd right out of it and give the Sabres a chance to survive the opening 20 minute onslaught.

I couldn't agree more.

The Canes need to score first, I don't care when, just first. The Sabres seem to be the class of the playoffs when it comes to getting the first goal. Carolina has been a come-from-behind team all season but this cannot continue if they want to win this series. Buffalo is too good, damn them.

The Goat

Archived