Vsevolod Komarov named QMJHL defender of the year

LGR4GM

8 hours ago, French Collection said:

Good thing he’s not a goalie, Sev is not a good nickname.

If I were an above-average goalie, I'd absolutely use that nickname; it's hilarious.

2 hours ago, SabreFinn said:

My concern with russian players is their patience. I am not convinced that Komarov will stay longer than two-three years in Rochester if he does not earn a spot in the Sabres line-up in that time.

I'm not sure the KHL (if that's what you're thinking) is the draw it was a couple years ago given "outside factors".

3 hours ago, MattPie said:

I'm not sure the KHL (if that's what you're thinking) is the draw it was a couple years ago given "outside factors".

Yes, that is what I am thinking. KHL is not as good as it once was, but it is hard to make a guess how good since other european teams not play against them. But I think they still pay good players good money and that might be just as important as the possibility to play against the best players in the world. But for some young russian men sports is the possibility to get out of Russia. It can be both ways.

A side track but still. I recently read a interview with Christian Ruuttu, where he told the story of Alexander Mogilny arriving to Buffalo. Unfortunately it was in Finnish, otherwise I would have shared it here. A lot of fun stories there.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, SabreFinn said:

Yes, that is what I am thinking. KHL is not as good as it once was, but it is hard to make a guess how good since other european teams not play against them. But I think they still pay good players good money and that might be just as important as the possibility to play against the best players in the world. But for some young russian men sports is the possibility to get out of Russia. It can be both ways.

A side track but still. I recently read a interview with Christian Ruuttu, where he told the story of Alexander Mogilny arriving to Buffalo. Unfortunately it was in Finnish, otherwise I would have shared it here. A lot of fun stories there.

Any thoughts on Konsta Helenius for the 24 draft?

18 minutes ago, LGR4GM said:

Any thoughts on Konsta Helenius for the 24 draft?

Definitely a coming top 6 player in NHL. It is a while since I was this excited about a Finnish player. I compare him with Kaapo Kakko, but I think Helenius has easier to adjust to NHL than Kakko and the eye test say his compete level is higher. Compared to Sabres prospects I think Benson is closest, but it might be Benson is tougher close to the net.

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, MattPie said:

Komarov has chosen to play in N.Am. for the last three years, I would guess he prefers trying the NHL.

48 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

They have mandatory military service over there. Did he skip that by coming over? 

Probably. I think they can be exempted for hockey or studying.

My son has a Russian friend who is 22 and hasn’t done his military stint. He has played junior hockey and taken college courses. I am not sure if it is required once his studies are done. He is trying to get a work visa to remain here.

3 hours ago, French Collection said:

Probably. I think they can be exempted for hockey or studying.

My son has a Russian friend who is 22 and hasn’t done his military stint. He has played junior hockey and taken college courses. I am not sure if it is required once his studies are done. He is trying to get a work visa to remain here.

Is he here? I could be wrong, but I think if you go back to Russia you still have to do it. This was part of what was involved with the Flyers and Fedotov. He didn't want to go to the Ukraine but there were some weird negotiations there as well.

10 minutes ago, PerreaultForever said:

Is he here? I could be wrong, but I think if you go back to Russia you still have to do it. This was part of what was involved with the Flyers and Fedotov. He didn't want to go to the Ukraine but there were some weird negotiations there as well.

Still here but is going back next week because of his visa. He has until the end of the year on his tourist visa so he’s hoping to return for work or school. He’s still trying to get anything.

• Thanks (+1) 1