media coverage

Eleven

1. Today's News article on Jim Lorentz (link is on main page) is right on & it's about time. Lorentz's willingness to frequently point out the Sabres' faults (and other teams' strengths) is the main reason Sabres broadcasts are less biased than most other local broadcasts. Definitely not "homer" coverage.

2. Anyone remember the last time they read a Sabres-related article that didn't have a quote from Brian Campbell in it? One good season followed by one great hit, and suddenly he's the team spokesman. I'm not annoyed; just pointing it out.

1. Today's News article on Jim Lorentz (link is on main page) is right on & it's about time. Lorentz's willingness to frequently point out the Sabres' faults (and other teams' strengths) is the main reason Sabres broadcasts are less biased than most other local broadcasts. Definitely not "homer" coverage.

2. Anyone remember the last time they read a Sabres-related article that didn't have a quote from Brian Campbell in it? One good season followed by one great hit, and suddenly he's the team spokesman. I'm not annoyed; just pointing it out.

1. My Canuck boss still bumps his gums about how biased RJ & JL are. I want to strangle him everytime. He says RJ shouldn't get so excited when B-Lo is just doing normal hockey type things. I tried to explain to him, THAT is the REASON we like him. He makes the TIME sound exciting. That is his niche and charm. What should I expect from a Leafs fan.

2. Soupy is the new team spokesman. After all, he is THE skating tomato.

1. My Canuck boss still bumps his gums about how biased RJ & JL are. I want to strangle him everytime. He says RJ shouldn't get so excited when B-Lo is just doing normal hockey type things. I tried to explain to him, THAT is the REASON we like him. He makes the TIME sound exciting. That is his niche and charm. What should I expect from a Leafs fan.

2. Soupy is the new team spokesman. After all, he is THE skating tomato.

I've heard nothing but good things about RJ+JL from the Sens fans. Many even prefer them over the CBC guys,. Although, they really hate the CBC guys.

Lorentz is a huge homer. How many times does the opposing goalie get ripped while after a goal the Buffalo goalie almost always "never saw the puck"? The biggest example of being a homer came on the Connolly hit. Lorentz thought the hit was dirty. He was fine with Campbell's hit on Umberger. In reality, they were both clean hits -- Lorentz should have been consistent.

Lorentz is a huge homer. How many times does the opposing goalie get ripped while after a goal the Buffalo goalie almost always "never saw the puck"?

Well, thats not entirely true, I remember hearing JL say on very frequent occasions "Miller/Biron/Mika/Hasek's gotta stop that one".

Lorentz is a huge homer. How many times does the opposing goalie get ripped while after a goal the Buffalo goalie almost always "never saw the puck"? The biggest example of being a homer came on the Connolly hit. Lorentz thought the hit was dirty. He was fine with Campbell's hit on Umberger. In reality, they were both clean hits -- Lorentz should have been consistent.

...nobody can teach kids like Lorentz though. "For all you kids out there..."

True, he will say that on the rare occasion. More often than not, though, he is an apologist.

Don't get me wrong. I like Lorentz a lot. And I don't believe for a minute that this is the way he WANTS to comment on the game. Other than being a homer, I think he does a great job. I'm always amazed how within seconds of a goal, he can break it all down. He often will start off by noting that "this goal started 30 seconds ago." Great powers of observation. And he's Batman for crying out loud!!

True, he will say that on the rare occasion. More often than not, though, he is an apologist.

Don't get me wrong. I like Lorentz a lot. And I don't believe for a minute that this is the way he WANTS to comment on the game. Other than being a homer, I think he does a great job. I'm always amazed how within seconds of a goal, he can break it all down. He often will start off by noting that "this goal started 30 seconds ago." Great powers of observation. And he's Batman for crying out loud!!

After getting stuck watching the opponent's feeds for most of the year (Thanks a lot, Center Ice <_< ) I feel like Lorentz is one of the more subtle "homers" in the league. He is understandably tougher on the opponents' for their sloppy play, but he doesn't hesitate to call the Sabres out if they are struggling. While he is easier on Buffalo goalies than anyone else, I definitely wouldn't characterize his Sabres criticisms as "rarely," nor would I call him an apologist -- I have frequently heard him say "that's a save that's gotta be made," or "he's got to do a better job at (insert action here - i.e., clearing the rebound, getting the puck deep on a shoot-in, etc.)" Naturally he can't have an attack-dog approach toward the team that pays his salary (in a round-about way) but I think he does a pretty good job of toeing the line between homer & critic. Sometimes he wanders too far to one side or the other, but he usually calls it pretty fairly, and manages to keep an even, calming influence in the booth while RJ is going nuts.

FWIW - for the longest time I was about as anti-Lorentz as possible - I used to imagine RJ looking at him during his pre-game previews and thinking "what the hell is he talking about?" As I have been forced to watch hacks like the Bruins, Lightning and other crappy announcing duos just deify their own team while denigrating their opponents, it has made me appreciate RJ & Batman even more. I am not saying he is the best color guy in the league (I haven't heard everyone, and you can't really judge someone based on one or two games) but I think Sabres fans are lucky to have Batman in the booth.

Archived